Notices

94 civic ex - No throttle response, rough idle, dies without foot on gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 civic ex - No throttle response, rough idle, dies without foot on gas

Hello everyone hopei g someone here can help me i have a 1994 honda civic ex coupe d16z6......
It has a sk2 pro series manifold and 66 mm t.b about it for bolt on except a bwr radiator

I recnetly put a t3t4 50 trim turbo on and it ran good didnt run long and i went to get air in my front tires hear a scrap later the car blew the turbo due to shaft play...turbine hit houseing and boom..

I replaced the turbo with a brand new one then start the car and it barely wants so run if i let my foot off the gas it struggles to stay started and eventually dies if i punch it wot it will hesitate alotthen struggle and slowly climb to its two step ive che ked literally eveything right now i have my whole head ripped off cuz u did a compression test and cylinder 1 tbrough 4 read 120. 120. 90. 80. There are no knocks no ticks no scrape cyli der walls are very smooth still.. My head i think is fried but im 100 percent sure after i changed the turbo it wouldnt let me pass 3k yes i was an idiot and tryed to see what it would do but its really getti.g me i e rebuilt just about everything on the car no c.e.l nfuel g i fuel thought it was fuel but i get fuel and my fuel pump turns over any ideas anyo e could really use some advice

New turbo same as old t3 t4 50 trim

Old turbo

Old 07-25-2016, 05:21 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: 94 civic ex - No throttle response, rough idle, dies without foot on gas

Stock fuel system and ecu?

If so you murdered a ringland more than likely
Old 07-25-2016, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 civic ex - No throttle response, rough idle, dies without foot on gas

Yes stock fuel system n a chipped p28 tune with basemap and for 91 octan no ethanol 6lbs and other little things and what do u mean ringlands??
Old 07-25-2016, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well theres your problem your block will need to be rebuild, new piston rings at minimum... you need a real tune basemaps are only meant to get you to the tuner and without driving in boost.

but you knew this anyway based on your compression results
Old 07-25-2016, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes i figured rings at minimum cuz when started i had no knocking scraping or ticking from the bottom end no smokeing suorisingly it just wanted to die really like fuel was slowly cutting off i have no scrapes on cylinder walls they are smooth still eveyone told me probally my head and head gasket but thats why im here for real experience
Old 07-25-2016, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your lack of tune is the culprit, only one way to find out, I doubt its your head gasket unless you are having other symptoms. thats besides the point as you need to tear the engine down at this point. while your at it throw out the ebay turbo as its just junk

you could do a leakdown test beforehand if you choose, however turbo with no tune is a recipe for disaster
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2016, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I currently have the head completely off next was to pull the pistons and rods and check them out but thougjt id get some advice first... My gasket idk if u can see or loomed at the pics i posted but it was changed last year and looks lime it had blue paimt on it peeling off didnt look right to me so what would u recomend as far as what u would do
Old 07-26-2016, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would rebuild the block, make sure the rods and crank are okay. New pistons are relatively inexpensive unless they are forged.

Get a new headgasket. If you already have the head off its sort of a no brainer. If you decide to re-use it, be prepared to possibly have to change it again.
Make sure your head isn't warped and just clean everything back up and put it back together
Old 07-26-2016, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Beau Olivares
I currently have the head completely off next was to pull the pistons and rods and check them out but thougjt id get some advice first... My gasket idk if u can see or loomed at the pics i posted but it was changed last year and looks lime it had blue paimt on it peeling off didnt look right to me so what would u recomend as far as what u would do
kinda a coin toss at this point, gasket does look trashed there could aslo be further damage. Now would be a good time to install upgraded pistons and rods depending on your power goals.....

what would I do? thats easy put a B series V tec in there lol, If I was forced to or really wanted D series for some reason I would build the block as stock internals dont support any good amount of power IMO
Old 07-26-2016, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I like your idea right now what my plan was as of r.n was to get a remanufactured head brand new to spec its kimda cheap close to 300 or 400 bucks i have a set of wesico pistons they are 75.5 though so i was thinkin of for r.n get another d series motor put it in till i can afford rods i want h beams and go with acl bearings and arp rod bolts and head bolts with a nippon raccing crank i can get for about 250.00 and just habe the block milled dipped and re do everything from there on ...i really wana keep my z6 and try and get some power goals from it.. But ive got a lomg ways ahead of me
Old 07-26-2016, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not very common for a head to fail, its most likely fine if anythings wrong with it most likely the valve stem seals can go bad

yea find a known good block and use that in the mean time u can build your current block for boost that always a good way to do things gives u time to save money

leave the crank stock

Last edited by 2kdrift; 07-26-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:49 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Stock injectors and stock fuel pump.

There's your problem
Old 07-27-2016, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
Stock injectors and stock fuel pump.

There's your problem
x2 + basemap