Notices

2 Step colder Spark Plugs when are they needed?? What are the disadvantages

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Step colder Spark Plugs when are they needed?? What are the disadvantages

I am trying to figure out if theres a reason why most people only go with 1 step colder spark plugs. I use only 1 step colder myself and run upto 12psi on a stock sohc no problems.

Why would you go 2 steps colder when only running lowish boost? And if you did are there any particular benefits or downsides? Does it really make a difference
Old 10-20-2003, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya, missfireing at idal-5k.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:10 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (grndcont)

i have bkr-7e's and i dont misfire at all at 5.5 psi
Old 10-20-2003, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TURSpoonEK)

The guys I am talking to say they have no misfiring with 2 step colder plugs... Anyone know?
Old 10-20-2003, 11:19 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (turbozxi)

COLD Champoin plugs after 10k miles of daily driving.............

I'm using the Champions per ZEX man's suggestion. The thicker ground strap doesn't melt away as easy with nitrous.

You can see the heat pattern on a lean 85 shot.............

I still get 40 mpg on the highway even with 325 cc/min injectors.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mista Bone)

Maybe the lean burn with nitrous helps clean off the carbon haha. Nah there pretty clean looking espeacially for 9's Maybe next time I'll chuck in 2 step colder plugs when running highish boost if there not affecting the idle where are they hurting ya?
Old 10-21-2003, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2 Step colder Spark Plugs when are they needed?? What are the disadvantages (turbozxi)

Using a "colder" plug helps combat hot spots in the combustion chamber (primarily the portion of the spark plug in the cc) by effectively removing heat from the (primary source of preignition). One or two steps cooler is usually recommended for f/i applications - go too much cooler and they'll have a tendency to fowl.

*edited*

Modified by hpfsi at 4:27 AM 10/22/2003
Old 10-21-2003, 02:18 AM
D Tranny Guru

Default Re: (turbozxi)

no misfires, ever!!!!!!

This takes care of that issue...........

Old 10-21-2003, 04:52 AM

Default Re: 2 Step colder Spark Plugs when are they needed?? What are the disadvantages (turbozxi)

If you are making more than 75+hp over your stock power then you should consider going 2 step colder. Otherwise 1 step should be fine.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:53 AM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mista Bone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">COLD Champoin plugs after 10k miles of daily driving.............

I'm using the Champions per ZEX man's suggestion. The thicker ground strap doesn't melt away as easy with nitrous.

You can see the heat pattern on a lean 85 shot.............

I still get 40 mpg on the highway even with 325 cc/min injectors.</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn u got guts runnin an american plug in a honda , i tried autolites once , never do that again!!!!!!!
Old 10-21-2003, 12:21 PM
D Tranny Guru

Default Re: (TURSpoonEK)

Well, after you hang around some nitrous geeks (Gary Rohe and crew) you find out that Champion and AC Delco don't melt the ground strap as easy.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2 Step colder Spark Plugs when are they needed?? What are the disadvantages (swlabhot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by swlabhot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you are making more than 75+hp over your stock power then you should consider going 2 step colder. Otherwise 1 step should be fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Best answer. According to NGK, it is actuallly 75-125 horsepower over. If you are making 75 over an detonating, go 1 more step colder.

I am making about 115 over and I only run 1 step colder.

Here is my post if you ahven't seen it.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=510127
Old 10-21-2003, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Colder plugs is just insurance.
I still run stock temp copper plugs. My A/F is at least 12.5:1 accross the board, so my combustion temps are not astronomical. I dont have any problems with pre-igniton
with my setup, so ive kept the stock heat range.

The plug heat range does <u>nothing</u> to affect combustion temps, its merely
a measurement of how much heat the center electrode and porcelain retain.
Basically the plug has to remain hot enough to burn off deposits so it doesnt foul.
The problem with turbo cars is that they have higher combustion temps, so in
extreme cases the plug can retain enough heat to cause pre-ignition, and/or
the center electrode can melt/deteriorate.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2 Step colder Spark Plugs when are they needed?? What are the disadvantages (rioninja)

Yeah im running Brk7e's on my sol w/o any problems. I had a misfire problem at the higher RPM's but after I put my DP on, it seemed to go away.

OHH yeah i forgot that they're at stock gap

Im gonna bring them down to 30 this weekend and see if that changes anything.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:18 PM

its good for the old pray and spray so the nitrous doesnt get to hot needs to stay cold so it doesnt burn but before it mixes with the fuel.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2 Step colder Spark Plugs when are they needed?? What are the disadvantages (rioninja)

This is what I would of thought.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rioninja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Colder plugs is just insurance.
I still run stock temp copper plugs. My A/F is at least 12.5:1 accross the board, so my combustion temps are not astronomical. I dont have any problems with pre-igniton
with my setup, so ive kept the stock heat range.

The plug heat range does <u>nothing</u> to affect combustion temps, its merely
a measurement of how much heat the center electrode and porcelain retain.
Basically the plug has to remain hot enough to burn off deposits so it doesnt foul.
The problem with turbo cars is that they have higher combustion temps, so in
extreme cases the plug can retain enough heat to cause pre-ignition, and/or
the center electrode can melt/deteriorate.</TD></TR></TABLE> So if you did go 2 steps colder and weren't misfiring you wouldn't lose any power or fuel economy?? BTW Mista Bone if those plugs are 9's doesn't that make them hotter then standard ? I am told champion rate there plugs heat range the oppsite way to NGK's...
Old 10-21-2003, 07:22 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is what I would of thought.
So if you did go 2 steps colder and weren't misfiring you wouldn't lose any power or fuel economy?? ... </TD></TR></TABLE>

That is correct. The heat rating of a plug is its ability to retain heat. Not how "Hot" the spark is. So as long as the plug is igniting your A/F mixture properly and not fouling, you should notice zero difference in your fuel economy. I just finished changing out a whole bunch of stuff on my Integra (Fuel injectors, springs & retainers, fpr, etc...) but before I did that, I was getting about 37MPG on 9PSI boost running 2 steps colder NGK.

HTH
Old 10-21-2003, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mista Bone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">COLD Champoin plugs after 10k miles of daily driving.............

</TD></TR></TABLE>

and i thought i was the only one who used champion plugs,, i actually just recently switched over to champion from NGK, per a reccomendation of a local shop owner. i was honestly hesitant at first because of the horror stories i've heard but i decided to pick up a set anyway. overall there wasnt a HUGE difference except that the idle seems to be somewhat lower and smoother and it got rid of some of the hesitation i was experincing on my top end. i'm not sure wether to acredit these benefits to the plugs or a different gap, but either way i'm happy with my $4 champions.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (glowing_turbo)

Ive had good luck with the champion coppers.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:25 PM
D Tranny Guru

Default Re: (glowing_turbo)

The thing with nitrous, the plugs see temps WAY above the normal boost cars do. Nitrous is HARD on the electrodes/ground straps with the high temps.

All I know, ZEX man aka Matt Patrick suugested the Champions to me as I was going beyond the norm with my ZEX setup. I'm totally happy and have NO FEAR! of using the .043 jet next time out.

Look at GITWIDIT NGK plugs in his post in FI forum.