Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   650whp clutch what have u experienced works (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/650whp-clutch-what-have-u-experienced-works-3089769/)

boostedteg4dr 09-19-2012 06:45 PM

650whp clutch what have u experienced works

Thinking about buying a competition stage 5 clutch and pressure plate. Not sure what flywheel. What works? Im not set on the competition clutch either. this is for drag only, some guys say its best to keep stock flywheel.

Hyper16-Johnny 09-19-2012 10:24 PM

Re: 650whp clutch what have u experienced works

Save up and go twin disc, you will save yourself the hassle in the long run. I'm at 577hp and have gone through 2 puck clutches this year. The first was a CC stage 5 w/ CC flywheel lasting approx 6000 miles, including 2 dyno sessions(first session making 380hp and second session making 430hp), 8 hits at track, and the rest street/fwy driving. The second was an ACT rated for 408tq w/ CC resurfaced flywheel and only lasting 4 dyno passes and 3 hits at the track. The car made 577hp and 440tq, maybe the ACT gave out quick due to the car making more tq than it's rated for. I don't think it should've gave out that quick, but for what I paid for both clutch setups, including time and hassle, I could've just went with a twin disc setup from the get go and not worry about it or put more hurtin on my pocket. Not to mention, the car is now a full drag car and does not see the street anymore so street drivability is not a concern anymore. Although I did drive my friend's Exedy twin disc setup and thought it was not problem for street. It did grab harder than any clutch I have ever driven but after getting the feel of it street driving it was an ease.

Mike Lowwryyy 09-19-2012 10:29 PM

What size motor? As mentioned before, it really comes down to how much torque you are making, but at that power level, Hyper Johnny is right... You really want to get a twin disk.

Hyper16-Johnny 09-19-2012 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Lowwryyy (Post 47885259)
What size motor? As mentioned before, it really comes down to how much torque you are making, but at that power level, Hyper Johnny is right... You really want to get a twin disk.

Yea, I didn't think the car would make that much tq and it was the fastest clutch I could get at the time to be ready to race at IFO. So I bought it, threw it in, took it to the dyno, and went to IFO.

boostedteg4dr 09-20-2012 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Hyper16-Johnny (Post 47885237)
Save up and go twin disc, you will save yourself the hassle in the long run. I'm at 577hp and have gone through 2 puck clutches this year. The first was a CC stage 5 w/ CC flywheel lasting approx 6000 miles, including 2 dyno sessions(first session making 380hp and second session making 430hp), 8 hits at track, and the rest street/fwy driving. The second was an ACT rated for 408tq w/ CC resurfaced flywheel and only lasting 4 dyno passes and 3 hits at the track. The car made 577hp and 440tq, maybe the ACT gave out quick due to the car making more tq than it's rated for. I don't think it should've gave out that quick, but for what I paid for both clutch setups, including time and hassle, I could've just went with a twin disc setup from the get go and not worry about it or put more hurtin on my pocket. Not to mention, the car is now a full drag car and does not see the street anymore so street drivability is not a concern anymore. Although I did drive my friend's Exedy twin disc setup and thought it was not problem for street. It did grab harder than any clutch I have ever driven but after getting the feel of it street driving it was an ease.

did u have the -x pressure plate?

yzracer323 09-20-2012 07:57 PM

I have run competion clutch twin and im currently on the exedy twin, both are good. I street drive mine about once a week too :thumbup:

EKgsrB18C 09-20-2012 08:08 PM

Ive had my comp stage 5 for just over a year now, 2 dyno sessions, 450whp. I am expecting it to fuck off soon but its still working as good as it did the first day i installed it. Twin disc is next step for sure i just really hate how it makes all kinds of sounds including rattling like a loose exhaust flange and squeeking when engaging, especially for dd car sounds like shit lol

Hyper16-Johnny 09-20-2012 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by boostedteg4dr (Post 47889426)
did u have the -x pressure plate?

I had the pressure plate that's rated second to the highest, which is 408tq and I believe is the Xtreme. They also have one that's rated for 487tq but I couldn't wait for it since I wanted to race. And like I said, I didn't think the car would make 440tq.

shawty22 09-21-2012 11:35 AM

Stage 5 cc here. 560whp and 405ft. Took my clutch out after 5000 miles and there was chunks missing out of the disk and my flywheel was warped. It never slipped though... Resurfaced the flywheel and got a stage 4 six puck and hasnt slipped yet. Im assuming this disk will be in chunks too when it comes to taking it out this winter.

ls_on_boost 09-23-2012 05:10 PM

X2 exedy twin disk

92redhatch 09-23-2012 06:36 PM

Cc twin