Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 92_civic_eg's D16y8 Turbocharged build thread

and after that he can save up for a new turbo as well
Old 01-24-2017, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
There's a write up somewhere where I describe the two types in complete detail. I'll need to find it. but suffice it to say, get rid of that flange in the meantime.
Alright i'd be interested to read it because i dont want something small turn into a big problem, But car probably will be tuned as is tho. I'm looking for different fittings, i see the 2 bolt from turbo to female 1/8" npt but i cant find a 1/8" npt male to 4an male adapter that is restricted.. and only 2 bolt restricted adapters i find are the cheapo ones lol

Originally Posted by Schister66
Not to be that guy, but you'd better start saving up some $$ for when that manifold cracks.

THIS is the manifold i'd replace it with
Thanks either way man i dont mind people pointing out the weak spots, thanks for the suggestion I do need to be on the look out for a quality manifold but i really like the way a true ram horn looks, hopefully this cheap one can hold out til i manage to get my hands on a real one

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
and after that he can save up for a new turbo as well
Yup that'd be the plan, probably just gonna start collecting everything itll take to reach 400+whp while im at it
Old 01-24-2017, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 01-25-2017, 05:51 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Write up is out there. about 3 years old at least. I just don't have the time anymore to find it. I searched for 20 minutes for you the other day. I have so many write-ups within threads of the last 13 years on H-T alone It's hard to catch anymore.
You'll find it.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I dont have any good news for the thread, dyno day went pretty bad to say the least.

Drove over an hour and a half to my tuner, made it there okay and everything looked good to go from there

Made a couple runs and vtec was not engaging and after some trouble shooting a alot more runs we narrowed it down to something internal of the head.

With a 9psi spring the car made 169whp and 163tq around 5000rpm and just about falls on its face from there.. Pretty disappointing but i didnt mind that very much just figured fix the vtec and come back again..

Things only got worse when i left, Pulling out of the place i ripped off my exhaust from the steep entrance Lol.

But worst part was i didnt make it very far with the car on my way home, left from there, grabbed food, then at least 20 maybe 25 minutes down the road- everything seemed okay.. so i ended up getting on the throttle and even with no vtec my car got up went from around 75 to over 120 with no problem

Then about another 5 minutes passes by and im just crusising going over the howard franklin bridge which is 3 lanes each direction and 3 miles along, about half way in it my engine looses all power and dies, would not start again, i had to have a tow off of the bridge, get a ride home with my friend that came along, then come back the next day with a uhaul to tow it... Pretty crappy day for me honestly

But im not planning to give up, havnt had much motivation to inspect it too much but i pulled the vlave cover and the head looks all good, more to come soon i guess

Last edited by 92_civic_eg; 10-09-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it seems the motor was just heavily flooded somehow, I guess an injector stuck open or malfunctioned, now that i look into it some more i no longer will be using the smart fire injectors either way, My fault i didnt really do any research before buying them but now I plan on running RC engineering 550cc injectors

It was weird because on Monday cylinder #4 and #3 tested at 60 and 90 psi, then i didnt bother to do the other 2, so I was busy next couple of days, then tested it again thursday and #4 was 155, #3 was 100, #2 at 140 and #1 at 150. So i put the n/a header, stock injectors, and with p2e ecu car started right up

When i looked at the engine I realized my wastegate flange cracked all the way around lol, we all knew it was going to happen but damn was it soon. Good news is, a new to me manifold is on the way

I have not yet removed my cam girdle to inspect the vtec components, But i will have it done by the time i get my new manifold and injectors, hopefully Im just missing one of the vtec locking pins or somthing. Then maybe i will have a successful dyno run and be able to drive my car again!

More to come
Old 02-03-2017, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow you had quite a journey with this car, and I've been there, done that. I've had great luck with Injector Nations i think the 1000cc is around $300 now and get that manifold fix and have them weld a brace on the wastegate flange. I'm one of the sohc turbo guys and been messing around with honda's for about 4 years and so far so good. Live and learn...
Old 02-03-2017, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ahh sorry to hear that man. always nice to see a D16 build in this day and age. good luck man
Old 02-05-2017, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jun Villaruz
Wow you had quite a journey with this car, and I've been there, done that. I've had great luck with Injector Nations i think the 1000cc is around $300 now and get that manifold fix and have them weld a brace on the wastegate flange. I'm one of the sohc turbo guys and been messing around with honda's for about 4 years and so far so good. Live and learn...
Thanks, I feel it has come a long way even tho u cant tell much by just looking at it lol, And I have followed your build for a while it is impressive, Definitely an example that helped me stay with my original plan, even when everyone around me tries to say it isnt worth it.
And i have RC injectors for now, tho they arent big enough for my higher goal i got them locally from a friend for a deal, Also a better manifold is on the way, one that i feel i can trust even when i want to turn up the boost

