Notices

3" full exhaust, N1 canister type muffler or Magnaflow oval muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 3" full exhaust, N1 canister type muffler or Magnaflow oval muffler?

Hi guys,

I was just trying to decide which turbo muffler to go with for my car. I'm looking at either an 80mm Apexi N1 or a Magnaflow turbo muffler. The thing I am concerned about is noise level, exhaust tone, and flow restrictions.

From the looks of it the N1 is very free flowing, but it will also be very loud and eye-catching (for racers and cops alike).

Then there is the Magnaflow turbo muffler, I dont know how much louder it would be, what the tone will sound like or how the interior of the muffler might restrict flow. I want to get a single inlet/dual outlet muffler (3" inlet/2.5" outlets) to maintain a stock/stealth look. Do you guys know if the magnaflow's internal design will restrict the flow?

TIA

Old 12-27-2002, 02:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3" full exhaust, N1 canister type muffler or Magnaflow oval muffler? (BlueShadow)

16 views and no replies? cmon at least reply and says you dunno or something.

Old 12-27-2002, 02:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 3" full exhaust, N1 canister type muffler or Magnaflow oval muffler? (BlueShadow)

Bump....I'm actually deciding between those two exhaust systems myself. I'm pretty sure that the magnaflow will be quieter and more of a sleeper look, but the N1 really looks nice IMO.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3" full exhaust, N1 canister type muffler or Magnaflow oval muffler? (B18Flip)

but the N1 really looks nice IMO.
Yup I agree too, nothing says "dont F**k with me" better than a bigazz tip and a BOV =D hehehe I like the way the N1 looks but I dont like the fact that it will draw unwanted attention.

I might get the N1 exhaust and take my chances...if I get a ticket I can swap out to a Magnaflow. I could also put flanges on the both muffler and piping so that I can swap out exhausts on track days.

EDIT: here is the muffle I am looking at:

[Modified by BlueShadow, 3:34 AM 12/27/2002]
Old 12-27-2002, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had the N1 dont get get it or you'll kick your self in the ***. Its annoying as hell, then you'll end up getting a silencer and decrease the outlet size to 1.5"

I have the Magnaflow currently as for power I have no dyno sheets to compare it but it didn't feel like I lost any hp according to the butt dyno. The sound is like night and day between the two.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:34 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: 3" full exhaust, N1 canister type muffler or Magnaflow oval muffler? (LsTurbo91)

I have a mangnaflow straitthrough muffler w/ a 16" magnaflow resonator all on my 3" exhautst and it sounds great.....not loud at all.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:36 AM

If your turbo's on, don't worry about sound w/ a straight thru Magnaflow, even an 18" body will give you a mellow tone.....are you going 3" turbo-back? any cat. or resonator?.............the straight thru's are actualy quieter than the XL turbo's, as long as your exhaust size is properly mated to engine output...
3"in/2.25"dual out should be perfect
http://www.hottexhaust.com/search_re...hParamType=ALL
Old 12-27-2002, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get an oval magnaflow. The n1 canister is way too big, IMO, as well as that humongous tip it uses. i got rid of mine for a straight-through SS oval muffler.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3" full exhaust, N1 canister type muffler or Magnaflow oval muffler? (Daniel)

I may go ahead and opt for the SS single/dual then.

One thing about the resonators though, I thought that you could use them to make your exhaust tone quieter or deeper, but I am hearing from some people that they wont help in making it quieter. Is it true that resonators wont make it quieter? I dont want to sound like a truck or anything, I want my car to have a deep mellow tone.

