Notices

~ 9" Tall FMIC on DC2 ??~

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ~ 9" Tall FMIC on DC2 ??~

Hey I was hoping you guys could give me an idea what its gonna take to get a 9 incher in the front of my '01 GSR. I realize I will have to cut the bumper support, but can you give me an idea of how much hacking I will need to do? Like is this going to F up the front of the teg, and be noticable if I ever go back to NA and remove it? Pics would be a big help. Thanks.

Specifically 21"X9"X3" as seen here https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=1
Old 06-02-2004, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ~ 9" Tall FMIC on DC2 ??~ (jfoster)

Here is a picture of my new intercooler. core size 37" x 11.5" hehe
It fits with modification to turn siginals. I will post pics this weekend of the install. I think i may have honda-techs biggest intercooler

Modified by legendboy at 2:47 PM 6/2/2004
Old 06-02-2004, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ~ 9" Tall FMIC on DC2 ??~ (legendboy)

WTF??? That thing is huge! Anyway, just remove the bumper all together, dont bother cutting it up. I had a 7" tall FMIC and I had to cut the bumper just so it wouldnt hang below the bumper cover. Another 2" and your probally going to have to cut through the top of it.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ~ 9" Tall FMIC on DC2 ??~ (m R g S r)

Thanks for the info. So I should remove the bumper support all together? And then every thing will just go back with out it? Is the crash factor the only down side to this? Or would my bumper sag?
Old 06-02-2004, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your rebar will not fit at all. you have to remove it completely or fab another one up.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:12 AM

How bad of an idea is it to remove the bumper support? Wouldnt you be screwed if you crashed?
Old 06-02-2004, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DC_andrew)

here is a 10" tall one on my teg

jfoster here is what it look like without bumper. Kind of ghetto

Modified by redturbocivic at 9:57 PM 6/2/2004
Old 06-02-2004, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redturbocivic)

I have some pics of a 10inch on my teg on my site .
But heres one with the bumper off.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ~ 9" Tall FMIC on DC2 ??~ (legendboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by legendboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your rebar will not fit at all. you have to remove it completely or fab another one up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeeee.....I don't like the sound of that. I could deal with some minor triming but that sounds like way too much hackin and riggin when I don't really need 9" anyway, I just wanted to get in on the $219 price tag...maybe I should spend more for less? Hmmm...I don't like the sound of that either...errrr.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (itr206)

Wow those last pics are great guys. So can you give me an idea of what it took to install those? Like just pull the bumper and the support, mount up the IC and mach up the piping and then just put the bumper back on over it, no problem? Or is there alot more stuff to deal with?
Old 06-02-2004, 08:28 AM

If you run that one, your going to have to take it out plain and simple.

As far as safety is concerned, I have heard that the bumper supports were for small impacts and would not have a big effect in a serious auto accident. I could be wrong, but I mean It would be hard to have serious proff, or a comparison between not having it and having it.

If you want to keep is get a shorter FMIC, if you dont mind, take it out and have some brackets made.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ~ 9" Tall FMIC on DC2 ??~ (quikB18B)

I don't have a problem taking it out, or with any safety issues. Infact I like the idea of taking it out rather than hacking it up, so if I ever want to put it back its good as new.

I am just concerned with a smooth install. I just don't want to be rigging it all up to work right and look right. So as long as removing the support doesn't affect being able to put the front end back on, and it being straight and stable and all, thats what I'll do.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quikB18B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If you want to keep is get a shorter FMIC, if you dont mind, take it out and have some brackets made.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What brackets would need to be made? Thats the kind of problem I don't want to run into, as I can't weld.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ~ 9" Tall FMIC on DC2 ??~ (quikB18B)

I do not have the middle part of my support bar. You see my bumper, I hacked the whole inside of it. The intercooler is 3.5 thick too so you see why i had to do it
Old 06-02-2004, 09:45 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

The support takes loads and keeps your core support from smashing into the front of your engine. It saved my header and god knows what else when I hydroplaned into a bridge...I wish I had a picture of how fucked the support was. I ended up having to replace the core support too, but it didn't go any further than that...the support to the blow. Now I am riding with no support beam to give my 8" intercooler room. Just drive careful.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DaX)

So is it as easy as it seems to install the fmic with out the support? Just pull the bumper, pull the support, mount the fmic, and put the bumper back on, thats it? Done?
Old 06-02-2004, 09:53 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Yep... just be sure to level and center the intercooler [unless you like the ghetto look], drill holes and mount. Run your charge pipe, test fit the bumper, trim if necessary.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DaX)

Ok, cool. Thats what I am worried about is the bumper mounting back up straight and flush with out the support in there.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quikB18B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If you want to keep is get a shorter FMIC, if you dont mind, take it out and have some brackets made.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What brackets would I need? If its brackets to mount the bumper back up, I'll pass. But if your just talking about tabs for mounting the IC I can handle that.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pffft, look at all the sissy 9" and 10" tall ICs. It isn't a real IC unless it's 11" and touching your headlights. That's the size Todd's is. ;p

Old 06-02-2004, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ~ 9" Tall FMIC on DC2 ??~ (J. Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pffft, look at all the sissy 9" and 10" tall ICs. It isn't a real IC unless it's 11" and touching your headlights. That's the size Todd's is. ;p

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Seems like the bumper would cover alot of that up...wouldn't that effect its performance?
Old 06-02-2004, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get out the hole saw then .
Old 06-02-2004, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ~ 9" Tall FMIC on DC2 ??~ (itr206)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get out the hole saw then .</TD></TR></TABLE>

That makes my stomach turn.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:37 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pffft, look at all the sissy 9" and 10" tall ICs. It isn't a real IC unless it's 11" and touching your headlights. That's the size Todd's is. ;p

</TD></TR></TABLE>

the one posted? whats that 1/2 " thick?
Old 06-02-2004, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jfoster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Seems like the bumper would cover alot of that up...wouldn't that effect its performance?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The thermodynamics of the situation is this: the bigger the disparity of your IC core temp to the incoming charge temp, the quicker the cooling takes place. Most of your intercooler's cooling takes place in the first couple inches, and the rest of the IC is there as a heat sink for the first couple inches. The taller (and thicker, but I digress) the IC the more profound effect on cooling - I'd rather have an 11"X11" surface area than a 7"X25" like some people get.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The metal thing is not a bumper support. It is the actual bumper, it does not support the bumper cover (the painted urethane thing that makes everyone's teg so pretty.) So if you remove it, you will only be more likely to do more damage to your car in a minor (like 10mph and under) accident. Anything above that it really doesn't do ****, my friend just totaled his car, and the entire radiator support along with the bumper ripped completly off of his car.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jfoster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That makes my stomach turn. </TD></TR></TABLE>

function over fashion. I would do it as clean as possible, but if you need to get more cold air into the IC. you gotta do what you gotta do.

Quick Reply: ~ 9" Tall FMIC on DC2 ??~