Notices

12.5+++:1 A/F readings on decelleration?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12.5+++:1 A/F readings on decelleration?!?

Here's another funky problem I'm seeing with my Hondata, stock 270cc injectors, and the FJO. Throttle body has been ported, and I fear that it might not be closing all the way, but before I drop cash on a new one, I'd like some insight from H-T.

While tuning yesterday, I was coasting to a stop with the car in neutral, and my foot off the gas only to find that my A/F readings were still in the same realm as when I'm accelerating. I was seeing fluctuation from 12.5 all the way to 16:1 A/F. It's baffling since I thought the injectors pretty much shut down at idle, or when not under load (it used to do that with my old setup). If that's true, then I have a problem with my setup. Another issue is that while I'm seeing these A/F numbers, my car will hover at around 1500rpm for a second or two, then taper down to 850rpm. I was thinking maybe a combination of the TB not closing fully, and the ecm adding fuel for that part of the map.

Does anyone have any insight as to why this might be happening?

I'm running a stage 4b Hondata, with a b19c jrsc.
My TPS is at .45-.5v @ idle (it fluctuates slightly), and all other sensors look to be okay and within spec.

I can also answer any questions since I saved the datalog from last night.

Old 09-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

before I forget, I *was* running DSM 440cc injectors, and a resistor box. I removed those thinking that they might be causing the problem. Obviously, they weren't.

I'm also using a P28 ecu, which has been known to cause some issues with Hondata. When I asked them what it could ben they tried to get me to buy some RC injectors, and a new ecu.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hypa)

no one has any ideas?
Old 09-08-2004, 06:07 PM

Default Re: 12.5+++:1 A/F readings on decelleration?!? (hypa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hypa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">While tuning yesterday, I was coasting to a stop with the car in neutral, and my foot off the gas only to find that my A/F readings were still in the same realm as when I'm accelerating. I was seeing fluctuation from 12.5 all the way to 16:1 A/F. It's baffling since I thought the injectors pretty much shut down at idle, or when not under load (it used to do that with my old setup). If that's true, then I have a problem with my setup. Another issue is that while I'm seeing these A/F numbers, my car will hover at around 1500rpm for a second or two, then taper down to 850rpm. I was thinking maybe a combination of the TB not closing fully, and the ecm adding fuel for that part of the map.

Does anyone have any insight as to why this might be happening? </TD></TR></TABLE>

the car at idle should have a afr of arroungd 15 to 1 rolling or stoped at decel in gear with the foot off the throttle your afrs will be in the 19+ afr due to the injectors being basicly turned off. as far as the idle there is a rolling idle setup where the car will idle higher when rolling then when the car gets under a certain speed it driops to the regular idle might want to check that
Old 09-09-2004, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 12.5+++:1 A/F readings on decelleration?!? (b18cls1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18cls1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the car at idle should have a afr of arroungd 15 to 1 rolling or stoped at decel in gear with the foot off the throttle your afrs will be in the 19+ afr due to the injectors being basicly turned off. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that's exactly what I though was supposed to happen, but for some reason it's not. I'm wondering if maybe the TB is leaking, since it was cnc bored, but by a rookie company

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18cls1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> as far as the idle there is a rolling idle setup where the car will idle higher when rolling then when the car gets under a certain speed it driops to the regular idle might want to check that</TD></TR></TABLE>

I double checked my Hondata, and I can't find that option anywhere.
Any idea as to where I might find it?
Old 09-09-2004, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18cls1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
as far as the idle there is a rolling idle setup where the car will idle higher when rolling then when the car gets under a certain speed it driops to the regular idle might want to check that</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are there any sensors that control this? I'm having a problem w/ my rolling idle, and wondering what physically could cause it to change...
Old 09-09-2004, 05:17 PM

Default Re: 12.5+++:1 A/F readings on decelleration?!? (LudeyKrus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LudeyKrus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are there any sensors that control this? I'm having a problem w/ my rolling idle, and wondering what physically could cause it to change...</TD></TR></TABLE>

no its just built into the program and iac controls the rolling and stopped idle
Old 09-09-2004, 05:20 PM

Default Re: 12.5+++:1 A/F readings on decelleration?!? (hypa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hypa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that's exactly what I though was supposed to happen, but for some reason it's not. I'm wondering if maybe the TB is leaking, since it was cnc bored, but by a rookie company

</TD></TR></TABLE>

in your first post you said it was in netral so the afr should be at 15:1 ish what are they??

other than that its probably in the low speed fuel map somewhere

also to check if the tb is leaking by the butterfly plate take the intake pipe off an look tward the back of the tb on the onside there is a port about 1/2 in diameter with the car running stick your finger over that hole and plug it if the car dies than the tb is fine
Old 09-10-2004, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18cls1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

in your first post you said it was in netral so the afr should be at 15:1 ish what are they??</TD></TR></TABLE>

right now they fluctuate around 13.5-14:1. I'm working to get them closer to 15:1.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also to check if the tb is leaking by the butterfly plate take the intake pipe off an look tward the back of the tb on the onside there is a port about 1/2 in diameter with the car running stick your finger over that hole and plug it if the car dies than the tb is fine </TD></TR></TABLE>

cool to know.
I'll try that tonight.

cheers!