Notices

***HELP!! Open stud stuck in the back of my block/ d16z6

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***HELP!! Open stud stuck in the back of my block/ d16z6

hey you guys. . . i've come to the end of a road. . i dont know what else to do. . i tried to use a cheap oil feed line kit. with an open stud and a brass t fitting. . the problem is that i threaded it in. . then bought a new oil line kit from stealthmode. . so i needed to take the t fitting and stud out. . well the t fitting came off. . and now the stud is stuck in the back of my block. . i have tried so much to get this thing out. . i have pictures right now of me drying a bolt onto the end with JBweld. . i also tried using two nuts interlocked. . unfortunately there arent enough threads sticking out for that. . so i even tried to JB behind one nut but that seemed to fail also. . .i also tried using an "easy-out" BUT there is such limited room behind my block that i cant fit anything back there to un-twist it out. . . THE STUD IS DIRECTLY ABOVE WHERE YOU WOULD PUT THE OIL FILTER. i need any other suggestions you have on how i can get this out of my engine!!! so i can run my turbo civic!! THANKS FOR THE HELP!!

here are the pics:

sorry for the bad pictures. .
Old 05-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

worst comes to worst
take off the intake manifold
Old 05-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ***HELP!! Open stud stuck in the back of my block/ d16z6 (IWantATurbo)

I'm not sure I understand what happened?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IWantATurbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> with an open stud and a brass t fitting. . the problem is that i threaded it in. .</TD></TR></TABLE>

What's an "open stud"? You "threaded it in"? Threaded [what] in [where]?

Is your brass oil fitting stuck in the block? Why won't it just unscrew again? And what are you using JB weld for?

I'm confused.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ***HELP!! Open stud stuck in the back of my block/ d16z6 (EJ1 wilcox)

yes my brass oil fitting is stuck in the block. . its open . . meaning its a stud but it has a hole through it. .
Old 05-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

he tryed to jbweld a bolt there on the fitting to loosen.take it out
but i can tell you jbweld wont work
im sure its pretty hard in the block alrady

it looks like the fitting is a sqare...go grab a adjustable wnench thiny to take it out
Old 05-17-2006, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (importdude2000)

the stud isnt square however . . so that square fitting will just come right off
Old 05-17-2006, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IWantATurbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IWantATurbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the stud isnt square however . . so that square fitting will just come right off</TD></TR></TABLE>

It should, just unscrew it.

Old 05-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJ1 wilcox)

i am not worried about the fitting coming off. . i jst need the stud that the fitting is on to come out.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (IWantATurbo)

so that fitting on the end isnt the one thats stuck? there is a brass nipple in the hole thats stuck?
Old 05-17-2006, 07:03 PM

take said such fitting off w/ a pair of vise grips or adjustable wrench ....then get channy's or vice grips and remove said such brass nipple.....drink beer and boost away
Old 05-17-2006, 07:05 PM

Default Re: (y7turbo)

If there is any amount of the stud sticking out of the block, I might try a hacksaw blade on the end of it to make a groove in it and use a flathead to try to unscrew it.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ***HELP!! Open stud stuck in the back of my block/ d16z6 (IWantATurbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drumking15 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take said such fitting off w/ a pair of vise grips or adjustable wrench ....then get channy's or vice grips and remove said such brass nipple.....drink beer and boost away</TD></TR></TABLE>

USE VICE GRIPS!

if u have to take the intake manifold off and do it from the top.

ull get that thing out in a sinch with vise grips!
Old 05-17-2006, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ***HELP!! Open stud stuck in the back of my block/ d16z6 (nickromeo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nickromeo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">USE VICE GRIPS!

ull get that thing out in a sinch with vise grips!</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^

Vise Grips man.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ***HELP!! Open stud stuck in the back of my block/ d16z6 (Tactic$)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tactic$ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
^^^
Vise Grips man. </TD></TR></TABLE>

cant, no room for vice grips.. i tryed

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nickromeo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
USE VICE GRIPS!
ull get that thing out in a sinch with vise grips!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Vice gribs wont hold strong enough on an angle it just slips right off.. no way to get the grips flush with the block, just not enough room

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stealthmode62 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> If there is any amount of the stud sticking out of the block, I might try a hacksaw blade on the end of it to make a groove in it and use a flathead to try to unscrew it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

My idea but he wont listen to me

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drumking15 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take said such fitting off w/ a pair of vise grips or adjustable wrench ....then get channy's or vice grips and remove said such brass nipple.....drink beer and boost away</TD></TR></TABLE>

The square fitting comes right off.. the brass fitting is both on there like a bitch and theres no room for vice grips... and i was thinking since you cant weld brass, i didnt think jb weld would work

any other suggestions???
Old 05-17-2006, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ***HELP!! Open stud stuck in the back of my block/ d16z6 (dohcdelsol)

man, this happened to me not once, but twice. i noticed the brass got really soft after running a while and break off. the only way to take it off that i did is get a reverse drill bit. that should do the trick.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ***HELP!! Open stud stuck in the back of my block/ d16z6 (LilCivic04)

well i know kyle (IWantATurbo) used the bolt extracter and he didnt have any luck but he is a moron so may be i should try it...
Old 05-18-2006, 03:31 AM

i know vice grips are probably the only thing that is going to work...ive dealt w/ this problem...it can be gotten from the bottom you just need the right set of vise grips...mine were the very tiny needle nosed ones...it was a bitch but it can be done....otherwise pull off the intake mani and go to town
Old 05-18-2006, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ***HELP!! Open stud stuck in the back of my block/ d16z6 (dohcdelsol)

thanks a lot andy, dick! ha ha. . . yeah man i did try it . . i tried it again but it didnt work. . . this thing sucks!

any more suggestions!?
Old 05-18-2006, 03:43 AM

also another thing....if it frees up some space you can remove the nipple for the oil filter...
Old 05-18-2006, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (drumking15)

same here, this happened to me twice with brass...I eventually changed to stainless from McMaster Carr. I used a drill out that had a hex head so I could use my ratchet to turn since room was limited. The drillout was a kit from the local Snapon Guy...good luck
Old 05-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blues2k3)

thanks but i think the brass might be too soft. . .

bump up for more suggestionss!
Old 05-18-2006, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could he buy a reverse tap and try to tap it? is there enough room for that. if the tap woulscut tight enough, it probably grab it an undo it
Old 05-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A proper set of Grips would work.

I've fixed this twice on other's cars. ( I have also tried the hacksaw suggestion, but didn't work for us)
Old 05-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ***HELP!! Open stud stuck in the back of my block/ d16z6 (whess)

dude try a REVERSE drill bit, but do it very slowly it will come out. seems you haven't tried that.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a set of plyers. patience, and leverage will do the trick. Before you go crazy on the thing I would take off the intake manifold and get the plyers from the top so that you don't break the stud inthere and be proper fucked. Just take themani off about 30-60 minutes and take the stud off not hard. Good luck

Quick Reply: ***HELP!! Open stud stuck in the back of my block/ d16z6