Icon3 '93 honda Del Sol Si-Turbo

Hi my name is Rob and this is my set up:

T3/T4 turbo
Tial Knock-off Wastegate
Intercooler
Greddy Knock-off BOV
Neptune program for OBD1 ****
Custom 3" Exhaust **
Forged I-Beam connecting rods (Revolution)
Vitara Forged Pistons (020; .5mm over)
Comp. Clutch Stage 4 6 puck
650cc Injectors ****
APR Head Studs
Blox Performance Intake Manifold
Adjustable Cam gear
Underdrive pulley
Timing belt
Water Pump
Gaskets
Platium Fusion Spark Plugs
Large Blue TunerView **will get when it goes to get tuned****

**** = Getting when i take car to IMW for tuning
**= Getting made but probably will get after tuning is done

I think thats a decent list off the top of my head i could be missing some stuff, but please anyone and everyone give me your advice on my build i am keeping the D-Series Engine i want to see what i can get out of it for the same price i'd pay to build a B or K Series engine so please do not tell me to swap. if you have advice please post it.

The kid that owned it before me told me to my face 3 days after i started the tear down, that he never knew you had to change the oil in a car....... just so you can imagine the engine when taking it apart not pretty

Thanks for furture advice and i'm looking forward to this forum

Rob §

TEAR DOWN PHOTOS:
Click this bar to view the full image.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 640x480.

Before Rebuild:
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 640x480.

REBUILT:

'93 Honda Del Sol Si Turbo From No motor to SEXY Motor!!
Old 04-08-2009, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: '93 honda Del Sol Si-Turbo

I would get rid of the underdrive pulley.(bye bye bearings)
and get a catch can.
get some NGK R plugs and get rid of the ones you have
looks like ebay stuff, goodluck with your build
Old 04-08-2009, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Crank was balanced with that pulley so no bye bye bearings i made sure i did that right. and nothing mechanical was bought off ebay. even if it may look like it. but thank you for your input

Rob §
Old 04-08-2009, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you need a harmonic balancer.
the pulley is not going to absorb vibrations from the crank.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mangina
you need a harmonic balancer.
the pulley is not going to absorb vibrations from the crank.

Agreed. Its not about being balanced. The crank will always have vibrations running through it and without a harmonic balancer to absorb them they are absorbed by your bearings...
Old 04-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Car and build look good! Good choice taking it to iMW for the tune! Im also on HBGtuned with the same name as here.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Dont cheap out on the most important piece of a turbo build..
Old 04-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob§
Crank was balanced with that pulley so no bye bye bearings i made sure i did that right. and nothing mechanical was bought off ebay. even if it may look like it. but thank you for your input

Rob §
Harmonics don't come from something being out of balance, and its the destructive harmonics that shatter oil pumps. A dead oil pump will help take out anything that needs lube.

FYI chinese junk isn't limited to ebay. No matter where you got that manifold, its the same one that my friend had the WG elbow tear off, which ruined both his Tial and oil pan (when he ran it over!). Same for the turbo, its the CDM knockoff that has more failures than success. If there are no grinding chunks removed from either of the turbo's turbine/compressor wheels, its not balanced no matter what you were told.

Besdies that, I'd suggest you get a Comp cam at the least. The IM won't do a whole lot with a stock cam.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Blouchs Turbo inspected and confirmed that the turbo is in great condition, so i'll take their word with their reputation. As for the pulley i understand what everyone is saying but there is no way i am going throw a stock one back on with out tearing everything apart and having it balanced with the stock pulley on.

I'll take all inputs and advice into consideration.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Blouchs Turbo inspected and confirmed that the turbo is in great condition, so i'll take their word with their reputation. As for the pulley i understand what everyone is saying but there is no way i am going throw a stock one back on with out tearing everything apart and having it balanced with the stock pulley on.

I'll take all inputs and advice into consideration.
Why not? What redline do you have planned?
IMO stock balancer owns that pulley balanced or not.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:15 PM

