Notices

1991 CRX SI B16A turbo before and after build/pics/discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 CRX SI B16A turbo before and after build/pics/discussion

Hey everyone!!! This will be my first big post but I just wanted to throw my build up here for everyone to see/enjoy!

Back in August of 2012 I purchased a 1991 CRX Si with a turbo'd b16a2 swap,body is in great shape for a 91, with maybe two dime sized rust spots on the entire car, also with these supposed modifications

Engine
-Wiesco 9:1 forged pistons
- Eagle Rods
-Mild port and polished head, Skunk2 valves and retainers
-Skunk2 Cam gears
-CTR Cams
-Precision 680cc Injectors
-Walbro 225lph fuel pump
-p27 ECU on Neptune
-Also supposedly build and sleeved by ERL

Turbo Kit
-Unknown log manifold
-Turbonetics t3/t04e
-Tial Wastegate at 12psi
-Tial duo 52 BOV
-Unknown sized front mount intercooler

Before the rebuild
Name:  2UB3bTs.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  527.4 KB

When I first bought the car it was last tuned at DK Goodrich in Louisville Ky and the seller didn't have any dyno sheets but he said it made over 300whp , but this was my first turbo car purchase and I didn't really know much at the time about turbo hondas, so I just went with it...after driving the car around for a few weeks it starts overheating and doesn't feel any where near 300whp, so I took it back to DK Goodrich for a retune. The car made 225whp, had boost leaks, dyno graph was extremely spikey and uneven, definitely could tell the car was sick.

Reconnected the oil pressure gauge, oil pressure was spiking up to over 90psi at idle and dropping extremely low under boost, DK mentioned during the tune the seals in the turbo were probably bad and I needed a new turbo, or rebuild this one.

About a month later the car starts developing a light knock, so I decided it was time to start pulling things apart and find out what was actually going on inside my block.

The car was an absolute wreck....here's what we found.

Turbo insides
Name:  5sAIJos.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  191.6 KB

Turbo insides again
Name:  HfZSWC9.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  70.5 KB

Old downpipe and exhaust
Name:  73biKuw.jpg
Size:  53.2 KB

Old Intercooler piping and radiator fan
Name:  Jrzo2PA.jpg
Size:  60.8 KB

Oil covered transmission
Name:  aHRmy57.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  50.0 KB

Semi cleaned up block
Name:  yL1f3ct.jpg
Size:  67.6 KB

The wiring was also a giant mess of electrical tape...After seeing all this mess I decided it was probably a good idea to have the block completely rebuilt and get an entirely new turbo set up.

Turbo Parts from Blue Ridge Motor Sports, gorgeous manifold 3in downpipe, dumptube
Name:  D24fG9m.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  265.0 KB

t3/t04e vs Precision 5831
Name:  bfkcH2e.jpg
Size:  179.0 KB

t3/t04e vs Precision 5831 Round 2
Name:  efp5Cyn.jpg
Size:  164.6 KB

Sent the block off to a friend of ours in Kentucky that did an AMAZING job, very meticulous and a perfectionist when it comes to engine building.

This is what he found when he started opening up the insides...

No erl sleeved block and a blown headgasket
Name:  rI7XLOI.jpg
Size:  90.3 KB

Incorrectly installed pistons rings
Name:  tt8EI0m.jpg
Size:  83.0 KB

Incorrectly installed pistons, they were slapping up against the walls of the block on one side and caused the rough look.
Name:  27D7xpT.jpg
Size:  64.8 KB

But hey, at least the eagle rods were still usable!
TPR in Cincinnati, Ohio was a hop and a skip away, so he had them do all of the machine work and order all of the new internals!
We ended up having to get a new block, crank, pistons, oil pump, arp head studs, headgasket, we also replaced the CTR cams with GSR cams, moroso oil pan, and new ACL race bearings, and a new TPR breather setup since the old one that was installed was doing absolutely nothing.

Goodies
Name:  xMdXgzS.jpg
Size:  94.1 KB

Bearings installed
Name:  fPvFKMZ.jpg
Size:  86.0 KB

Pistons
Name:  1igMCxA.jpg
Size:  71.8 KB

Pistons installed
Name:  sEBUePR.jpg
Size:  66.3 KB

With the engine finally done I saved myself some heartbreak and had a professional install and tune everything, Eric Jarvis an amazing tuner in Kentucky installed the motor and new turbo set up back into the car, and tuned it using Chrome.

Happy engine bay
Name:  9Fxl3Lw.jpg
Size:  102.5 KB

Name:  AlWsnnQ.jpg
Size:  73.5 KB

Dyno Graph 322hp 210tq @16psi
Name:  TwvZR1L.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  74.4 KB

Back home and running perfect with some new Rota Grids
Name:  HEDUCCc.jpg
Size:  548.0 KB

The only thing left to do now is replace the blow off valve since its junk and almost pops out of the piping under boost, creating a huge boost leak, and install some exhaust, then go back for a touch up tune since Eric just became a certified neptune tuner!
Old 07-12-2013, 02:56 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: 1991 CRX SI B16A turbo before and after build/pics/discussion

I hate when people lie and try to pull a fast one on people, scammers suck or maybe he legitimately didn't know because he maybe didn't build the motor.. either way shady business practices make me hate most people that will lie to make an extra buck. Of course buying a used car with a supposedly sleeved block is always hard to tell unless you have pics. Or pull the head off. Another trick for future reference is to pull the front block plug, the outward apperance of stock vs ductile iron sleeves is obvious.

Glad you got the issues resolved, I would still give the seller a swift kick to the nuts though lol

Why not weld a flange on (I'm assuming your new bov will be flanged?) As ones secured with hose and clamps always pop out under boost..

Here's a quick trick as a stop gap to keep it from popping off, take hairspray and spray the inside of the coupler and let it soak for a few minutes then reinstall insuring clamps are as tight as physically possible. The hairspray makes the rubber tacky (the acetone and volatile compounds that make hairspray dry will breakdown the rubber causing it to become tacky like superglue, once the compounds evaporate the coupler literally clings to whatever it's clamped to. It's an old school trick that we figured out from popping off charge piping couplers

What kind of valve are you looking for? I might have what you want/need (shameless plug lol)
Old 07-12-2013, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep, I'd love to give the seller a swift kick in the nuts or 15....its just how the BoV is desiged, its a turbonetics duo 35 and it has two little screws that hold it in the greddy flange adapter all the piping and flange have been welded on, minimal amount of couplers used . I'm looking to get a Tial Q 50mm now, my tuner said thats been his favorite to use so far on his car.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet thread and car. Very interesting seller i must say. Im glad you got everything handled and the car is back 100%. Any ripper vids?
Old 07-12-2013, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Night mare car eh. Honda owners appreciate it once in good hands good work. I'd like to see about 395hp at least tho :p its your car n all what are the exterior plans? It's going to look totally great with a painted front bumper and some si skirts! Good work
Old 07-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got the front lip going back on right now. he said his dyno he uses reads about 15% lower then all the other dynos he used so if I go by that it's at about 370whp lol. It'll be right at if not more then 395 once I get a new bov and get rid of the boost leak. Thanks for all the compliments!!!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dumb question but does your radiator make any issues with the hood latching/closing properly? How is it mounted? thanks
Old 07-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nope, everything fits in there, barely but it all fit. The ram horn was probably a little overkill but it was super nice and an awesome deal.