Notices

.170" air gap from Oil feed hardline to manifold runner :O

Old 06-26-2015, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default .170" air gap from Oil feed hardline to manifold runner :O

Title pretty much says it all, Im slightly scared to run this.

Today I removed my old turbo setup and prepared myself to install a new 50 trim turbo and make whatever changes were necessary. Long story short my plan went in the blender as the exhaust wheel is placed less than 2" away from the side of my half radiator making a downpipe impossible without buying a tucked radiator. So the turbo got flipped so the compressor is on the pass side, just fits snug without having to grind away the block at all, Im not the fondest of how the hot side charge pipe and downpipe have to be made but I can swing that no issues with fitment

Only issue is how tucked and hidden the oil feed port on the turbo is now. I have a flange bolted to the turbo that is my restrictor, and then my feed line bolts to its inverted male flare with a tight 90* bend hardline for an inch and then to braided line. Well the braided line runs under the manifold but where it makes its 90* into the turbo there is literally a .170" air gap between the hardline and bottom of the manifold, had to measure with cardstock as you cant even get your hand in there. Its only close to the manifold for about an inch then the gap increase to over an inch quickly, but that small area worries me.

Ive never had an issue with my feed line, do they make a solution for people running log/cast manifolds with the center section hidden under the manifold?

Would that air gap be enough to run as is? Should I stuff some fiberglass chop mat in there for safety? I had to attach the feed line to the turbo before I even bolted the turbo to the manifold its so tight in there.

Open to opinions!
Old 06-26-2015, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: .170" air gap from Oil feed hardline to manifold runner :O

this is what my flange/feed looks like, gets closest to the manifold right at the "crimp"

Old 06-27-2015, 05:53 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Pictures are a thousand words ******
Old 06-27-2015, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 94 Likes on 84 Posts

sleeve it maybe. hard to tell without a pic
Old 06-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With a sleeve, the sleeve would be touching the manifold, I couldnt find one that could take 1500 continuous

I'll try and take a pic, but its buried in there dont know if it will turn out

The Aluminum coverred fiberglass tape I have appears to be rated for 1000, so thats no good.

Can raw fiberglass help me at all for the week while a sleeve is on order? I have bth chop mat and woven strand mat, I'll have to check there heat ratings and posibly wedge some in there.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:41 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinEF7
With a sleeve, the sleeve would be touching the manifold, I couldnt find one that could take 1500 continuous
O'RLY?

DEI Titanium Protect-A-Sleeve with LR Technology | Exhaust Header Wrap and Thermal Performance Products | Design Engineering, Inc.

I personally would put something on it. Ever looked inside one? Tons of manufacturers use teflon lined feed lines. I would be concerned about melting it.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, ill try a few local places on the phone monday morning and if they dont have it Ill get it shipped if I can figure out how to buy a foot

Pic was hard as ballz to take, you get the idea

Old 06-28-2015, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For the time being I gave it 1 layer of fiberglass tape with an aluminum type cover, and then ontop of that a layer of exhaust header wrap, used brass wire every inch to secure it. Should be good atleast til a sleeve arrives?

You can see the end of the protection slightly on the right side of the turbo going under the manifold