Notices

93h2beg's turbo Hunter b16 build: Now with E85 & air-to-water intercooler!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts
Default re: 93h22eg's turbo b16 build - Now with E85 & air- to-water intercooler!

My hand has been recovering nicely, working on my truck the other night I took a cutoff wheel to my bad hands pointed finger. straight in deep enough to need stitches. which i opted not to do. LOL. then I got the flu, fever sweats, no energy, massive fatigue, huge mental fog etc... So no progress on my build.

Can I use a -8 drain for my turbo back to the pan? its literally 4 inches. This is also a water cooler garrett unit from STC.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: 93h22eg's turbo b16 build - Now with E85 & air- to-water intercooler!

imo stick with -10 for the turbo drain line. Check my thread and lightning tegs thread for how to get the proper drain line angle with that mini ram manifold.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, crap.

We are in negotiations to purchase our house. Thinking I may need to sell off a toy or two. Sadly the Honda would be the first one to get the axe.

Since it isn't together, maybe i just part it out and see what I can get for all the parts?

I'd really like to finish this build, but another 15k (not just this car) would really help out with the down.... I guess I can always buy another car and turbo down the road.

I'm sure so many have had to do the same. At least its not because I'm having a kid!!!! So it could be worse. LOL
Old 04-08-2017, 10:16 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 93h2beg
Well, crap.

I'm sure so many have had to do the same. At least its not because I'm having a kid!!!! So it could be worse. LOL
Nope. 2 houses moved, married, kids, and kept both cars since 1999. We would just put a hold on projects, because we know how little we'd get back for selling our parts... I'd just put it on hold and go for the house. But you won't get that much back
Old 04-08-2017, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Shodan thats so true...

I have 4 projects right now maybe about $1k needed per project to finish- looks like ill have some unfinished things this season. Dang. My fiancé told me this morning I was't going to sell ****.

Guess ill just sit back and watch for a while.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Thats where I am at this year, probably next one too. Hate seeing car sit but I know Id regret it if it was gone
Old 09-17-2017, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Move is done- didn't buy- no y minutes from work vs old house of 1.5 hr commute.

Buying parts like crazy now-

wondering about tires-
Old 09-18-2017, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What size wheels you running? New R888r have rolled out, haven't seen stellar reviews but they seem to be a decent upgrade. How aggressive you planning on going with the rubber?
Old 09-18-2017, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am running konig forward- 15" x 6.5" they are the white and pinks- they came on a car i bought to flip. they will get the good old rattle can treatment!

I was thinking along the lines of MT ET series-

Just ordered all my intercooler parts-
still doing the air to water idea. Hopefully have them in a week or so. Head gasket is a few days out.

I left out an update- assembled the motor and went to spin it over and (used head) and had a stuck valve. Took it to my local shop he did a nice valve job and replaced 2 valves.

So ordered new head gasket today-
have a flywheel coming ,brake master upgrade, cam gears, and some other misc parts.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Air to water will be neat once you get it sorted out, and should be solid for future upgrades as well. Full drag build?
Old 09-19-2017, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ET streets if you're trynna do some dig racing.. nice soft sidewalls help. R888/R888R are a bit too stiff on the sidewall for my liking for digs.. Great roll racing tire though :D and I love how the R888R comes in 235/50/15 now, not that big *** 60 sidewall that kills the top end haha.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Geis
Air to water will be neat once you get it sorted out, and should be solid for future upgrades as well. Full drag build?
Street car. Just hated the giveaway of a fmic. Never liked how looked either.

I will have a tank in the trunk and a small radiator up front to cool the water, Bosch pump to a2w ic.

I like the idea of BFG drag radials, but they seem to have poor review as far as traction in goes.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:44 AM

Street car. Just hated the giveaway of a fmic. Never liked how looked either.

I will have a tank in the trunk and a small radiator up front to cool the water, Bosch pump to a2w ic.

I like the idea of BFG drag radials, but they seem to have poor review as far as traction in goes.
R888s aren't known for traction, either, except for in a turn or at higher speeds. But to start off from a light? hehe.. No.
You're an FWD car with more than 130% more power than the power/drivetrain was designed for. you gotta pick your poisons, and understand that traction will always be an issue for a Honda FWD street car w/o AWD. that's just how it is..
Old 09-19-2017, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

BFGs are terrible

If your trying to get digs in, you want a drag radial but they aint gonna last. If its just occasional highway pulls, an extreme summer tire or R888 will do it.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is my 4th car... it will get driven maybe once a week after the newness wears off. Since its an e85 car, and the e85 station is way out of my way i suspect it will get less and less road time.

I am thinking et streets, but dang they are so tall- might as well be a 4wd truck!!!!!
Old 10-02-2017, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Parts are showing up all the time now.

called cometic, had a gasket made at the thickness needed... its thick. LOL. It has arrived-

Ordered universal intercooler piping, receiver all of my intercooler parts, ice / water tank, cooling pump and a small radiator, cam gears have shown up-

I bought a "sweet" 3" Ebay exhaust and a good turbo muffler. I will chop off the silly muffler the kit comes with and weld mine on. I did this a few times in the past with excellent results- its hard to beat for the price.

Have not decided on suspension yet, not going to autoX this, just street and a few times at the local 1/4 mile track. I have however decided on the Mickey thompson et street R- not really a street tire at all, but should work well for straight line.

