Notices

10lbs on a stock B16a2 too much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10lbs on a stock B16a2 too much?

So just a while back i was running 10lbs on my stock B16 si motor. After about 2 weeks it started smoking (oil) even at idle, it just continues to dump oil burning smoke out of the downpipe. I thought it was the 11 year old 300zx turbo (oil seal) but apparently it was fine because i just bought a turbonetics off of my buddy and its BRAND NEW and its doing the same thing. Oil is visible creeping out of the downpipe/turbo and into the DP a bit. Maybe 10lbs is a bit too much....

So possibilites....
- Headwork here i come
- Is it possible that my oil feed is a little too thick and pushing in too much oil?
- Anybody have any other ideas?

P.S. When i get on it, it like spits oil out hard. When it hits the floor its a spot and splatter all around it

Modified by Boosted EM1 at 6:47 PM 1/16/2006
Old 01-15-2006, 04:33 PM

Default Re: 10lbs on a stock B16a2 too much? (Boosted EM1)

turbo still could be getting to much oil whether its new or not...
Old 01-15-2006, 04:37 PM

Default Re: 10lbs on a stock B16a2 too much? (zeroice)

that's what im asking...is it possible that the oil feed line being too thick could be the problem. sounds legit, but the fact that it took two or three weeks to start smoking even half as bad as it is now, leads me to believe i might need a little headwork.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull the manifold off
and see if theres any oil in any of the runners

if there is most likely you blew the ringlands

what power did you make at the dyno
also whats your complete setup
Old 01-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well unless you've had a really good tune i would only be running up to 7psi.

and how was the car before turbo? smoking at all...how many km's has it done also? due to normal wear and tear if your car was smoking before the turbo then you've just sped the process up...
Old 01-15-2006, 04:43 PM

Default Re: 10lbs on a stock B16a2 too much? (komat)

when i pulled it off the first time to throw my header back on before i bought this turbo, i noticed there was some oil right at the edge so...yeah. maybe ill just put my header back on and start saving for some pistons/rods/etc. and put it on running more boost

edit: the car was not smoking before, it's not even at 80k yet so it's still great. when i take the turbo off though (either turbo) and put the header back on, it doesnt smoke at all unless i downshift really hard a little will exit the exhaust.

never dynoed yet...
setup:
turbonetics 60-1 turbo
revhard log manifold
johnny racecar FMIC
delta wastegate (10lb spring)
turboxs blow-off valve

crower valve springs
crower titanium retainers
Old 01-15-2006, 05:10 PM

do a compression test. If its 210 across the board its fine check somewhere else. I run 10 psi stock block b16a2 over timming and 15-16 degrees. When i'm done racing I do a comp check just for the hell of it. Also, look at the spark plugs for detnation.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 10lbs on a stock B16a2 too much? (22psicrx)

damn only 15-16 degrees? wow thats realllly conservativeeeee
Old 01-15-2006, 05:30 PM

i'll see if i can get a compression test done tomorrow at work. (car dealership) and i'll check my plugs in the morning or before bed. im going to try and get a ride to work in the morning...its embarassing when your car looks like its online at stoplights
Old 01-15-2006, 05:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boosted EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when i pulled it off the first time to throw my header back on before i bought this turbo, i noticed there was some oil right at the edge so...yeah. maybe ill just put my header back on and start saving for some pistons/rods/etc. and put it on running more boost

edit: the car was not smoking before, it's not even at 80k yet so it's still great. when i take the turbo off though (either turbo) and put the header back on, it doesnt smoke at all unless i downshift really hard a little will exit the exhaust.

never dynoed yet...
setup:
turbonetics 60-1 turbo
revhard log manifold
johnny racecar FMIC
delta wastegate (10lb spring)
turboxs blow-off valve

crower valve springs
crower titanium retainers</TD></TR></TABLE>

Fuel management?
10psi doesn't mean jack..........
I ran almost 1 bar daily with no issues on my stock b16.....
If you have oil in the exhaust manifold runners then you have to look to the engine for the problem. How large is your oil feed?
Old 01-15-2006, 05:40 PM
cuin9sec

i ran 12psi on a stock GSR made 395whp and ran 11.80's all day long on 22" slicks. t3/t67 H.O. .82 a/r.

could be having problems with your oil return line. is it angled perfectly so it flows good? also where did you tap the oil pan? was it high enough???

too many questions huh...lol?!?!

youll get her figured out...dont worry.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:45 PM

Default Re: (gt42r_civic)

ok so to start.... fuel management = p28 ecu base mapped. its tuned really rich for safety so it hasnt been "TUNED" for the turbo yet since i was only driving it for two weeks before w/e went crazy.

oil return is flowing smooth as far as i know...and yes it's high enough for sure!
i dont know the size of the feed line, it's just the one i've always had that i got from a friend of mine. i'd have to compare it to something. i can take pictures if necessary for further help tips.

