Notices

3" Exhaust / Turbo install Woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" Exhaust / Turbo install Woes

Ok, currently I have a Thermal 2.5" w/ testpipe, and I'm installing the PeakBoost Turbo Kit this coming month. I want to run 3" from the downpipe, but am curious to the most efficient way to go about it.

I'm concerned with the downpipe needing to be flanged/extended to a bolt up exhaust like the Thermal/Vibrant. I have considered the Kteller weldup kit, with a vibrant black muffler.

Not sure which way to go, or if after the turbo kit is installed, whether I'll be able to drive it with an open downpipe and not attract too much attention.

Any help?

Old 03-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You will attract all the attention there is to attract running an open down pipe. It sounds pretty sick but LOUD as hell.

Once the kit is installed just take it to any muffler shop and they will make your down pipe work with your existing exhaust. Not that bid of a deal, you will be loosing a little bit of power but expletive it you'll still be fast trust me.

Or u could just sell your thermal and pick up a three inch exhaust.

If you have the cash just get a three inch if your on a budjet keep your existing exhaust and pick up a three inch when you have funds to spend on it.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:04 PM

Default Re: (dizzyek)

Money really isn't the issue, just wondering whats the best way to go from Point A to Point B. If I had welding capabilities in my shop, this wouldn't be a concern, lol!

It isn't a "True" bolt on kit if you need to drive to a muffler shop to weld up a flange and connect to your exhaust. Pretty close to it, but what do people do in my situation?
Old 03-12-2007, 09:12 PM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Astig)

Tomorrow is supposed to be 70 degrees here. Just your luck, I am running open downpipe for a couple days right now. I will post two video clips tomorrow night or something for you here. Both runs will be in the exact same spot so you will be able to hopefully here the difference (it's in a tunnel)

For the videos:
1.) 3rd gear pull with: 3" downpipe, test pipe, with a Thermal 3"
2.) 3rd gear pull with: 3" open downpipe

Basically when I drive with the open downpipe, I hardly ever floor it because it is loud as hell and will likely attract a lot of unwanted attention. But it sounds like a cammed-V8 when idling which is fairly cool....and people ask if it's been swapped or something hahahaha. But if you want to be able to punch it whenever, just do a 3" turbo back system.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:19 PM

Default Re: (Dunc)

Sweet!

There is no doubt that I want to hook up the 3" exhaust, just not convinced which route.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Astig)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Astig &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It isn't a "True" bolt on kit if you need to drive to a muffler shop to weld up a flange and connect to your exhaust. Pretty close to it, but what do people do in my situation?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well i just bought the ebay three inch echaust for 190 shipped.

I hope your not complaining about it not being a true bolt on kit just because it doesnt fit whatever exhaust you have. This is a minor detail, like I said just take it to a muffler shop it shouldn't cost more than $50. You can drive it there with the open down pipe just don't get on the gas to hard.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:35 PM

Def not complaining, its just another line for the to-do list!

Ooooh lightbulb!

Mock up the DP, take measurements to be able to bolt up to the exhaust, drive to muffler shop, add piping and flange it!
Old 03-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ i agree with this guy. you are putting a turbo and a 3" exhaust on an economy car. not everything will "bolt up". yeah its kinda a PITA to drive to a muffler shop for a couple minor changes but no biggie. its well worth it once everything is done.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:07 PM
BCICAN

Default Re: (dpetro1)

As promised:
Here is the video comparing a full 3" exhaust to open downpipe. It's as close to a replica as I could make without caring too much.

http://video.google.com/videop...16311

Modified by Dunc at 6:46 PM 3/14/2007
Old 03-13-2007, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On craigslist.org I just picked up at 3" thermal r&d exhaust for $75.... bump
Old 03-14-2007, 02:47 PM
BCICAN

Default Re: (bboysake)

Ok, now it's up.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 3" Exhaust / Turbo install Woes (Astig)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Astig &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, currently I have a Thermal 2.5" w/ testpipe, and I'm installing the PeakBoost Turbo Kit this coming month. I want to run 3" from the downpipe, but am curious to the most efficient way to go about it.

I'm concerned with the downpipe needing to be flanged/extended to a bolt up exhaust like the Thermal/Vibrant. I have considered the Kteller weldup kit, with a vibrant black muffler.

Not sure which way to go, or if after the turbo kit is installed, whether I'll be able to drive it with an open downpipe and not attract too much attention.

Any help?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

As people said, open downpipe will be loud. Normally downpipes won't bolt right up. There are way to many variables to consider, I can speak for us, we have jigs that place the downpipe in the exact placement of the oem header. That does not always mean it will bolt right up to the catback though. Like I said there are a lot of variables to consider.

The best way would be, installing the downpipe, then drive to a local shop but honestly I have seen so many muffler shops to hack jobs on stuff like this. Spend a little more and take it to a reputable shop that knows what there doing.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Re: 3" Exhaust / Turbo install Woes (RCautoworks)

I'm thinking I may mock up the DP, take some measurements and have some pipe added and flanged to bolt up to the exhaust.