Notices

450whp GSR help!

Old 09-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450whp GSR help!

Im far from the build process as im in the pre-stage of collecting parts, but I ran across a killer deal on a GSR longblock that will hopefully go threw before the end of this weekend. Id like to use this to start my first turbo build hoping for about 450whp, Im not made of money so this thread is more of "what parts I need" so I can steadily order parts and collect them till its time to put it all together.

For one can I even reach 450whp on Honda sleeves and a simple rod/piston combo? And id feel better about the rings seating if I bore the block over to 81.5mm, but is that safe when boosting?

A few other things, What size Turbo would be the best for my goal?
I don't know much about turbos at all as this will be my first turbo build.

I plan on upgrading the manifold to a Victor x, but what size throttle body should I run?

Also, Id like to go with a top-mount setup, Only for visual purposes, but I wanted to know what the benefits are within doing this if any?

Im going to start by building the block, and when the time comes I will take plenty of pics and put a thread up of me building the block.

Any info will help, If I get the engine this weekend I will start ordering parts withen the next 2 weeks after that so id like to know if I should just stay at 81mm or bore the block to 81.5mm soon. Thank you in advance.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 450whp GSR help!

You can get 450whp on stock sleeves but you need a good tuner and E85 is highly recommended unless you can get something better that 93 octane at the pumps. 81.5mm is fine but sleeves are good piece of mind at your whp goals. 68mm TB will be fine. IF you want a top mount setup you will be spending more $$ than a good log or mini ram set up. GoAuto has great kits at good prices. A Garrett T3T4 60 Trim .63 AR or even the 57 trim will get you to 450. Other good choices are Precision 5431, Reaper or Silver Sufer from TheShodan, Bullseye S252 and a Precision 5557 is a good choice as well. There are many turbos that will work for you power goal but they all perform differently so you need to talk with a tuner about what your goals are and what the car will be used for to make the final choice on the turbo. On the GSR block do higher compression 10:1-11:1 pistons and run a LS crank and rods so you have a longer stroke for more TQ, you will need to remove or shave down the piston oilers.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:36 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Op:
Have you thought of reading the FAQ on the top of the page?
Old 09-23-2012, 05:14 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SweeneyBuilt
Im far from the build process as im in the pre-stage of collecting parts, but I ran across a killer deal on a GSR longblock that will hopefully go threw before the end of this weekend. Id like to use this to start my first turbo build hoping for about 450whp, Im not made of money so this thread is more of "what parts I need" so I can steadily order parts and collect them till its time to put it all together.

Plenty of similar builds, you should REALLY learn how to search...

For one can I even reach 450whp on Honda sleeves and a simple rod/piston combo? And id feel better about the rings seating if I bore the block over to 81.5mm, but is that safe when boosting?

Yes, 450whp is on the extreme edge of being considered safe. Feel better about the rings being seated due to bore size? You should have someone competent assemble your engine.

A few other things, What size Turbo would be the best for my goal?
I don't know much about turbos at all as this will be my first turbo build.

Many, many, many choices... everyone has their brand favorite. It really depends on your budget.

I plan on upgrading the manifold to a Victor x, but what size throttle body should I run?

Why? For not having a lot of money to work with, why waste it on things that are unneeded? Either way, a Skunk2 66mm Alpha Series is easy on the wallet (or if you really feel like more time and money a 70mm, but is rather pointless).

Also, Id like to go with a top-mount setup, Only for visual purposes, but I wanted to know what the benefits are within doing this if any?

All I have to say is WOW?!!?! Are you even serious? You are worried about looks on a budget?

Im going to start by building the block, and when the time comes I will take plenty of pics and put a thread up of me building the block.

A dime a dozen...

Any info will help, If I get the engine this weekend I will start ordering parts withen the next 2 weeks after that so id like to know if I should just stay at 81mm or bore the block to 81.5mm soon. Thank you in advance.

This will be decided by your competent engine builder.
Cheap, Fast, Reliable... You may only choose 2.

You gave us no idea (other than 450whp) what your goals are. Is this a daily driver? Race Car? What exactly is your budget? There are MANY different ways to build a 450whp engine... some much better than others. You can do it on 93 pump gas without issues as well. Quality parts are much better idea than worrying how something looks. How "cool" it looks isn't going to get you home or win you the race. Read the FAQs, because you have A LOT more to learn than you realize.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:17 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

im starting to wonder if you have under a certain post count, if when you click on FI it automatically links you to the FAQ
Old 09-23-2012, 05:17 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Also, here are TONS of different combinations for your exact setup. Get to reading boy!

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/post-your-turbo-gsr-hp-numbers-1501150/
Old 09-23-2012, 06:14 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This is one of those "pull a random horsepower number out of thin air" kind of thread.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:31 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Originally Posted by wantboost
im starting to wonder if you have under a certain post count, if when you click on FI it automatically links you to the FAQ
co-sign
make it happen bruh
Old 09-23-2012, 06:33 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
This is one of those "pull a random horsepower number out of thin air" kind of thread.

co-sign
im starting to see that on another forum im on.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:37 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Old 09-23-2012, 06:43 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SweeneyBuilt
Do your research, Plan ahed...
OP should take his own advise. Start with the FAQs and search out other comparable build threads. It's not that hard.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:46 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Originally Posted by wantboost
Lol