Notices

3inch downpipe w/ e cutout-->3inch midpipe or stock? Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3inch downpipe w/ e cutout-->3inch midpipe or stock? Difference?

Alright guys. I'm getting very close to boosting my car and I was wondering if y'all can help me out.

First of all,
Motor is a stock b20v
57trim ITS/Garrett
550cc, Walbro 255, blah blah blah, supporting mods.

It's going to be a daily driven car and WILL be retaining the stock Integra R muffler. Car will be tuned with the cutout openeD BUT, I was wondering if there would be any gains with the cutout closed(daily) and a 3inch midpipe to the stock muffler as compared to the stock midpipe and stock muffler.

I know you guys are going to say "just open the cutout when you're going to smash the gas"..and "it's going to throw off the tune with the cutout closed", but I just wanted to know what you guys thought.

MY theory was that the exhaust gases were goin to eventually have to run through the tiny muffler anyway, it didn't matter what size downpipe I chose to run, but I could be wrong.

Please no negativity
Old 07-17-2011, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 3inch downpipe w/ e cutout-->3inch midpipe or stock? Difference?

There may be some, but it will still be enough - and quieter. The muffler will be the biggest restriction by far. I think it was Jeff Evans who said this - on a low-300's ITR, he gained 20hp by unbolting the STOCK axle-back (as a test, no extra tuning).

Think about it like the people who drive stock accords for daily drivers - when the cutout is closed, you generally won't need every bit of power. Use the stocker and put the money elsewhere.