Notices

716_ISPYPSI's D16 Turbo Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: 716_ISPYPSI's D16 Turbo Build Thread

A D2B is not something I'd consider as a "must have" at the power you want to make;a healthy D trans will be fine. Add a LSD and you'd be great. Id also suggest keeping the head porting/intake manifold porting "simple".
Old 07-11-2018, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Long time no post!

Finally back in town after a few week hiatus... almost ready to start ordering bottom end internals but until then I decided to strip down the head and get her ported and polished. I am going to post all the top end stock internals in the marketplace but if anyone that sees this that knows anyone who wants stock d16z6 head internals.. send them my way!

Also, im gonna browse and possibly post in the regional forums but if anyone is familiar with WNY and can recommend a good Honda shop, or engine shop, for the head work that'd be great! Thanks guys.

Pistons and rods on order next, so get ready Autoworks haha.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And it has finally begun! Received these beautiful things today.. and the pistons are due to arrive Wednesday. Props to Autoworks for the smooth transaction and speedy delivery. Once the pistons are in, the block is being shipped out to CSS for some services. Can’t wait.

Quick thread discussion starter:
ACL race bearings vs OEM bearings.

it seems to be a heated topic from what I’ve researched and I’ve seen pros and cons for both. ACL is a uniform clearance and is more for an aftermarket crank unless crank is polished (which mine will be) while OEM is recommended for stock crank and block however not sure how the OEMs will hold up with the power I’m going for.

Any info from you guys on here would be great, as of now I”m leaning towards OEM.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And saying not sure how they’ll hold up with the power was an honest statement and not trying to brag about having a lot of power haha I truthfully don’t know much about them and whether they’ll hold up for more than just bolt on power.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by 716_ISPYPSI

And it has finally begun! Received these beautiful things today.. and the pistons are due to arrive Wednesday. Props to Autoworks for the smooth transaction and speedy delivery. Once the pistons are in, the block is being shipped out to CSS for some services. Can’t wait.

Quick thread discussion starter:
ACL race bearings vs OEM bearings.

it seems to be a heated topic from what I’ve researched and I’ve seen pros and cons for both. ACL is a uniform clearance and is more for an aftermarket crank unless crank is polished (which mine will be) while OEM is recommended for stock crank and block however not sure how the OEMs will hold up with the power I’m going for.

Any info from you guys on here would be great, as of now I”m leaning towards OEM.
I went with clevite standards and they're doing just fine at near 350whp. You're inviting a holy war about bearings though. This is a HUGELY debated subject that leans toward OEM. Good plans so far, I'm definitely in to see the progress. Not much D love these days! If I may toss some info: save money on the head port and polish; stock head is good for well past your goal. What it would benefit at this level is port Match and cleanup: i.e. just smoothing them out- cleaning casting defects. Unless you're shooting for 500+, pnp is overkill. I'm still stock everything in my head and doing well at my power level. Stock sleeves (and bore) are good in your power goal range on pump gas (91-93) with a good tune. Over that and you get into the iffy zone, and the D doesn't like detonation. Your block and girdle will need notching for those Manleys. I'm sure you're prepared for that.
I'm always open to questions if you're having difficulty finding something. If I don't know it, I'll certainly tell ya and if I do, I'll gladly share it. Looking forward to the progress posts!!
Old 07-28-2018, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
I went with clevite standards and they're doing just fine at near 350whp. You're inviting a holy war about bearings though. This is a HUGELY debated subject that leans toward OEM. Good plans so far, I'm definitely in to see the progress. Not much D love these days! If I may toss some info: save money on the head port and polish; stock head is good for well past your goal. What it would benefit at this level is port Match and cleanup: i.e. just smoothing them out- cleaning casting defects. Unless you're shooting for 500+, pnp is overkill. I'm still stock everything in my head and doing well at my power level. Stock sleeves (and bore) are good in your power goal range on pump gas (91-93) with a good tune. Over that and you get into the iffy zone, and the D doesn't like detonation. Your block and girdle will need notching for those Manleys. I'm sure you're prepared for that.
I'm always open to questions if you're having difficulty finding something. If I don't know it, I'll certainly tell ya and if I do, I'll gladly share it. Looking forward to the progress posts!!
Thanks for the info my friend! and yeah from what I've seen on a bunch of different sites is that the bearing debate is REAL haha.

