Notices

5th gear boost- i dont think i can avoid it....

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 5th gear boost- i dont think i can avoid it....

ive been hearing/reading that boosting in 5th gear is bad, mainly because it generates too much heat and can damage your motor. my problem is that boosting in 5th gear is going to be unavoidable for me -b18b with gsr tranny-. 4th takes me to 99-100mph or so, and anything after that is 5th. luckily it accelerates faster in 5th than a stock ls, but i dont know, how bad would it be to hit some boost through 5th, esepcially at the track for a little bit??

tuning will be done by me on uberdata with my lm-1. i will be shooting for a/f in the 11.5:1 area and have about 5.5-6* timing out at the 7-8 psi i will be running.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 5th gear boost- i dont think i can avoid it.... (blackeg)

I just usually just watch my egt gauge while boosting in 5th. If the warning light hits 1550-1600* I start to let off.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Its just harder on the motor since you are normally holding your foot to the floor for along time. I wouldnt say its bad for the motor however.

If your car is well tuned, has a good cooling system, i wouldnt worry about it. Not that i go out and do 5th gear pulls on the freeway everyday...but i wouldnt be all worried about it if i did either.

Just use common sense.

liam
Old 04-17-2005, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 5th gear boost- i dont think i can avoid it.... (liam821)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by liam821 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Its just harder on the motor since you are normally holding your foot to the floor for along time. I wouldnt say its bad for the motor however.

If your car is well tuned, has a good cooling system, i wouldnt worry about it. Not that i go out and do 5th gear pulls on the freeway everyday...but i wouldnt be all worried about it if i did either.

Just use common sense.

liam</TD></TR></TABLE>

^
Old 04-17-2005, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5th gear boost- i dont think i can avoid it.... (shermanyang)

yea i try to be sensible about boost when im getting on it hard. i definately dont stay in boost for more than 10-15 seconds at a time. right now my cooling system is stock, but my water pump is new.... i had an egt gauge and had to sell it to get money to finish my setup- im regretting it pretty good now. anyone have any other advice or ideas
Old 04-17-2005, 07:46 AM

maybe try swaping in an L.S final drive or even a taller tire for the track...
Old 04-17-2005, 09:55 AM

i boost in 5th gear all the time, i dont rag it out in 5th gear, but i do hit boost. one night, on my first setup, i was trying to chase down the fast version on the m3, and i boost all the way through 4th (full throttle), and then i boosted (full throttle) all the way through 5th and when i got to redline i would let off a little bit and boost some more, let off a little bit and boost some more. that was on 6lbs with a greddy blue box too.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:33 AM
'

my friend had a bone stock 94 LS teg... good condition b18b... with a t3/t4 at 10lbs. 10lbs is pretty alright for a b18b.

anyways he was trying to max out his car one time in 5th gear..... blew the rings and ringlands........
i have heard similar stories either, its not worth it.

drive normally.... if you feel the need to pass other cars on the freeway, downshift to 4 and go.

if you feel you want to boost 5th gear sometimes, i highly suggest you go get a Fluidyne radiator... i heard this radiator drops your engine temperatures as much as 20-30 degrees during idle or driving........ although that could be a good thing or bad thing.

Old 04-17-2005, 11:28 AM

Default Re: (turbodohcsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbodohcsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i boost in 5th gear all the time, i dont rag it out in 5th gear, but i do hit boost. one night, on my first setup, i was trying to chase down the fast version on the m3, and i boost all the way through 4th (full throttle), and then i boosted (full throttle) all the way through 5th and when i got to redline i would let off a little bit and boost some more, let off a little bit and boost some more. that was on 6lbs with a greddy blue box too. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I once raced a guy on this road, and i did it again, then again. And then one day i got caught by a cop and i didn't get it cause i was all like i boost every day here on this road and there are no cops.. so it didn't make any sense to me when i got caught by the police since i'[ve done it before.. i mean if i've done it before it means its ok to do it again, whenever I want....

Old 04-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Si Shane)

i guess what im getting at is that ill be in 5th at anything over 100mph, and there will be occasions where i am going faster then that.

as for trying to keep engines cooler, what about a lower temp thermostat? i have no where near enough money for a fluidyne rad anytime soon
Old 04-17-2005, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blackeg)

Basically you'll just wanna do full throttle blips in 5th, if you keep you foot on the pedal too long say good bye to your motor.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:22 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (roydogg)

Heat breaks things down, IE engine parts, oil ect. <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just usually just watch my egt gauge while boosting in 5th. If the warning light hits 1550-1600* I start to let off.</TD></TR></TABLE> Running these high tempatures is hard on car, even if its tuned right. Overall Id like to think that cooler is safer. Different EGT temps mean different things (running lean to much timming, to little timming ect) but if you have to boost in 5th, boost in 5th. If its tuned and you know your car can handle the speed and nobody else is around (cept maybe the other car your racing) I wouldnt see an issue with it.

Happy boosting

Blaze
Old 04-17-2005, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5th gear boost- i dont think i can avoid it.... (roydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just usually just watch my egt gauge while boosting in 5th. If the warning light hits 1550-1600* I start to let off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

did you ever encounter 1550-1600 in other gears? say if you're doing 1/4 mile run?

and how do you get 1550-1600 in 5th? do you ever get it if you just cruising and have to pass somebody or switch lanes on hwy? or is it only during longer runs and you already been in boost from previous gear(s)
Old 04-17-2005, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i boost in 5th all the time.. but generally its just to catch up/pass while in traffic.. not for long periods of time.

ever since turbo install, i stay in same gear to pass in traffic including 5th unless i see really low rpm.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (roydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Basically you'll just wanna do full throttle blips in 5th, if you keep you foot on the pedal too long say good bye to your motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im gonna have to disagree. If you have a good cooling system, the car is tuned right, its gonna be just fine. Look at a stock turbo car for example, a mitsubishi eclipse or a VW golf 1.8T....you can boost all day long in 5th its not gonna blow up. If you go out and go a 5th gear pull and you blowup your motor, either its not tuned right, motors not strong enough, or you overheat it.

I can guarantee you i can take my honda out on the freeway and do a 60-150mph pull in 5th at full boost without any problem. Not that i ever would do anything like that but im confident i wouldnt blow anything up if i tried.

liam
Old 04-18-2005, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with both sides on this one. I am almost done with fully-built ls and boosted it yesterday for the very first time. I got on the freeway and boosted in 5th quite a bit. Going for 80-90 mph to 125 then letting off right away. So, I guess I do a little of both.....man is it fun to just fly past traffic on the highway and not even downshift.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Teglove2)

alright well i have to admit i did a little boosting in 5th last night. it revs up quick enough in 5th between the added hp from the turbo and the gsr tranny that no matter what i wont be in 5th more than 3 or 4 seconds. last night i was pulling through 4th to about 6500 then hittin 5th from 4500ish to a lil shy of 6 grand. no breaking up or lean conditions. i think that if i keep driving like that it wont be too big of a deal...