Notices

Inconel studs for turbo and head?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Inconel studs for turbo and head?????

Well I've been searching and searching with little results. I'm mainly looking for head to manifold inconel studs but haven't found many. Here are some below but I'm not sure the factory threaded lengths.

https://www.fensport.co.uk/products/...anifold-flange
Total Length: 40mm
Longest threaded section: 18mm
Unthreaded : 8.4mm
Shortest threaded section : 13mm

https://www.ecsexhaust.com.au/incone...-m8-x-1~131817
  • OVERALL LENGTH - 40MM
  • THREAD LENGTH FLANGE SIDE - 12MM
  • SHANK + THREAD LENGTH TURBO SIDE - 28MM

But worth mentioning is none I have found are in the states.
Old 03-31-2023, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts
Default Re: Inconel studs for turbo and head?????

I know ARP has a pack of (at least stainless steel) studs for our manifolds.

I personally have titanium studs on my exhaust side, hoping I don't regret that. Wasn't paying the most attention at that time when I ordered those.

ARP Stainless, probably what I should have gone with - https://ipgparts.com/products/arp-ex...series-engines
Old 03-31-2023, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
I know ARP has a pack of (at least stainless steel) studs for our manifolds.

I personally have titanium studs on my exhaust side, hoping I don't regret that. Wasn't paying the most attention at that time when I ordered those.

ARP Stainless, probably what I should have gone with - https://ipgparts.com/products/arp-ex...series-engines
I can't get behind the cost of ARP studs for something as simple as manifold mounting. Here are all of the studs by McMaster. https://www.mcmaster.com/products/th...pitch~1-25-mm/

Worth noting is the ARP studs are 300 which is the same as 18-8. The same studs on McMaster are $2.61 each. Sure you will need to source nuts and washers but come on...

https://www.dekmake.com/titanium-vs-...0is%20required.

Titanium vs Stainless Steel: Shear Strength

A material’s shear strength is its resistant properties against a shear load before the component fails in shear. The shear action occurs normally in a parallel direction to the direction of the force acting on a plane. Titanium shear stress is rated between 240 to 335 MPa depending on alloy properties while the stress of stainless steel is rated between 74.5 – 597 MPa. This shows that stainless steel is a perfect choice in situations where high resistance against shear load is required.
What I have found in searching is Titanium and SS gall very easily. So make sure you use high temperature lube. That is what I've read from other forums. Many suggest "copper grease". https://www.google.com/search?q=Copa...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Also what I've come to find out is high tensile strength (10.9/12.9) vs medium (8.8) will lose their tensile strength with heat and also higher tensile strength is more brittle. Snapping vs 8.8 maybe bending. Just back on the topic of steel. Inconel is totally different though...

Old 03-31-2023, 08:48 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I don't see the point for inconel-treated manifold studs. Those don't reach anywhere near the temperatures that turbine exhaust wheels see. And I have a set of the ARP manifold studs. Nice stuff, but had to almost make a tool to reach the 12point heads of those things, especially when mounting the exhaust manifold.
Old 03-31-2023, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I don't see the point for inconel-treated manifold studs. Those don't reach anywhere near the temperatures that turbine exhaust wheels see. And I have a set of the ARP manifold studs. Nice stuff, but had to almost make a tool to reach the 12point heads of those things, especially when mounting the exhaust manifold.
My titanium studs came with the same 12 point nuts, on a few of them I just ditched the 12 points and switched to a normal hex nut so I could use an open end wrench instead of a socket to tighten it down.
Old 04-02-2023, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What are you expecting to gain from inconel studs? The main purpose behind super alloys existing is because they are dimensionally stable up until their melting point. I would think as far as hardware goes, if you want to be fancy, titanium would be more than sufficient as it is pretty damn heat resistant. I’ve not had any problems with my stainless manifold hardware
Old 04-03-2023, 06:05 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

I could see using them to prevent creep / axial growth / stretching. Not sure it's needed at the head, but maybe at manifold/turbine housing or turbine housing/downpipe?
Old 04-03-2023, 10:41 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by DaX
I could see using them to prevent creep / axial growth / stretching. Not sure it's needed at the head, but maybe at manifold/turbine housing or turbine housing/downpipe?
Again, no. The turbine housing and and manifold still don't see the same temperatures as the turbine wheel itself sees. You'd think it'd be pretty damn close to the 1600-1800*F that the turbine wheel itself sees, but it's just exigent heat, and not heat to the point where fluid dynamics comes into play. Remember that old movie "The Core" with Delroy Lindo & Stanley Tucci & Aaron Eckart (2-Face from The Dark Knight Returns)? Think fluid dynamics when going to the center of the earth. That's when those heat treatments are typically needed.

The Core
Old 04-03-2023, 12:54 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Inconel is not a heat treatment. It's an alloy. Bolt stress relaxation (loss of clamping force) begins much lower than any melting point...for carbon steels we're talking only a couple hundred degrees Fahrenheit.
Old 04-03-2023, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

And not just any alloy, it’s a super alloy. Yes that’s a real term given to any alloy that remains dimensionally stable up to its melting point. Inconel is of the nickel variety

im with you Dax, they may not be a total waste of money at the turbine housing
Old 04-03-2023, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem and needed to replace some of my exhaust studs and wasn't about to pay ARP $120 for a set. I ended up buying Volvo part number 953047, they're M8 x 45MM, and I believe are Inconel - but either way, are hardened heat treated. Works great and is way stronger than the OEM Honda studs.

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/5533...-953047-112433
Old 04-04-2023, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by liam821
I had the same problem and needed to replace some of my exhaust studs and wasn't about to pay ARP $120 for a set. I ended up buying Volvo part number 953047, they're M8 x 45MM, and I believe are Inconel - but either way, are hardened heat treated. Works great and is way stronger than the OEM Honda studs.

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/5533...-953047-112433
What makes you believe they are Inconel? More so what makes you think they are "way stronger than the OEM Honda studs"? Not to sound rash or rude, just want to know where these claims come from. Did you measure the threaded lengths to the OEM studs? Strength wise I would see the studs bottoming out on the head being a bigger factor than the strength of the metal. You want them to utilize all of the threads in the head.