The more I look into D builds and the route that I'm taking, I very well might dial it up a bit and shoot for 500whp, as long as its done right. Just taking it one step at a time and trying to 'over-kill' it in a way so that I can dial it up when the times right, and if I stick around 4-450, then at least I know the chances are way less of detonation. Internal debate of HP greed lol

I also had a feeling I was going to have to notch it but thanks for the confirmation.. a few questions on that, from what I've seen it definitely is a do-able process in the comforts of my home however should I have that done before I ship it out to CSS treatment? I've already emailed the guy too much for information before I ship it out so if I send one more he'll probably ignore me haha.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info my friend! and yeah from what I've seen on a bunch of different sites is that the bearing debate is REAL haha.

The more I look into D builds and the route that I'm taking, I very well might dial it up a bit and shoot for 500whp, as long as its done right. Just taking it one step at a time and trying to 'over-kill' it in a way so that I can dial it up when the times right, and if I stick around 4-450, then at least I know the chances are way less of detonation. Internal debate of HP greed lol

I also had a feeling I was going to have to notch it but thanks for the confirmation.. a few questions on that, from what I've seen it definitely is a do-able process in the comforts of my home however should I have that done before I ship it out to CSS treatment? I've already emailed the guy too much for information before I ship it out so if I send one more he'll probably ignore me haha.
At home is definitely doable. There are videos that give good instruction and if you're any kind of competent, you'll figure it out by your lonesome. Install the rods and turn the crank and mark where they land; grind down enough material til they pass smoothly. Rinse and repeat. I won't lie and say I did it with the utmost of confidence, but I took my time and went slowly. It turned out successful. Was it "pretty"? Not really, but it was darn sure functional lol! I wouldn't think it would matter really, to be sure, you'd probably be best to ask them. Since they should be cleaning up the block when they are done, it may be a good idea to do it before if you can. The girdle itself shouldn't matter one way or the other; before or after.

I'm really digging the plan. You're gonna get the bug when you really dig into it.. Welcome to the addiction!
Old 07-28-2018, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

At home is definitely doable. There are videos that give good instruction and if you're any kind of competent, you'll figure it out by your lonesome. Install the rods and turn the crank and mark where they land; grind down enough material til they pass smoothly. Rinse and repeat. I won't lie and say I did it with the utmost of confidence, but I took my time and went slowly. It turned out successful. Was it "pretty"? Not really, but it was darn sure functional lol! I wouldn't think it would matter really, to be sure, you'd probably be best to ask them. Since they should be cleaning up the block when they are done, it may be a good idea to do it before if you can. The girdle itself shouldn't matter one way or the other; before or after.

I'm really digging the plan. You're gonna get the bug when you really dig into it.. Welcome to the addiction!
I'm starting to love my little D16 after reading so many people knocking it (no pun intended) and throwing shade. Give me some time to do this right and I'll have one mean SOHC. Just need to find a shell at the end ...
Old 07-31-2018, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Notching w/ the H beam is common. If you are sending the block to CSS for assembly, then just let Jeff notch it while it's there as it's a basic part of assembly for the D motor (notching the bottom of the cyl and girdle).