Originally Posted by Cigarbufff
ahh sorry to hear that man. always nice to see a D16 build in this day and age. good luck man
I appreciate it bro, thanks for the support
Old 02-05-2017, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

edit:nvm saw my answer
Old 02-07-2017, 07:11 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about the manifold (and all your other bad luck). This thread should serve as an warning to anyone else looking to buy eBay turbo parts - the manifold lasted like what, 2 weeks? Pretty quality stuff there....
Old 02-07-2017, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn boo, it all happens for a reason tho cant wait to see it 100%
Old 02-07-2017, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Please dont go cheap with those ebay turbo manifolds, or at least buy a cast iron one, they works well.

Here is my top mount, maybe ugly but strong for shure, i make it with schedule 40 tubes

Old 02-07-2017, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

coat it and it will be pretty lol
Old 02-07-2017, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

seeems like your in the tampa area. Who tuned it?
Old 02-10-2017, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
Sorry to hear about the manifold (and all your other bad luck). This thread should serve as an warning to anyone else looking to buy eBay turbo parts - the manifold lasted like what, 2 weeks? Pretty quality stuff there....
It lasted like an hour lol, car broke down 20 minutes down the road, towed it home first thing i realized after i was home is that the wastegate flange was broken

Originally Posted by ssmrico
damn boo, it all happens for a reason tho cant wait to see it 100%
Yeah I hear ya, and thanks. Me too yo lol Itll be soon

Originally Posted by Roy Leyva
Please dont go cheap with those ebay turbo manifolds, or at least buy a cast iron one, they works well.

Here is my top mount, maybe ugly but strong for shure, i make it with schedule 40 tubes

Yeah I didnt go cheap i just went used with the next one, That top mount is sick but probably a little too serious for my daily haha

Originally Posted by bcintron95
seeems like your in the tampa area. Who tuned it?
Jap data tuning, a guy named Daniel Church

So i made progress today with my car, got the new manifold in the mail and tested fitment, will need some exhaust reworking lol but i dont mind because it looks sick! its a blue ridge motorsport 'tornado style' t3 manifold, I got it used from another honda-tech member

Also I have my RC injectors in

And getting my Turbonectics manual boost controller setup so i can turn up the boost An Omni power 2.5 bar MAP sensor to go in as well

For the next tune my goal is 290whp

Last edited by 92_civic_eg; 02-10-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks to be headed in the right direction now. I like that manifold, a little over kill for your goals, but I think it looks cool. Good luck with the new tune!
Old 02-11-2017, 02:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mannnnn get yourself a new tuner lol Jap sucks.... your better off with CubaTuning. I know from experience.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like
Old 02-13-2017, 07:58 AM

Much better start to what you're doing. Yes. slightly overkill, but a good deal is a good deal.

Keep it up!
Old 02-13-2017, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

but when u go more boost and power manifold will be there
Old 02-13-2017, 11:42 AM

You'd be surprised how far a good tubular log exhaust manifold will go efficiently. So, far about 530whp on Californiadad's GS-R no backpressure issues.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
Looks to be headed in the right direction now. I like that manifold, a little over kill for your goals, but I think it looks cool. Good luck with the new tune!
Thanks bro, But yeah pretty much haha looks sweet and should give me room to grow

Originally Posted by bcintron95
Mannnnn get yourself a new tuner lol Jap sucks.... your better off with CubaTuning. I know from experience.
Yeah i have no experience with tuners but he didnt seem too bad, I have heard a lot about Cuba but some good some bad, and heard of a few others but its hard to see true results, looked like Church was doing a lot of cars on crome recently so i went with it lol, talking to a local street tuner to try and get my tune cleaned up but we will see how it goes

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Much better start to what you're doing. Yes. slightly overkill, but a good deal is a good deal.

Keep it up!
Thanks, Yeah i couldnt pass it up really, should last me a long time and do whatever i need it to

Definitely, My end goal is 400+whp, maybe 450.. So im thinkin it should do great
Old 02-13-2017, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright i got the car running again today with all the new parts besides MAP sensor, and it drives ok, partial throttle and idle is crappy but it definitely needs a retune for the changes. It pulls good but just cant really cruise

Almost cant stop looking at the new manifold I love it. Still need to finish up the downpipe and dumptube but its looking good for now, and i had to get a spectre air filter, only thing the part store had that would fit lol.

And this is just a picture i took bfor i thru it in there
Old 02-14-2017, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice. reminds me I need to get a new wg

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 92_civic_eg's D16y8 Turbocharged build thread