Notices

^^^^^Questions about the first start of my built block^^^^^

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ^^^^^Questions about the first start of my built block^^^^^

I have a 84.5mm sleeved block, CP 9.1 pistons Manley rods, LS crank. The head is going to be off of a healthy JDM GSR, I'm planing to clean up the ports, clean the valves and runners and install new seals. The head has ITR cams portflow springs Skunk2 retainers. My block was built by me for boost, the ring gaps are .017 and .019 on the bottom ring, my question is are my chances of sealing the rings better with the stock PCV system while I'm running NA and braking in the rings and all, or should I install a catch can system like Z10 or Endyn even before I install the turbo? Next question, am I going to be ok starting the 84.5mm bore block with a map for 81mm bore? I'm only talking about idling it for 10-15 minutes and maybe taking it around the neighborhood. Last question, Is it possible to use a wide-band o2 like the PLX or Innovative by it self, no standalone just a chipped P28????

[img]http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNDU4NTkxNnM0MTNmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg[/img

Modified by leadfoot78 at 9:28 AM 1/17/2005
Old 08-08-2004, 01:00 PM

Default Re: ^^^^^Questions about the first start of my built block^^^^^ (leadfoot78)

i would, and did, install a breather kit before the motor is in. it makes your motor run cleaner and also it will be a PITA to install it with the motor in.

i started my 83mm on stock ecu and injectors and i was fine, drove it for like 1 mile to make sure the clutch was working and all. then it was off to the dyno.

read this...
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=878397

you can use a wideband with any ecu it doesnt matter, as long as you have a separate bung for the wideband 02, or your wideband has a narow band output.

Landon
Old 08-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ^^^^^Questions about the first start of my built block^^^^^ (boosted_dc2)

My built block will be started with WB installed and tuned immediately. There is far too much risk in driving an untuned fresh motor for my taste.

I would use the stock pcv system for a while then change what you want to later. I don't know if it will actually help the seating process but if your running it NA the stock parts are designed pretty nicely for that.

BTW- watch out for this landon kid, he'll like run up to you in traffic and verbally assault you and ****
Old 08-08-2004, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ^^^^^Questions about the first start of my built block^^^^^ (boosted_dc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted_dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would, and did, install a breather kit before the motor is in. it makes your motor run cleaner and also it will be a PITA to install it with the motor in.

i started my 83mm on stock ecu and injectors and i was fine, drove it for like 1 mile to make sure the clutch was working and all. then it was off to the dyno.

read this...
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=878397

you can use a wideband with any ecu it doesnt matter, as long as you have a separate bung for the wideband 02, or your wideband has a narow band output.

Landon</TD></TR></TABLE>

I will add to this post.

Endyn system uses the PCV valve to help with ring seal and make it legal.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I'm going to gat a wide-band and the Endyn system and then start it. The block had been waiting for months for a head, I'm gonna be shitting bricks when it comes down to actually turning the key.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:32 PM

Default Re: ^^^^^Questions about the first start of my built block^^^^^ (leadfoot78)

You can install the catch can but that will be minimal in regards to the wide band. I suggest you only start your car on the dyno with a wideband, unless you are tuning it real time with a laptop and a wideband. You should crank the engine over with the coil disconnected until you reach pressure and then let the engine sit, drain and put some fresh crude oil in before you start it. That way you make sure that oil is in the entire engine. The stock pvc works good for street N/A but I recomend installing another catch can such as Endyn's after turbo. If your turbo system has a wastegate you can install it right away and just remove the spring, that way the car will not boost and you will not have to go through the hassle of removing a header and reinstalling a turbo kit. If you do install the Endyn catch can make sure that you use their pvc and we have had good luck with installing the intake part of the pvc before the filter so that you have vacume while the car is running and then the oil will drain back into the engine when the car is off. If it is a fresh motor and you get the rings to seal at the proper temperature ( aka wideband ) you will only be filtering out the oil that is in the form of vapor. We installed the Endyn catch can with our project Integra Type R Turbo by plumbing into the HKS filter istself.