Notices

92_civic_eg's D16y8 Turbocharged build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 92_civic_eg's D16y8 Turbocharged build thread

So I figured out my vtec issue, Got a spare y8 head off my buddy and opened it up to find that there is 8 individual synchronizing pins

Just before installing the pins

The 4 pins I was missing

After putting the first 1 in and trying to show the empty primary rockers

Got it all back together and could definitely tell the difference with power and sound

Last edited by 92_civic_eg; 02-25-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Took the car for a tune with the new goodies

Got some new headlights, really like them, went ahead and resprayed my front bumper and also got a new windshield recently

It was in the 240whp range with just the 9psi spring in the wastegate, most he squeezed out was 247whp before turning up the boost controller. Just a lil shy of my goal for the first tune but now i wanted lil bit more power

Got a better picture this time lol

So we figured around 300whp would be good on 550cc injectors and 93 pump, tuner estimated 18psi to reach it.
I reached 290whp at 14psi but figured squeeze a little more out
Final numbers for the day was 312whp 249tq at 17psi, Not bad! I am happy to have it running smoothly and it pulls pretty hard haha

So thats where it is for now, pretty excited to actually have some power

List for next modifications includes
A quality turbo
Bigger intercooler
750cc+ injectors

Last edited by 92_civic_eg; 02-27-2017 at 05:04 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice project, im really surprised that no one here mentioned that sfi injectors are junk,

dont forget to update
Old 02-27-2017, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

very nice. ill have a back door intercooler for sale if interested message me.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RACEPAK
nice project, im really surprised that no one here mentioned that sfi injectors are junk,

dont forget to update
Thanks, and yeahh I even checked out there website and stuff looked legit but all well learning better now lol

Originally Posted by ssmrico
very nice. ill have a back door intercooler for sale if interested message me.
Thanks yo, and probably not anytime soon how its lookin for me right now, tight budget lol Plus I didnt expect to put as much more in it as i just had to but when i am looking if u still got it lmk

So only update now is that I am having overpressurized coolant system, seems like a head gasket issue i hear its pretty common on boosted d16's, my old radiator hose looked like a water balloon lol
And it started smoking toward end of dyno tune and now its worse, I'll have to see if head gasket fixes that at all, but i also feel the 'ebay turbo' seals arent holding up too well
Old 03-02-2017, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mines started doing the pressure issue and hose lol now its down for headgasket and upgrades
Old 03-02-2017, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 03-07-2017, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I went ahead and got the headgasket done, I used a felpro permatorque mls gasket, all because my buddy still had an unopened one laying around so i gave it a shot..
It still seems like the coolant system is overpressurizing

Also fixed a leak on the tube that runs along the back of the block.
I got a 90 that screws right into the turbo's return flange, this is the most efficient looking return line i could come up with, the center cartridge is angled at about 15-20 degrees so the 90 is facing downward instead of straight back, But i am pretty sure this crappy turbo just will not stop smoking, Next thing I am on the lookout for is a name brand turbo, I really do regret bothering with this cheap kit because none of it works besides charge piping, Everyone tried to tell me but I insisted on learning the hard way
Couple pics

Blue gasket goin in

Now this picture is what i believe confirms the head gasket was blown, The bottom side of each gasket shown, one to left is original gasket that came out when the valve dropped, It is not missing any black material around the cylinders edge, the one to the right with about same milage (both under 3k) is missing almost all the material around the cylinder egde
All done

I got this all done last thursday, but i really feel its not fixed, and this time around i went ahead upto 70ft.lbs on the arp head studs but i think its safe to say i still am seeing too much pressure in my coolant hoses, not as much as before but i still lose a little coolant and constantly have air in the system, my temp guage does not go past half tho, It wouldnt even over heat with the last gasket in, I'll prolly try swapping out my coolant temp sensors with ones i got laying around to be sure

mines started doing the pressure issue and hose lol now its down for headgasket and upgrades
Yeahh i'm not too happy about it lol Goodluck on yours tho
Old 03-07-2017, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thx ill be taking head off hopefully in a week or two after new turbo kit is mocked and done
Old 03-07-2017, 02:44 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

OP, I didn't see it listed but what crank did you go with?
Old 03-07-2017, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You really should have the head checked for flatness with a precision straight edge, if you don't have one and the right size feelers gauges then take it to a machine shop and have them check it. With a new head gasket and arp headstuds torqued to spec you should not have issues unless either the head or block need to be resurfaced.

Ive never had issues with felpro head gaskets, but I always had both matting surfaces checked for flatness. The only other thing I can think of is if possibly your torque wrench isn't accurate. Did you use arp lube on the head stud threads, washers, and nuts? One more thing the stock temp gauge is basically useless lol.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thx ill be taking head off hopefully in a week or two after new turbo kit is mocked and done
Nice nice, sounds like some bad *** ****'s comin

Originally Posted by tony_2018
OP, I didn't see it listed but what crank did you go with?
It is a Y8 crankshaft, looking back i should of used a z6/a6 crank but I had some pretty big bearing clearances and run rotella 15w-40

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
You really should have the head checked for flatness with a precision straight edge, if you don't have one and the right size feelers gauges then take it to a machine shop and have them check it. With a new head gasket and arp headstuds torqued to spec you should not have issues unless either the head or block need to be resurfaced.

