Notices

93h2beg's turbo Hunter b16 build: Now with E85 & air-to-water intercooler!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default re: 93h22eg's turbo b16 build - Now with E85 & air- to-water intercooler!

Originally Posted by TheShodan
GE are pretty much the standard when it comes to cam gears and one of the most robust builds I've ever witnessed. They are wonderfully crafted and even use ARP hardware to boot.

Other than my TODA RACING gears, they're the only other company I'd ever consider using.

agreed, arp bolts is what makes them so great imo not that Alan key crap found on skunk2 etc.

had a set, cams didn't require adjustment so I sold them and put back to stock.....im super paranoid about running cam gears and the bolts backing out lol.

Last edited by TheShodan; 10-21-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts
Default re: 93h22eg's turbo b16 build - Now with E85 & air- to-water intercooler!

Here is the mock up.

Will I have any issue with the BOV before the intercooler????

Yes the up pipe needs to be modded to fit, and I will be lowering the radiator about 1.5" to clear the charge pipe.
Attached Images   
Old 11-25-2017, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default My b16 build- not your not everyday build- wait yes it is.

A buddy of mine did me a solid, he welded the -6AN return line to my radiator for my turbo coolant line....
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2017, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 93h2beg

Will I have any issue with the BOV before the intercooler????
No

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
agreed, arp bolts is what makes them so great imo not that Alan key crap...
Agreed, I remember my first B swap having the intake cam slip to full adv. while driving (many years ago)...talk about a car barely being able to move out of its own way
Old 12-03-2017, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone know of a good radiator brand to buy? I am looking for a decent one, but don't want to spend a ton on it...

turbo cars in warm climates- what do you use?

also i am replacing the rear training arm bushings now- just pulled mine apart and looking for a better than oe version but not a road race- should i just go with a poly bushing?
Old 12-03-2017, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default re: 93h2beg's turbo Hunter b16 build: Now with E85 & air-to-water intercooler!

skunk2, Mishimoto, Koyo. Ive tried them all I think Koyo is the nicest/best

CSF is prolly decent too no first hand experience tho
Old 12-03-2017, 05:02 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: 93h22eg's turbo b16 build - Now with E85 & air- to-water intercooler!

anyone know of a good radiator brand to buy? I am looking for a decent one, but don't want to spend a ton on it...

also i am replacing the rear training arm bushings now- just pulled mine apart and looking for a better than oe version but not a road race- should i just go with a poly bushing?
Hard race bushings.... Koyo radiator.. Done
Old 12-03-2017, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: 93h2beg's turbo Hunter b16 build: Now with E85 & air-to-water intercooler!

hard race bushings ordered- what about a rear camber kit- mine are worn out bad... car will sit near stock height just want something in better condition?

I have a kingpin machine setup coming to me for the front compliance bearings and lower control arms.

suspension consists of ummm... some used shocks maybe KYB? i don't recall, but SK2 drag springs- and will be getting a traction bar as well.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:02 AM

hard race bushings ordered- what about a rear camber kit- mine are worn out bad... car will sit near stock height just want something in better condition?

I have a kingpin machine setup coming to me for the front compliance bearings and lower control arms.

suspension consists of ummm... some used shocks maybe KYB? i don't recall, but SK2 drag springs- and will be getting a traction bar as well.
I guess for me, any part of the suspension that is worn out is going to get replaced with newer equipment. If it means there's adjust-ability to it, then that's an added bonus. But I would never use used suspension on a newer setup like this, unless it was BNIB, and only used as a mock-up of some sort.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subbed for a good thread. Looking forward to some updates. How about some more pics?
Old 12-04-2017, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Will post up more pics as I go.

just picked up a Lincoln 200 squarewave tig. So I can do some intake tube welding, and numerous other projects..

as far as used parts... sometimes the budget gets the best of it. If I can find good condition lower milege parts they will get the nod. Especially when we are talking g about shocks. I'm not buying used trailing arm bushings, or used tie rod ends...
I don' know how this car is going to ride, drive handle etc. I'd hate to dump 700 into shocks based solely on their description only to not like them.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have been running pass after pass on some junk square tube for TIG welding aluminum. Not as hard as I thought it would be. I have been getting better, this picture is a few of maybe the first 10 attempts done.

Bought a nice and cheap- not necessarily nice, but very cheap- cxracing downpipes off eBay. Knowing full well i would have to modify it to fit my setup. I had to cut about 3 1/2" inches out of it and am in process of welding it back together. Stainless seems much harder than i remember... too much heat, too thick of tungsten and too thin of filler rod. But its what I had on a sunday evening.

I am pretty happy with the angle of the down pipe, and the location. Next step is to add the exhaust to the car and see if it all lines up.
Attached Images    
Old 12-11-2017, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the new tig welder! Investing in my tig setup was one of the best things I’ve ever done. Stainless is tricky, you gotta get your puddle going and get moving within 1-2 seconds or else too much heat builds up and it’s hard to outrun it. Looks like you’re doing pretty well so far, keep practicing. Being able to tig weld is an invaluable thing to know, along with being able to competently tune efi imo.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Long time no update.

continued working on my car.

buddy gets 94 b16 delsol and turbo for it. We install and tune on his for a while. Mine just sitting unfinished.
Running 10psi on a stock b16 except head studs. Cars runs good, pulls hard.
he rolls it.
yank drivetrain and scrap car. He buys bard gsr delsol.
turns out the gsr is junk. Now in process of b20vtec swap in his car. Mine still sitting.

just starting to work on mine again. Word to the wise. Just go air to air intercooler...
car starts and runs well without charge tube hooked up. No leaks in oil or cooling.
now it's time to finish buttoning it all up.
had to get creative with tube from turbo to intercooler... not much room in the engine compartment for tubing.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hate this car....

