Notices

***Oil Drain Question***

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***Oil Drain Question***

Alright I have been running this oil drain for about three months right now and it is starting to bother me. I pull the intake pipe off my turbo about twice a week and about once a week I see some black residue just inside the housing where the pipe connector connects, before the blades. I wipe the black stuff off, but it is not oily, it is is kind of like a powder. Also there is sometimes a tiny drip of oil on the fitting that goes to the oil pan from the oil drain.

I am not sure what this is, but it is beginning to make me worried about the oil drain. The line was a little long so there are some bend in it before it gets to the pan. It also seems like it may dip a little bit before it enters the pan.

Here are some shots:

Here is the entry to the pan, it is slightly angled downward before the fitting

Here is the angle

Here is the whole line, note the bends

Here is the drip, and the fitting that I would like to remove, cut and put back together

Here is the black sooty stuff from the compressor housing on the right, and right next to it on the left is the oil from the drip.

Oil is really clean, changed 4 days ago, about 200 miles on it.
The black stuff feels almost like its fine dirt particles or something. There is a tiny rip in my air filter.

My question is does this look like bad news for my turbo?
Could it be the culpris behind the residue in the compressor housing?
Is there anyway I can take the fitting off the end of the line, cut the line shorter and reattach the line?

Any responses are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Modified by GS-R Civic at 4:10 PM 4/24/2006
Old 04-24-2006, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ***Oil Drain Question*** (GS-R Civic)

hmmm..what is your mani and turbo setup? im assuming log mani ac style with the compressor on the passenger side? i ask b/c thats the same setup i have but with mine i looped the oil drain around the front of the downpipe, which allowed for a nice smooth bend to the pan.

that oil drip in the like looks like its coming from the line itself, maybe due to the stress its under from making it bend so much..i dunno. i really didnt think it looked too bad but this pic... kind scares me cause it looks like the line may be kinda kinked or flattened out some at the bends.

i mean it may not be that big of a problem but the leaky line tells me there must be something goin on. as far as the residue goes im not too sure. may just be normal build up.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ***Oil Drain Question*** (dpetro1)

also the pan itself looks wet. is the return fitting leaking or is that something else?
Old 04-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ***Oil Drain Question*** (dpetro1)

Im running a Blox manifold & SC34 with the compressor on the passanger side.
The residue on the pan is probally from one of the two oil pan gaskets that blew before I removed the PVC valve.

I never noticed that the line looks flattened in the picture until you said something.

I also was assuming that the drip was because of the slight angle before entering the pan and having oil sit there all the time.

I am not losing oil, there is no drip on the ground. Believe me I am used to checking after all those oil pan gaskets.

Any ideas on the angle of the line or being able to shorten it?
Old 04-24-2006, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From the way the hose is angled coming out of the fitting, it looks like the hose crept out of the fitting during the assembily process. Did you mark the hose while you tightened the fitting down?

But at any rate, I would take the line off, and reinstall the fitting. the actual return line looks fine however (angle/bends).

Also, do you have a dump tube, or a leaky down pipe? The residue might just be carbon build up from the turbo sucking in exhaust?
Old 04-24-2006, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bryson)

I never thought of the line backing out, so i can just loosen the fitting the tighten it again? Can i cut the line down some then re attach it?

My dumptube is ran under my oil pan on the driver side and I have an intake tube running all the way behind my passanger headlight.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GS-R Civic)

Should I worry about the drop in the line? I have a change to get to the track Weds and I don't want this issue in the back of my mind.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (GS-R Civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GS-R Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Should I worry about the drop in the line? I have a change to get to the track Weds and I don't want this issue in the back of my mind.</TD></TR></TABLE>

As long as the fitting on the pan is lower than the outlet of the turbo you should be ok. Have you seen the drain line of a common household sink? your line looks fine, other than the leakage.

I would take off that fitting, clean it, and then reinstall it with the hose clearly marked so you can see how much it backed out.

Old 04-24-2006, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bryson)

Alright man thanks, that image of the kitchen sink made me feel better!