Props to Autoworks for the smooth transaction and speedy delivery
Old 07-31-2018, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

He’s just boring/CSS/polishing crank. I will be assembling it once he ships he block the back, I’m gonna notch it before I ship it to him. Doesn’t seem like too much pain in the behind.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

He’s just boring/CSS/polishing crank. I will be assembling it once he ships he block the back, I’m gonna notch it before I ship it to him. Doesn’t seem like too much pain in the behind.
It isn't at all.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Would you like to chime in on the bearing debate?!
Old 07-31-2018, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My thoughts, sure (no interested in debating) I've used both ACL race and OEM Honda in built motors. Never had an issue out of either. My last built D series had OEM honda bearings (which made a little over 600whp 10 yrs ago, my S2k ... same power, ACL race bearings. 2 of the last 3 CSS blocks I had for customers were all assembled w/ OEM, 1 w/ ACL race... ). It boils down to personal preference and tolerance IMO. I assemble a lot of turbo kits, not a lot of bottom ends. I would ask someone that has assembled A LOT of Honda bottom ends and will give you an unbiased opinion with a clear reasoning without trying to sell you on either over the other...if that makes sense.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Autoworks
My thoughts, sure (no interested in debating) I've used both ACL race and OEM Honda in built motors. Never had an issue out of either. My last built D series had OEM honda bearings (which made a little over 600whp 10 yrs ago, my S2k ... same power, ACL race bearings. 2 of the last 3 CSS blocks I had for customers were all assembled w/ OEM, 1 w/ ACL race... ). It boils down to personal preference and tolerance IMO. I assemble a lot of turbo kits, not a lot of bottom ends. I would ask someone that has assembled A LOT of Honda bottom ends and will give you an unbiased opinion with a clear reasoning without trying to sell you on either over the other...if that makes sense.
appreciate the insight, can’t wait till I’m ready to start piecing the turbo side together.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Autoworks
It boils down to personal preference and tolerance IMO.
The great bearing debate summed up right here..
Old 08-01-2018, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used ACL race bearings. Just a few days ago turbo return got cut and lost all oil. I neglected the oil pressure switch drove like 4 miles or so. then checked for oil. Oil was empty. Bearings went through hell. But survived. I have put the same bearings back and trying to drive again. Bearings were put with OE clearances.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pistons are here!! Woop woop. Let’s notch this block. I’m gonna do a step by step with pictures even though there are a million others but another one won’t hurt. Anything I should know before attempting this?
Old 08-01-2018, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Take your time and pace yourself! I wish I had done more documentation when I did mine but, it was only my girdle that needed notching and not my block. I'll put a pic in here, with your permission, of something you may see that I did and thought was a problem, but it wasn't.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Post as much as you want man, it’ll help me and anyone else who stumbles upon this thread. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2018, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What you see here is one of the notches in the girdle where I thought I went too deep. I just found a casting defect; an air bubble from the casting process. I panicked pretty hard this day. Lol! You **MAY** see something similar but don't fret.
I use this girdle now and no problems whatsoever have surfaced. I'd like to shout out to TheShodan for consoling me in my time of need and talking me down from a total meltdown! Lol!
Old 08-01-2018, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I can almost guarantee I’ll see the same thing and have a similar meltdown, so you just saved me a lot of frustration. When notching the girdle that’s more for the rod bolts correct? Also I’m still waiting for theshodun to chime in on this thread!

Did you use a handheld or drill bit?
Old 08-01-2018, 11:52 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Them pistons are purdy
Old 08-01-2018, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can almost guarantee I’ll see the same thing and have a similar meltdown, so you just saved me a lot of frustration. When notching the girdle that’s more for the rod bolts correct? Also I’m still waiting for theshodun to chime in on this thread!

Did you use a handheld or drill bit?
It is for rod bolt clearance, yes. I used a cordless drill with a rasp bit. Worked like a charm! And I also agree; those pistons are purty! 8.4 comp? I'm responding on my phone so I can't scroll at the moment. Lol!
Old 08-01-2018, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is for rod bolt clearance, yes. I used a cordless drill with a rasp bit. Worked like a charm! And I also agree; those pistons are purty! 8.4 comp? I'm responding on my phone so I can't scroll at the moment. Lol!
9.1 ... I wanted to stay in the low 9 range so these were perfect. And they oh so pretty.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

9.1 ... I wanted to stay in the low 9 range so these were perfect. And they oh so pretty.
Good range!

Quick Reply: 716_ISPYPSI's D16 Turbo Build Thread