Notices

***Please Help me with the Burning Oil Problem***

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***Please Help me with the Burning Oil Problem***

UPDATE

Today i put my car back together from fixing my manifold and of course i was still smoking. I was driving and i blew a charge pipe off so i turned around to go home. I noticed that i was still burning oil as blue smoke was stil shooting out. Could this stil be oil seals in the turbo. can they just leak into the exhasut and burn from the heat?

Or could this be a more serious problem like rings? When i was still, i revved it to like 3000 to make sure my fan would kick on, smoke would still be shooting out.

help

Modified by streetlvlhatch at 2:28 PM 6/29/2004
Old 05-24-2004, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

*bump* for ya
Old 05-24-2004, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ***Please Help me with the Burning Oil Problem*** (streetlvlhatch)

How old are the valve stem seals? They might need replacing.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:12 AM

Default Re: ***Please Help me with the Burning Oil Problem*** (RyanCivic2000)

i havent replaced them. I bought the head used... so it could be it. Any other suggestions?
Old 05-24-2004, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by streetlvlhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i havent replaced them. I bought the head used... so it could be it. Any other suggestions?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Definately check the seals then. A compression test might not show wear or damage to oil rings, but you just rebuilt the bottom end and the rings should be new, right? So I'm going with the valve stem seals as your problem.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:31 AM

Also check you lower intercooler piping and downpipe for oil. Could also be the seals in your turbo. If you do show signs of oil there check your return line, it vould be backing up oil into your turbo.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:39 AM

Default Re: ***Please Help me with the Burning Oil Problem*** (FOrSfEd)

My oil return line is a little iffy. its on a downward slope, but kind of levels off at the end. Would this cause damanage to my turbo?

Also, the time i notice the most smoke is when i decelerate, and then hit the gas.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:45 AM

It could cause the oil not to drain out like it should and cause the oil to drain some back into your turbo which in turn could cause blue smoke. I think thats what mine is doind so I'm gonna look how I can fix that throug my oil drain line. A goodthing to do that was brought to my attention from turbotyper is to have the drain plug actually in your motor refer here for pics.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=872528

I would do this just kinda scared too...
Old 05-24-2004, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FOrSfEd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It could cause the oil not to drain out like it should and cause the oil to drain some back into your turbo which in turn could cause blue smoke. I think thats what mine is doind so I'm gonna look how I can fix that throug my oil drain line. A goodthing to do that was brought to my attention from turbotyper is to have the drain plug actually in your motor refer here for pics.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=872528

I would do this just kinda scared too...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I saw that. That's definately something to check also.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the thing i dont get is that if your turbo is higher than your oil pan the oil wouldnt be able to back up in to the turbo right? i thought as long as the point it starts from is higher then the end it cant flow back up, not in less when you let off the gas the drop in oil pressure almost makes the oils scifun back up the return?
Old 05-24-2004, 10:27 AM

Default Re: ***Please Help me with the Burning Oil Problem*** (B18C1CYA)

I was thinking about that too, maybe someone can post some insight on that cause I would like to know...
Old 05-24-2004, 10:33 AM

What size oil feed and return lines are you running? Some guy on here was running a -6AN line as a oil feed and he was wondering why his exhaust smoked so much. It was a little turbo too.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:43 AM

depends also on the thickness of ure return, i drilled a hole on the very top of my pan and just used a stock dsm return pipe, cut it, and have high heat 3/4 inch tubing connecting the ends. works with no problem
Old 05-24-2004, 10:56 AM

Default Re: ***Please Help me with the Burning Oil Problem*** (VacantBanana)

Where do you have your PVC resivor line connected to? Or where is the line on your valve cover hooked up to? Do you have these ran to a catch can? IF you have these connected to a boosted source than you could be sucking in oil to the manifold. If these aren't the problem than it could be that the turbo seals are leaking alittle too. Your compression seems to be good so I don't think its internally something with the motor. Do you have any oil leaks??
Old 05-24-2004, 11:33 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A leakdown test should test the valve seals.
However a leakdown test nor a compression test can test the oil ring since the upper compression rings hold back the compression.

Compression or leakdown tests dont tell you **** about **** half the time.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:23 PM

Default Re: ***Please Help me with the Burning Oil Problem*** (Muckman)

well im not sure on the oil feed size, its one from stan. And the return is a pretty large size, definetely twice the size of the feed.

the Pcv is a different story. I could use help here. I have an ls/vtec motor, with a gsr head, and a b18b block. To my understanding, the pcv is on the valve cover for a ls, and on the gsr, its on the black box on the back of the block. So what am i sopposed to do? I just have a little filter comin off the valve cover now. I have had this setup since day 1, and the smoke just started happening.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:34 PM

I'm having the same problem as you are. Do you have a stainless steel braided return line? Rubber? Mine also slopes down and levels off at the end. People say my 2002 civic has a shallow oil pan and that may make the oil backup at the return line.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by streetlvlhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the Pcv is a different story. I could use help here. I have an ls/vtec motor, with a gsr head, and a b18b block. To my understanding, the pcv is on the valve cover for a ls, and on the gsr, its on the black box on the back of the block. So what am i sopposed to do? I just have a little filter comin off the valve cover now. I have had this setup since day 1, and the smoke just started happening.</TD></TR></TABLE>

PCV=positive crankcase ventilation

Meaning it should be on the block of both the LS and GSR.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:58 PM

Modified by streetlvlhatch at 10:05 PM 6/18/2004
Old 05-24-2004, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It looks like your oil return is WAY too low. The oil level in the pan is probably that high, which makes it harder for the oil from the turbo to dump back in the pan.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is WAY to low...You cant put the oil return below the level of oil in the pan...and that oil line sucks....check you charge piping for oil your turbos seals are probably screwed

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A leakdown test should test the valve seals.
However a leakdown test nor a compression test can test the oil ring since the upper compression rings hold back the compression.

Compression or leakdown tests dont tell you **** about **** half the time.</TD></TR></TABLE>...........

How the hell do you think a leak down test would test valve stem seals when you do a leakdown at TDC with both valves closed? it would only show you if the valves were seated.....The valve stem seal is the oil seal on the top of the valve guide under the valve springs.... If your valve seals were bad it would smoke bad under vaccum...when you bumped the throttle at idle and let off it would smoke for a few seconds and the die down...BC it would suck the oil from the intake side valve stem seals.....
Old 05-24-2004, 07:26 PM

Default Re: ***Please Help me with the Burning Oil Problem*** (D@nnY)

yea the line is way low. but that line doesnt suck, as long as it doesnt leak. some people think you HAVE to have stainless braided.^^^^

Landon
Old 05-25-2004, 10:56 AM

Default Re: ***Please Help me with the Burning Oil Problem*** (boosted_dc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted_dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea the line is way low. but that line doesnt suck, as long as it doesnt leak. some people think you HAVE to have stainless braided.^^^^

Landon</TD></TR></TABLE>

The stainless braided hose is cheap insurance. Tell that to guys who have had their rubber return lines crack and all of their oil dumped on the freeway while their bearings ate ****.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ***Please Help me with the Burning Oil Problem*** (iiilgsrlll)

i agree with everyone else, your line is fine except the drain is practically at the bottom of the oil pan.. I'd say that is definitly below the oil line and that could very well be causing your blue smoke.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:34 PM

Default Re: ***Please Help me with the Burning Oil Problem*** (jmagner)

Modified by streetlvlhatch at 10:06 PM 6/18/2004

Quick Reply: ***Please Help me with the Burning Oil Problem***