Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **H-T Members Triggering an Intercooler Fan**

Hi There H-T Members ,

Triggering an Intercooler Fan

Stop heat-soaking the intercooler conditions

In turbo intercooled cars, it’s of critical importance to keep the off-boost temperature of the intercooler core low. That’s the case because an intercooler that’s kept colder can absorb more heat before passing that heat on to the engine. Basically, the intercooler works more effectively as a heat-sink, smoothing out the intake air temp spikes that otherwise occur in turbo road cars. But when people are making decisions about intercooler size and placement, most think about only getting rid of the heat being created when the car’s on boost – making sure that there’s adequate airflow through the intercooler, and so on.

And hey, that’s fine – except when you’re stuck at the traffic lights and your underbonnet intercooler is acting as a pre-heater, funnelling hot air through it and out the bonnet scoop. Or your front-mount intercooler is absorbing a heap of heat from the radiator which is only a few centimetres from it... These are major reasons why in many turbo cars, the maximum intake air temps are recorded when the car is actually stopped, idling in hot traffic. Yes, that’s right – not on full boost at all! (And the significance of that is when you cane it off the line, well....)

So how do you keep the intercooler temps down when you’re stationary? The best way is with a fan. That could be the existing electric radiator fan (or the ancillary one often factory-fitted for the air con condenser) or a purpose-fitted fan designed just for intercooler temp reduction. In the case of the rad or air con fan, operating it sucks air not only through the radiator but also through the front-mount intercooler core. That’s especially the case if you use intelligent sealing (eg by black-painted foam rubber) around the core edges. Fed a supply of outside air, the intercooler is much less likely to get heated by the close proximity of the radiator. In the case of underbonnet intercoolers, the dedicated fan will stop the chimney effect - reverse airflow from the engine bay out through the core.

So easy, huh? Just fit a fan (or trigger one already fitted) whenever the intercooler would otherwise be heat soaking.

Original link By Julian Edgar
http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Trigg...8/article.html

So guys if any one did it please be my guest to post your Results,
1-Turbo setups,
2-Fans brands,
3-where its located,
4-intercolers,
5-IAT Temps before and after
data-logs and all especially if you monitors your IAT temps form Ecu units such as Ectune, Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC.
6- don't forget to give your tips idea to make things work perfect.

Hope that we can generate a knowledgeable info.
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2012, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: **H-T Members Triggering an Intercooler Fan**

Most people don't do this, biggest reason is simply because in most cars there isn't much room for fans behind the intercooler.

That being said, all that goes into cooling a radiator can be applied here. Good solid fans, shrouds to direct air, etc.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:53 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Correct. Only the older Turbonetics 350z kits used to use this method, so its nothing new. But it boils down to keeping the engine coolant cool while being stationary. The intercooler itself doesn't hurt or help anything while being stationary anyway. Its about access to the radiator.

Now being in Bahrain, you have some situations that we in the U.S. will probably never see in terms of ambient temperature, but radiator cooling and access is what should be the focus.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SovXietday
Most people don't do this, biggest reason is simply because in most cars there isn't much room for fans behind the intercooler.

That being said, all that goes into cooling a radiator can be applied here. Good solid fans, shrouds to direct air, etc.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Correct. Only the older Turbonetics 350z kits used to use this method, so its nothing new. But it boils down to keeping the engine coolant cool while being stationary. The intercooler itself doesn't hurt or help anything while being stationary anyway. Its about access to the radiator.

Now being in Bahrain, you have some situations that we in the U.S. will probably never see in terms of ambient temperature, but radiator cooling and access is what should be the focus.
Thanks guy That is a Good Explain.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hussain-vtec
in many turbo cars, the maximum intake air temps are recorded when the car is actually stopped, idling in hot traffic. Yes, that’s right – not on full boost at all! (And the significance of that is when you cane it off the line, well....)
This is true but in my experience you will see IATs drop to normal seconds after the vehicle starts moving again. Wouldn't an intercooler sprayer - or even water/meth injection be more effective at cooling charge than fans that only work when the car is stationary?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:37 PM

The intercooler sprayer yes.. The meth water injection works directly at cooling cylinder pressures while under boost, not while stationary, and doesn't affect ambient temperatures.

Last edited by TheShodan; 05-30-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Muckman
This is true but in my experience you will see IATs drop to normal seconds after the vehicle starts moving again. Wouldn't an intercooler sprayer - or even water/meth injection be more effective at cooling charge than fans that only work when the car is stationary?
methanol/water injection wouldnt work that effective in a free air situation, like shodan said, you have to inject it in a place where it can directly effect the combustion chamber.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 06-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had just bought a couple slim electric fans to replace my factory ones on the ac and radiator for my turbo setup. I was planning on putting them on the outside of the radiator and ac, inbetween the intercooler to push air through the rad and ac towards the engine bay. Would that help with heat soaking or would it be too much for just those two fans? I just want to make sure that I'm keeping a good airflow to the radiator as a priority though. Good placement?
Old 06-03-2012, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by 99siky
I had just bought a couple slim electric fans to replace my factory ones on the ac and radiator for my turbo setup. I was planning on putting them on the outside of the radiator and ac, inbetween the intercooler to push air through the rad and ac towards the engine bay. Would that help with heat soaking or would it be too much for just those two fans? I just want to make sure that I'm keeping a good airflow to the radiator as a priority though. Good placement?
You'd actually do more harm than good placing them like that. Put it in the normal locations as puller fans, and you'll be fine. Make sure they have over 900cfm.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You'd actually do more harm than good placing them like that. Put it in the normal locations as puller fans, and you'll be fine. Make sure they have over 900cfm.
Ok. Thank you. I appreciate the info. I'm going to work on it today.