Should have spent a bit more snd bought a garrett or turbonetics, you will regret getting a cheap one eventually. looks good tho!
Old 04-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

everything looks great besides that pulley, TRUST us we are trying to help you Guy, we built my bros turbo crx and within one month spun a bearing or 2 because of that exact pulley, after tear down and looking at all the bearings, they were TRASHED....AND we had the motor completely balanced with that pulley. It was simply because the pulley does not have any "rubber" dampening absorbers in it like a oem pulley. There are tons of vibrations within the motor and they NEED to be absorbed by the harmonic balancer, now if you just have a hunk of aluminium for a pulley, the bearings are going to be receiving these vibrations. Oh and you can simply throw on your oem harmonic balancer and will NOT have to get it re-balanced. You will be completely fine Bossman.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/ctr-pulley-oem-better-2543878/

look what can happen! just stumbled across this.....the pulley he was using is also NOT dampened
Old 04-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

z6 pulley is not harmonicly balanced, no rubber anywhere within that bitch.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

get a exh. mani from go-autoworks.com Gregs **** is legit!
Old 04-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As for the pulley i understand what everyone is saying but there is no way i am going throw a stock one back on with out tearing everything apart and having it balanced with the stock pulley on.
you dont have to tear anything apart. just zap the balancer bolt off and put the stock balancer bolt back on. easy.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ching chong parts
Old 04-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

def nice
Old 04-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck with the vitara build! just not too sure on your turbocharger. even if it looks new or is i dont hear too much good things about it.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep, those cheaper pulleys are known for shattering gears. I know some one who said when they installed one, it broke the pump and destroyed his motor.

OEM FTW.. Or ATI/Fluidampr
Old 04-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also be aware the mani will be a toss up. I'v seen good and bad things about them honestly. One of my friends has had no issues with the mani it was braced and everything. On the other hand my other buddies turbo froze up on him and when he took it off his mani, a piece of the manifold fell off inside the exhaust housing of his turbo, it wass a good $.25 size piece of the mani.

The build looks good though! Best of luck when you get it running!
Old 04-09-2009, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Icon3 Re: '93 honda Del Sol Si-Turbo

Originally Posted by BiggieBert
Maybe you're used to gettting z6's with b7 pulleys? Mine all have rubber.

Rob, did Blouchs Turbo take the compressor/turbine covers off and check it on their VSR balaning machine? Did they disassemble it and check the straightness of the shaft? If they were expecting a legit turbo, they wouldn't - they'd only be looking for excessive shaft play and serious oil leakage above 50psi.

All the more I'll say is that of the 4 people I PERSONALLY know that have used the chinese turbos, 4 had their turbos fail within the first 2k miles. I also have PERSONALLY taken a picture of that manifold with the WG port ripped off. FYI it had bracing too.

IMO you don't seem to be taking any advice into consideration, I think you're wallet is making you turn a blind eye... Ignoring an inconvenient fact won't make the outcome any better, my friend. BTW take a quick look here: https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2543878
Old 04-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am taking all into consideration, trust me. i have been doing everything i can to comply with the info the knowledgeable people on here are giving me. this is the first honda i have ever done so i have to take the advice. i was all DSM before i know nothing about honda's and i am completely willing to admit that. you are taking what i am saying the wrong way. when you tell me something that could arise i am just responding with what i have done with what i have been told will help. i do not mean to come off arrogant of any sort and i hope you all can understand i am more than willing to comply with everyones info and i am asking questions to experts with the info you all are giving me to stop the rough effects that could result if i do not change anything.

As for my "blindness" its not my wallet thats stopping me, it's Time. i am in the Military and when you have a MAX of 2 days a week to attempt to work on your ride getting info, consuling with experts, perping, and building, it's a matter of resources and homework. i have studied this engine up and down i have tried to do everything i can reading alot of forums here and many other sites to see what others have done and what has worked and what has not. My build is not "TOP OF THE LINE" but you have to understand that this is not a Daily Driver this is just a weekend warrior, its not meant to do 10 Seconds in a quarter mile its meant to get up and go, i am building this car for show and go its just a hobby of mine i like rebuilding engines and i take great pride in the work i do.

But please don't insult me by saying that i am not taking what you say into use, when all i am saying back is what i have done after being told by many other people would solve or lessen the negative effects, i am not flat out saying NO I WILL NOT DO WHAT YOU SAY, or I DONT CARE WHAT YOU SAY. so please do not take it that way.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BiggieBert

I had to use to Z6 Blocks to put this engine together do to one having a crack in one of the crankshafts and both had NO RUBBER on either crankshaft pulley, i took it in to a honda dealer to get a BRAND NEW crankshaft pulley YESTERDAY and after spending nearly $150 or whatever it cost i get the exact same thing and there was no rubber on this one and it was straight from Honda so can some one please show me a pic of theirs so i can understand what this HB thing is cause this is the third one that i have seen for my motor without rubber?????????????????????
Old 04-10-2009, 03:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Replaced the Knock-off Tial WG with a REAL Tial WG with a 15 lb spring.

J-K Tuning will be tuning my car in two weeks with NepTune software on the Dyno.

Can some one please show me a pic of this Harmonic Balancer so i an see where/what it is????

Quick Reply: '93 honda Del Sol Si-Turbo