[Modified by BlueShadow, 1:05 PM 12/27/2002]
Old 12-27-2002, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly i'd have to say, that single/dual muffler is ugly as fo0k... anyhow.. i would go with the apexi n1, it doesn't sound too bad, only if you use the muffler on an N/A motor, but turbo'd it will sound awesome, i dont know what you guys are smokin.. i had to make a similar decision, it was between an apexi n1, and jic magic titanium muffler, i went with the jic.. but it was damn costly...but yeah.. i say n1..
Old 12-27-2002, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3" full exhaust, N1 canister type muffler or Magnaflow oval muffler? (G_Force_Si)

honestly i'd have to say, that single/dual muffler is ugly as fo0k... anyhow.. i would go with the apexi n1, it doesn't sound too bad, only if you use the muffler on an N/A motor, but turbo'd it will sound awesome, i dont know what you guys are smokin.. i had to make a similar decision, it was between an apexi n1, and jic magic titanium muffler, i went with the jic.. but it was damn costly...but yeah.. i say n1..
well sound is not the only thing I'm worried about, I'm also looking at several other factors:

-stealthiness
-noise level (loudness)
-flow
-attention factor (dont want to attract to police)
-cost
Old 12-27-2002, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm also looking at several other factors:

-stealthiness
-noise level (loudness)
-flow
-attention factor (dont want to attract to police)
-cost
LOL, well stealthy the N1 is not. get a straight-through aluminum oval MagnaFlow with a 3" inlet/outlet, and either don't weld on a tip or weld on a piece of 3" piping for the tip.

straight-through = good flow; aluminum = stealthy; 3" tip or no tip at all (just the outlet) = pretty stealthy

oh, and aluminum magnaflows are cheap. but depending on where you live, you might have to opt for a SS one for durability against the elements.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3" full exhaust, N1 canister type muffler or Magnaflow oval muffler? (Daniel)

LOL, well stealthy the N1 is not. get a straight-through aluminum oval MagnaFlow with a 3" inlet/outlet, and either don't weld on a tip or weld on a piece of 3" piping for the tip.

straight-through = good flow; aluminum = stealthy; 3" tip or no tip at all (just the outlet) = pretty stealthy

oh, and aluminum magnaflows are cheap. but depending on where you live, you might have to opt for a SS one for durability against the elements.
Well, I want to get a single/dual to maintain the stock look (stock is also single dual). What is an average price for a SS 3"single/2.5" dual?

Also what do you guys think about the resonator thing I mentioned?
Old 12-30-2002, 03:52 PM

Try the New BOMZ EVO N1 Muffler, very very NICE SOUND AND STYLE !!
IT comes with adjustable airflow silencer which is the lastest Tec from Japan!!

http://www.directcarparts.net/product.asp?3=69

Old 12-30-2002, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3" full exhaust, N1 canister type muffler or Magnaflow oval muffler? (szechingyu218)

Try the New BOMZ EVO N1 Muffler, very very NICE SOUND AND STYLE !!
IT comes with adjustable airflow silencer which is the lastest Tec from Japan!!

http://www.directcarparts.net/product.asp?3=69
a 2.5 inch inlet is not very ideal for turbo apps, even with the...slots open it will still cause quite a restriction in the exhaust system.

<--BlueShadow who is trying to come up with *ANY* reason not to get a BOMZ EVO N1 Muffler

[Modified by BlueShadow, 6:25 PM 12/30/2002]
Old 12-31-2002, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

FWIW I'm a fan of Magnaflow. They perform well, are priced nicely and are generally deep and relatively quiet. I'll be running a 3" Magnaflow muffler, and a 3" resonator w/ a 3" Carsound cat when $$ allows.
M
Old 12-31-2002, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd look into the stright thru magnaflow 4x9 muffler (11229) it's 3" in/out or the 12198 in a 3" in x dual 2.5" but this muffler may be harder to install due to the center inlet of the muffler, it will require more bends after the axle. Where as with the 11229 you can stay straight over the axle and into the muffler. Paint it black and use some 3" tubing for your tip (same size as a stock ITR) and you'll have a stock look. Assuming we are talking Civic/Integra here, the longest muffler you can run after the axle is around a 14" body.

You can try the 12619 (3" x 14" x 6" round) or the 12649 is the 18" long version in the tunnel for a resonator but I'm not sure how t ground clearance will be. You'll most likely have to remove all the heat shields to tuck it up as far as possible.

BTW, I sell all these pieces.