*EDIT* now that i think of it, there is a small (not kink) but bend in the oil return that isnt "smooth" so to speak, so maybe i can take a little tbolt clamp and lightly clamp down on it to round it back out, then try.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:33 PM

Default Re: (Boosted EM1)

i dont mean to steal this thread but i have a similar problem but im sure its not engine/turbo related. My oil return line is sitting Right on top of my DRAG shitty downpipe and you can smell it sometimes. At the dyno there was no smoke but sometimes after driving , you can see some oil on block below the manifold right by the downpipe and the downpipe is soaked too. I think i really just need to redo my oil return line but i dont know how much its going to cost or what to get. sorry , i dont even think i asked a question , but input is welcome
Old 01-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 22psicrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do a compression test. If its 210 across the board its fine check somewhere else. I run 10 psi stock block b16a2 over timming and 15-16 degrees. When i'm done racing I do a comp check just for the hell of it. Also, look at the spark plugs for detnation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

compression test doesnt tell much

i had perfect compression on two of the cylinders and still the ringlands were cracked
Old 01-15-2006, 06:38 PM
something different

it could be that crankcase pressure was backing up into the CHRA of the turbo, causeing it to puke oil into the exhaust. thats what i'm guessing, cause it happened to me twice.

also, you more than likely could be running too much oil into old turbos
Old 01-15-2006, 06:39 PM

Default Re: 10lbs on a stock B16a2 too much? (komat)

thanks for EVERYBODYS help up to now...im going to check my plugs, if i can get a compression test at work for free, then ill do that too. ill unkink my little bend in the oil return, and then we'll see where i stand all by tomorrow evening.

edit...not an old turbo btw
Old 01-15-2006, 07:10 PM

?

Modified by b16ahybrid at 11:26 AM 1/16/2006
Old 01-16-2006, 09:46 AM

Default Re: (b16ahybrid)

i was told that by one of the mechanics at my work..but you think it's killing that much oil/fuel because it's not tuned, and it took <U>two weeks to start </U>doing this?
Old 01-16-2006, 10:52 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boosted EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was told that by one of the mechanics at my work..but you think it's killing that much oil/fuel because it's not tuned, and it took <U>two weeks to start </U>doing this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

if its extremely rich, it could be "washing" oil off the cylinder walls, but it wouldnt explain the oil getting into your downpipe.

first thing i would do is double check your feed and return lines.

i would get an oil restrictor for the feed to prevent damage to the new turbo's seals and eliminate the chance that the feed might be the problem.

and i would definately double check the return line. i was getting some oil passed the seals on my turbo due to a faulty return line.

make sure that no where does the return line fall below the level of the fitting on the oil pan.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:16 PM
cuin9sec

just save yourself a hassle and make sure the oil return line is setup correctly. if its not youll be smoking like a ************...believe me.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:20 PM

Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redzcstandardhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it could be that crankcase pressure was backing up into the CHRA of the turbo, causeing it to puke oil into the exhaust. thats what i'm guessing, cause it happened to me twice. </TD></TR></TABLE>

this just happend to me also. Check your PCV system
Old 01-16-2006, 05:21 PM

Default Re: (DigitalFusion)

My breather valve hasn't been hooked up since day one of replacing my cold air intake when i first bought to car like two years ago. everything else looks alright to me. maybe im missing something. the fact that it just started happening is the thing that gets me. im uploading a 50 sec video right now...

so i think im going to put a header back on it and sell the car as is. this doesnt happen when there's no turbo so basically i'll sel it for $7,000 and come out with $0.00 and start over. cant deal with payments anymore, it leaves me no room for anything.

Modified by Boosted EM1 at 7:14 PM 1/16/2006
Old 01-17-2006, 11:56 AM

Took the IC piping off today to find about three quarts of fresh oil sitting inside of it...... fixed the oil return to have no kinks....still smoking horribly.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:23 PM
cuin9sec

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boosted EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Took the IC piping off today to find about three quarts of fresh oil sitting inside of it...... fixed the oil return to have no kinks....still smoking horribly. </TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like bad turbo seals. needs rebuilt.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gt42r_civic)

One thing that is bad about a b16 is that the piston ringlands sit higher up near the compression dome of the piston causing the piston ringlands to be more prone to cracking. A friend of mine just cracked his with an sc61 on 7psi.