I live in a an area where the MEDIAN home price is $600,000 and rising. It is not for the working class (which I totally am) This is a basic 2 or 3 bedroom house, on a small lot. Not a mansion. It is just absolutely stupid here.

I cannot count how many supercars I see on the road on a day to day basis. Everyday I see at least 10 model S teslas, several that are P90D and up, I see a particular GT3 once a week, seems like every friday he has it out, but I see others as well (his has green rims) numerous ferraris, bentleys, lamborghinis, G-wagons-

For my job ( estimator for a specialty construction company) I go to custom homes that have cost several million to build- one home I went to was nearing $100 million in construction costs.
These are private residences! I also go to ridiculous wineries and meet the owners of them.

Why am I talking about this in my Honda civic Build thread? Well, its these guys I see on the road daily, who seemingly have all of the best things in life, who have been handed life on a silver platter (yes some of them work for it), I talk with these people, I see how they look down upon the rest of us 99%ers. They talk AT me, not to me.... They get onto their 6 figure sports car and take off like they own the road, like the world owes them some debt of gratitude for just being alive.

I over heard a client joking around how his cable had been shut off, he was telling the story to another guy, he ended up saying the account numbers had been switched and he had been paying for someone else's bill. He laughed so loudly when he told his friend "its pathetic, that some poor guy out there could not make the $500 payment"

I have been that poor guy before, I have had my accounts over drawn, credit cards maxed out and just plain behind.... All while some A hole sits a fancy retreat sipping on cocktails at 10am chuckling about how much better he is than the rest of "us".

This is ONE reason why I am building an underdog car. Just ONE of many reasons, but seeing what I see everyday, in my home town that has changed so much in the last 10 years.

I may never have the 6 figure job, the $2,500 pair of shoes, or the $5,000 watch, the million dollar home or a new exotic / sports car every year. BUT NO WAY I WILL LET THEM BEAT MY *** IN A STOP LIGHT TO STOP LIGHT RUN.

I don't want those shoes, or that watch or that home.... I want a fun fast car that makes people wonder how they got took in their bi turbo AMG blah blah blah by a little white dented civic.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I definitely understand the life coming first part. One second you think you are building a race car, the next you are getting married and buying a house, but do as was suggested, just put the build on hold, as you are going to get raped trying to sell a half finished project.....
Old 10-15-2017, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

New question

For 400HP do I need to go to COP?

I have read so many contradicting things says yes COP is a must and just as many saying the OE ignition system is capable to 600 HP.

No sure what to believe. Do I go COP for my modest goals or just run it as is?
Old 10-15-2017, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

New question

For 400HP do I need to go to COP?

I have read so many contradicting things says yes COP is a must and just as many saying the OE ignition system is capable to 600 HP.

No sure what to believe. Do I go COP for my modest goals or just run it as is?

no definetly not, cop is not a "must" at all. I think the highest OEM ignition was like 700HP. generally its not even recommended till like over 500HP.

The best advise I have gotten on this is not to worry about it, if you have issues then start upgrading. My build clocked in at 430HP without a single ignition related issue, This was with a brand new OEM coil and ngk wires.

You might look into getting an accel OEM replacement coil as there cheaper and supposed to be better then the OEM.

accel Coil ---->
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by 2kdrift; 10-15-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

tough to say.. I had a local friend make over 700 on stock ignition.. ( i was pretty shocked/impressed too lol) and i had other friends have ignition related issues making 500-600.. i say i wouldn't touch anything unless it's giving you an issue :D
Old 10-16-2017, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 94 Likes on 84 Posts

Yearly ignition replacement parts, ngk wires, and the rotor screw backin off on me once was all the reason i needed.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright good advise. Thank you.

I am now waiting to get my engine hoist back from my buddy and I will be dropping in my motor and trans, then can start the rest.

Right now I have Konig forward rims - white with the pink stripe. I hate them. But I did get them for free. Bought a car with them on it, swapped rims, fixed car sold it.
I had some all white SI replica style rims which i really liked but they didn't clear my brakes. I would have needed to run a .250" spacer and the wheels would have already been dang near flush (not the look i am going for).

Any input on a good and inexpensive rim ? Or should I just paint the pink white and be done.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i got duped on eBay buying a set of BLOX cam gears. thankfully eBay is taking care of it. I got them and looked them over thinking they looked kinda cheap...

So getting a refund and now looking for a new set.

I really like the GE look with the marks for the cam adjustments very large and easy to read. Anyone have any real world exp. with them?

Also had to pull my head back off.... had dumbazz attack... LOL. was pulling the valve cover off thinking "wow i need to put plugs in the motor to keep **** from falling in" then proceeded to drop a 10mm nut right down the number 3. crap.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 94 Likes on 84 Posts

Telescopic magnets works wonders from valves and nuts
Old 11-09-2017, 03:43 PM

I really like the GE look with the marks for the cam adjustments very large and easy to read. Anyone have any real world exp. with them?
GE are pretty much the standard when it comes to cam gears and one of the most robust builds I've ever witnessed.They are wonderfully crafted and even use ARP hardware to boot.

Other than my TODA RACING gears, they're the only other company I'd ever consider using.

Last edited by TheShodan; 10-21-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Quick Reply: 93h2beg's turbo Hunter b16 build: Now with E85 & air-to-water intercooler!