Notices

95 EG/EH overheating on highway - Radiator/Intercooler venting ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 95 EG/EH overheating on highway - Radiator/Intercooler venting ideas?

Hello all. I have been experiencing an overheating issue with my kswaped 95 hatchback any time the rpms are higher and cruising. I know one issue being that my intercooler is about 4 inches in front of my radiator and my rad is only a half rad. I blocked off the area that my intercooler doesn't cover in an attempt to redirect air but the problem still exists. I am planning to build air ducts to the radiator and try to give it more flow along with hood risers. I am not a fan of hood risers but with all the hot pipes and turbo being so close to the firewall I feel I could benefit from risers. Before I do this could I get some opinions and suggestions? I am trying to avoid buying another radiator. I have a mishimoto dual core and a pusher fan that came with my hybrid racing cooling kit a couple years ago. I am not sure of its brand but it reseambles a spal pusher type. I cannot fit a puller type due to charge pipes and IACV. But on the highway when the fan is off is when it heats up so I feel the fan isn't the problem.

Just looking for opinions and suggestions as I move forward, thanks!
Old 05-21-2018, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default re: 95 EG/EH overheating on highway - Radiator/Intercooler venting ideas?

Pics of the setup?
Old 05-21-2018, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: 95 EG/EH overheating on highway - Radiator/Intercooler venting ideas?

Change your fan settings in your tune so it doesn’t turn off after a set mph, if you haven’t done so already. You likely have an airflow issue if it’s overheating while the car is moving. Might have to open up the front bump some to allow more airflow at speed as well. Do you have pics of the front of the car? What coolant are you running and is your fan wired with a relay?
Old 05-21-2018, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
Change your fan settings in your tune so it doesn’t turn off after a set mph, if you haven’t done so already. You likely have an airflow issue if it’s overheating while the car is moving. Might have to open up the front bump some to allow more airflow at speed as well. Do you have pics of the front of the car? What coolant are you running and is your fan wired with a relay?
how do you set this up? I think my is by mph, I think is set to turn off after 35 mph. what setting should I enter to keep it on.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:13 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Todallybuilt
how do you set this up? I think my is by mph, I think is set to turn off after 35 mph. what setting should I enter to keep it on.
Any air that's going to enter into that system from your highway driving is going to be much faster than what any fan can provide.

I recommend venting the front bumper itself more (damn EG bumpers cover everything as the hood riser method only "draws out" ambient engine air temp, which has little effect on what's happening for the radiator to receive fresh outside air.

Something like below if you want it to look "clean"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-For-19...CModel%3ACivic

Other ways to expose more front end.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: overheating on highway

Originally Posted by Todallybuilt
I agree with what shodan just said. To set it up in your ems just set your mph threshold for the fan really high, 100mph or something like that.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:57 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Re: 95 EG/EH overheating on highway - Radiator/Intercooler venting ideas?

I’ve been dealing with similar issues in my B series ef. Try driving without the front bumper cover and behold the world of difference it makes!

After trying every other trick in the book, venting the front bumper ended up making the only noticeable difference. I just cut the front grille opening all the way up to the black trim piece (used to be about half this size). Not sure how to make it look decent on an eg bumper.

Since it is only a half rad, build a block off plate for the rest of the space on the other half of the front end, behind the intercooler. So once it flows thru, it is forced to the radiator.

Other methods to reduce underhood temps do help a little. Heat wrap, turbo blanket, etc.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 EG/EH overheating on highway - Radiator/Intercooler venting ideas?

This is how I cut my eg bumper. Not the cleanest, but it’s built to race not to be pretty lol. I seriously love my scirocco tucked radiator with spal fan, my ect never goes above 192* driving in traffic on a 90* day. I think the highest I’ve ever seen it was 195*, but I was seriously beating the living crap out of it lol. Typically if I’m rolling at 50mph or faster it just sits at 186-188*.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:55 AM

I agree with what shodan just said. To set it up in your ems just set your mph threshold for the fan really high, 100mph or something like that.
Mmm. I didn't say anything about messing with the MPH threshold of the fan. I left mine factory thermostat. No ECU settings of the fans whatsoever.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Mmm. I didn't say anything about messing with the MPH threshold of the fan. I left mine factory thermostat. No ECU settings of the fans whatsoever.
I know you didn’t I was simply stating that I agreed with all your points, then proceeded to answer his question about how to setup the mph threshold for the fan.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not sure this would help with highway speeds, but what does the shroud look like that you made for the rad? I had this aluminum shroud made for my fluidyne half rad and my fan cools my temp down in less than 10 seconds every time. The difference in airflow coming through the fan was huuuge. This pic is on my old leaking fluidyne so it's dirty but you get the point

Old 05-21-2018, 07:11 PM

I know you didn’t I was simply stating that I agreed with all your points, then proceeded to answer his question about how to setup the mph threshold for the fan.
Ahhhhh. Sorry..
Old 05-22-2018, 01:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hood vents.Best solution ever... Air layer on the hood creates a "vacuum" inside the engine bay raising the CFM passing throuth the intercooler/rad.
Best place to cut is closer to the windshield but NOT VERY close because close to windshield we have a theoretical possitive pressure zone.
At 70% length of the hood from the nose of the car to the windshield.