I bought the car from a kid who it had been stolen from.
so it had some questionable repairs done. Jenky wiring repairs, this and that... if it isn't one thing it is another. Ugh. Ready to part out!
Old 03-18-2019, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did a few street runs / shake down runs.

igniter failed just before the top of a hill 1/2 mile from my house. Had to push the car up the hill about 400' then coast down to my driveway. Fixed that, and got it running again.

took it out for a few test runs to see what was working and what isnt.

the wastegate was opening at 9-10 lbs ( i am using a friends tune for a similar built b16 turbo)

I unplugged the vacuum for the wastegate and saw 28lbs of boost, I pulled more timing and added more fuel before I did this.

this is going to be pretty fast. I would guess in its unturned raw form it is around 220- 250 hp. Comparing it to 2 friends b16 turbo del sols one at 300 hp other at 250. Did this on pump gas.... will be draining fuel and going to e85 for actual tuning and more street driving.

waiting on a few more parts then I will get it tuned.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:38 AM

You're a brave one to keep going. I'll give ya that..
Old 03-18-2019, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's kind of you to use such nice words. Stupid is the correct word.

we shall see. I passed a Maserati on one of my test runs, he was waiting to pull out. Put a huge grin on my face. Just fun.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They tried to talk you into the air to air from the get go. LOL

Stick with it bruh. You got the car running take your time and troubleshoot each problem. And don't do anything crazy that's gonna blow it up or cost you more money...
Old 03-19-2019, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know everyone did say go a2a. However for the stealth bit I get it is worth it, I have no big fmic, through the grille everything looks stock. The car sits at stock height or maybe a tiny bit taller.
sits on oe honda rims, need to find some fat fives though.
I ordered a bunch of little stuff to continue working on the car. My buddy lent me his 4 port boost solenoid i will be adding in soon.
boost gauge is coming and manual boost controller as well ( just to play around before its tuned with the solenoid)

the power comes on so quickly with the hunter turbo, I'm seeing tons of psi by 4k. And with the b16 lsd trans I'm at 4k very quickly.

have a 4 day weekend coming up will try to put some time into it.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93h2beg's turbo Hunter b16 build: Now with E85 & air-to-water intercooler!

Got a little more work done on the car. ChangeD the trans fluid to honda mtf. Still have a grind in 1st to 2nd. Looks like a synchro rebuild is in order.

I hate the solid motor mounts in the car. I'm thinking of replacing them with OEM mounts.

Anyone have experience running a decent HP motor on stock mounts?
Old 03-27-2019, 07:51 AM

Default Re: 93h2beg's turbo Hunter b16 build: Now with E85 & air-to-water intercooler!

Got a little more work done on the car. ChangeD the trans fluid to honda mtf. Still have a grind in 1st to 2nd. Looks like a synchro rebuild is in order.

I hate the solid motor mounts in the car. I'm thinking of replacing them with OEM mounts.

Anyone have experience running a decent HP motor on stock mounts?
I currently still run the stock mounts on my car, at over 500 horse power.

What I did was I use all stock mounts, and used an engine torque dampener from Igalls. I don't believe they still make one for the DC 2 chassis, however I believe the ones for EG And EM1 chassis are still available.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

What I did was I use all stock mounts, and used an engine torque dampener from Igalls. I don't believe they still make one for the DC 2 chassis, however I believe the ones for EG And EM1 chassis are still available.
The stiffy is available for sure for EG chassis.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

I like my Mishimoto radiator its the only radiator I know of that has a lifetime warranty no questions asked! after I totaled my car a long time ago I threw away my crushed mishimoto radiator and got a new one only to find out they told me if I would of sent it they would of replaced it for me.. But now I know!
I hear the polyurethane make noise too, mine are up for replacing and I'm going to go with OEM!

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
agreed, arp bolts is what makes them so great imo not that Alan key crap found on skunk2 etc.

had a set, cams didn't require adjustment so I sold them and put back to stock.....im super paranoid about running cam gears and the bolts backing out lol.

Happened to me..

Originally Posted by Autoworks
No

Agreed, I remember my first B swap having the intake cam slip to full adv. while driving (many years ago)...talk about a car barely being able to move out of its own way
Years ago I purchased brand new Skunk2 Titanium cam gears and had Church Auto tune the car and adjust the cams, a few days later because the bolts were torqued down to hard they created hairline cracks that broke the cam gear apart and destroyed my head! I couldn't get no one to own up nor churches or Skunk2 they blamed each other! I literally took one in the *** there!

NRG makes a engine torque damper for the DC2 I have one I need to put back on this week!
Old 03-29-2019, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr

NRG makes a engine torque damper for the DC2 I have one I need to put back on this week!
I have an NRG torque mount and through MY experience, wasn't impressed passed the first week or so. It did well at first then just kinda... Bleh... I don't think I'll be using it this time around since I now have some 75A mounts. If I do, it's only for aesthetic purposes.

Quick Reply: 93h2beg's turbo Hunter b16 build: Now with E85 & air-to-water intercooler!