Ive never had issues with felpro head gaskets, but I always had both matting surfaces checked for flatness. The only other thing I can think of is if possibly your torque wrench isn't accurate. Did you use arp lube on the head stud threads, washers, and nuts? One more thing the stock temp gauge is basically useless lol.
The surfaces are what i am starting to worry about, I am making a plan to order another headgasket and check flatness while its apart this time, i dont have the tools but see what i can get, probably just bring head to machine shopp since itll b easy to, Torque wrench may be an issue since ive had it forever but really have barely used it just sits in the box
Old 03-08-2017, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

eh really slow but going haha
Old 03-08-2017, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sucks to see the motor let go like that but you put out more torque than my B16 haha.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

eh really slow but going haha
Well hey progress is progress

Originally Posted by gutted-dx
Sucks to see the motor let go like that but you put out more torque than my B16 haha.
Yeah but i dont plan on letting it give up completely, but hey more torque than a dohc thats not bad to hear lol

So I got a new turbo It is a Garrett T04b journal bearing

It is .60 a/r and 55mm wheel on intake side, and .63 a/r and 57mm stage 3 wheel on exhaust side

Rated at 200-480hp so I think its the perfect size for my d16 goals, and the price i got it for I couldnt resist haha, looks great and is really clean

Also i got a new torque wrench, and have another genuine oem head gasket, hoping to have the issue resolved by the end of the week and have the new turbo installed, If all goes well i plan to leave it around 300hp for now and see how it does for a while

Last edited by 92_civic_eg; 03-21-2017 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:53 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Oh yeah, that's the H-3 cast wheel. I remember that well.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Oh yeah, that's the H-3 cast wheel. I remember that well.

I was hoping you would chime in lol
Would you agree it was a good choice? From what I can understand on turbo specifications it seems to me like the perfect one
What is the max psi this turbo will still be efficient at?
Old 03-21-2017, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by 92_civic_eg
I was hoping you would chime in lol
Would you agree it was a good choice? From what I can understand on turbo specifications it seems to me like the perfect one
What is the max psi this turbo will still be efficient at?
I wouldn't go far as to describe it as a good choice, but it's definitely not a bad choice due to its compressor cover and layout for the car's power goals. Even I would consider this pretty old technology to use, but at least it's a Garrett. But I will say that if it gets destroyed (especially the compressor wheel), don't bother rebuilding it. Few people will ever have that wheel to sell anymore, (over 25 years old) so you'd have to upgrade anyway.

I'd say about 22psi (1,5Bar) is about as good as you'll get with some good race fuel. About 20psi (1,36Bar) with E85.

Looks like you're pretty good to go.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I wouldn't go far as to describe it as a good choice, but it's definitely not a bad choice due to its compressor cover and layout for the car's power goals. Even I would consider this pretty old technology to use, but at least it's a Garrett. But I will say that if it gets destroyed (especially the compressor wheel), don't bother rebuilding it. Few people will ever have that wheel to sell anymore, (over 25 years old) so you'd have to upgrade anyway.

I'd say about 22psi (1,5Bar) is about as good as you'll get with some good race fuel. About 20psi (1,36Bar) with E85.

Looks like you're pretty good to go.
Hell thats good enough for me haha, I dont mind not having the latest and greatest technology as long as its reliable, and its efficiency range is within my 2.5 bar map sensor so thats not too bad either
Old 03-21-2017, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by 92_civic_eg
Hell thats good enough for me haha, I dont mind not having the latest and greatest technology as long as its reliable, and its efficiency range is within my 2.5 bar map sensor so thats not too bad either
Well, you'd have only up to 22psi that your map sensor will see anyway. You'll surge at the 20psi mark.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A thought on your coolant issue, remove the thermostat.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by CivicxTree754
A thought on your coolant issue, remove the thermostat.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright so more bad news, this time I realized I had more issues than the head gasket, if that was an issue really I still feel like i cant say for sure

My pistons are cracked and even show signs of detonation

But even if it was detonating, I realized something that made me feel pretty stupid, I put the damn pistons in backwards, as in the intake side is on the exhaust side.
I did do the block knotching and had to mock it up a few times but still I dont know what I was thinking or how I missed that all the way until now..

So my build is turning into a vitara build now because I cant afford any high compression pistons at the moment, should be close to 8:1 cr from zeal compression calculator, and they should be delivered tomorrow

Also I am rebuilding the head, I definitely had some leaking valve seals contributing to the smoke, and a valve bent slightly at the top of the stem, I think from taking so much force to break the keepers free from the previous ti retainers

But at least the turbo looks good and is ready to go lol
Also I am definitely taking the head to machine shop to be cleaned and shaved, gonna clean the valves on my own tho

So another d16 vitara coming soon
I pretty much have my whole build on my bench but its ok, I feel confident it will be done right this time around, and luckily the damage wasnt horrible yet
Not giving up on my single cam
Old 03-27-2017, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sucks man but glad and cant wait for new build
Old 03-31-2017, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sucks man but glad and cant wait for new build
Yeah for real lol but thanks bro

So I got the pistons in earlier this week but still havnt gotten around to installing them, the YCP vitaras look really nice tho seem to be pretty well built

Got the head done was only 40 bucks at local mahine shop to clean and make it flat, i didnt bother to pay the extra to shave it anymore because money is tight at he moment but in the future I plan on having high compression pistons again and probably be using this head for a while

Also put the new valve seals in there, just waiting on the single intake valve for everything to be ready

So here goes a legit round 2 of my build, see what it does at low cr but with the garret turbo, i'm excited i think she will do good

Quick Reply: 92_civic_eg's D16y8 Turbocharged build thread