Notices

96 Civic Turbo smoking off and on??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 96 Civic Turbo smoking off and on??

Ok since the tune session at T1 back at the end of November I have driven the car three times. Each drive is a straight shot to show a friend then turn around and back home. The last time being the third the car threw the belts again, but this time within three blocks of the house the car started to blow smoke when I gave any gas. Since I was close to home I babied it and parked it. Today I final got to looking at things and working on the fender gaps and started it up with zero issues or smoke. The car ran for awhile and sat at operating temp then out of no where it started to blow white smoke. I know that white is usually the tell tell sign of coolant which is usually a head gasket issue. So I shut the car down and looked around and pulled the dipstick to make sure there was no white foamy residue or anything and there was not. After a few minutes I started the car again and it was fine then after 10 minutes of so white smoke again but this time I just let the car idle for a little bit and then within 5 to 10 minutes the smoke stopped. At no time the entire day did the car idle weird or chug like a train (usually a blown head gasket). The engine was rebuilt from top to bottom using OEM Honda and high end parts. The head gasket is OEM Honda and was brand new. Any thoughts or suggestions to this? I know pulling the head will let me know for sure but I'm trying to avoid that if possible.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 96 Civic Turbo smoking off and on??

Compression, blowdown, and block testers should all be in your near future.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The belts are stock replacements and they are coming off with what I am thinking is due to the higher rpms and faster rpms the car is reaching. Does that make any since? The belts it has thrown are all three A/C, P/S and Alt. The weather outside is pretty cool but the first time it did this was on a fairly warm day with today being the coolest day it has run thus far. Turbo is brand new and I checked the pipes today to see if there was any oil in the lines and they were as clean the day I put them on. I need to check the oil feed line to make sure that I placed the oil restrictor on it. The turbo is a Bullseye / Borg Warner S256 that I purchased from Greg at Go-Autoworks. If that oil piece wasn't installed could this cause an issue? If it did wouldnt it have done it on the dyno? I do need to check the lashing on the valves to make sure everything is good since I haven't had a chance too since it was installed before the tune. The one thing that gets me is the car runs smooth as can be with no random hickups or erratic idle. I appreciate everyones help. This could not have come at a worse time because this weekend we were going to paint the car.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did a compression test and hit 141,142,142,143. Swapped out bad gasket with new one and the car ran for about 10 minutes then out of no where white smoke city!!!! Im lost and have no idea what to do next except to yank the head off.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This just clicked in my head. Every time the car runs for roughly 10-15 minutes then the smoke starts. Its taking the car roughly 10-15 minutes sitting with cool weather outside to finally get up to temp and the clicking noise I am hearing is probably the thermostat opening and once it reaches temp the white smoke begins!!! Any thoughts? I think I am on to something aand most likely a band head gasket??? Thoughts please
Old 01-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the thermostat should not make a clicking noise when it opens.

is your turbo water cooled ?
Old 01-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does the same thing but it just smells like raw un burnt fuel haha you check your PCV valve? also pull your down pipe off and check for oil maybe turbo seals?
Old 01-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the thermo isn't makin that loud of a noise I'm just trying to associate things to try and make since of this. As for the PCV valve it has been taken off and I installed a catch an from go autoworks. I was thinking that this may be the issue because looking at the bottom of the can it has a -10an fitting that drains back into the spot where the PCV would be and the drain appears to be lower than the return spot on the block. I'm completely stumped
Old 01-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by guessohw
Well the thermo isn't makin that loud of a noise I'm just trying to associate things to try and make since of this. As for the PCV valve it has been taken off and I installed a catch an from go autoworks. I was thinking that this may be the issue because looking at the bottom of the can it has a -10an fitting that drains back into the spot where the PCV would be and the drain appears to be lower than the return spot on the block. I'm completely stumped
hmmm I still have my PCV valve hooked up along with 2 10an Valve cover breathers welded on it doesnt hurt to have a little vaccume to suck those gases out of there and when you hit boost the PCV valve closes anyway and the catch can does all the venting mine smokes a little from time to tim but if the some desnt smell like coolant or oil I wouldnt worry dive it til it breaks! haha like I said mine does the same thing when it warms up but mine just wreaks of unburnt fuel, I wouldnt stress too much unless you are losing alot of oil or coolant
Old 01-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah see I have lost no oil or coolant. Its just a little embarrassing when your at a light and the car smokes the street out but there's nothing wrong with your car!! LOL
Old 01-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, since it's not losing oil or coolant, it could only be fuel or the natural condensation that forms in every exhaust system burning off.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by guessohw
Yeah see I have lost no oil or coolant. Its just a little embarrassing when your at a light and the car smokes the street out but there's nothing wrong with your car!! LOL
yeah I have been there trust me when my turbo seals went on my last turbo all you see is huge clouds of blue smoke I couldn’t have the windows down at all it would smoke out my whole car! but if you are not losing oil or coolant and your compression is good I wouldn’t worry! but what I would do is drop your down pipe and see if you have any oil in your compressor housing or down pipe and check the charge piping coming off the turbo as well. Also! what size piping are you running? I’m running 3" all the way off the turbo and I know when I stop to shut off the car on coldish days condensation builds up on the inside of the exhaust from the cold air rushing into the piping after it being hot for so long. Then when I start it up it burns off all that moisture. just somthing to think about
Old 01-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so as of right now you dont think I should worry? Like I said no coolant lost at all and oil is perfect and the car is running perfect with no hiccups or stumbling like a traditional blown head gasket. What would be a good way to tweak my PCV setup I wonder? Ill look at it in the morning and see what I can do. Thanks for all the input guys
Old 01-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup no problem man good luck and happy boosting!
Old 01-14-2012, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well after searching for hours online I believe that I have narrowed down the issue to the PCV. I have found thread after thread and videos doing exactly the same thing that my car is doing. Everything they are saying is to the TEE with what is happening to mine. Need to try and figure out a way to get a vacuum to the port on the back of the block. Any ideas?? Well this makes me feel alot better. Thanks again guys for the input