***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug*** - Page 2 - Honda-Tech


***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug***

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2012, 05:09 AM   #26
Honda-Tech Member
 
tepid1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: CT
Posts: 8,387
Default Re: ***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug***

That magnifying glass above isn't any good. You need the right tool to do the job.


This will actually allow you to see the base of the porcelin.
tepid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #27
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
hussain-vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: BAHRAIN
Posts: 330
Default Re: ***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug***

Quote:
Originally Posted by tepid1 View Post
That magnifying glass above isn't any good. You need the right tool to do the job.

This will actually allow you to see the base of the porcelin.
Thanks that post will be edited with the right tools and links too.
hussain-vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #28
Honda-Tech Member
 
99siky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 82
Default Re: ***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug***

Getting ready to install my turbo setup on my factory B16A2 SI this week. I will definitely use this thread. Added to favorites. Refreshing and informative read. THANK YOU! I will be putting up a build thread here soon too.
99siky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:47 AM   #29
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
hussain-vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: BAHRAIN
Posts: 330
Default Re: ***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug***

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99siky View Post
Getting ready to install my turbo setup on my factory B16A2 SI this week. I will definitely use this thread. Added to favorites. Refreshing and informative read. THANK YOU! I will be putting up a build thread here soon too.
Your welcome an good luck, wish you all the best in your build an life Too!
hussain-vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #30
Honda-Tech Member
 
CrisFerio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: FL, Hialeah
Posts: 34
Default Re: ***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug***

Thank god i read this i had to go one stage colder


CrisFerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #31
Honda-Tech Member
 
ralph11sec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: MANILA, PHILIPPINES, philippines
Posts: 777
Default Re: ***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug***

i love this! i am also a big fan on spark plug analysis when doing tuning!

unfortunately, its very very difficult to read plugs in the track (burn out, too much idle time and running lean (engine break on stopping), it cleans the plug for me to get a good read on!

there are other articles on this like how to determine detonation using 10x magnifier, etc.
ralph11sec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:21 AM   #32
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
hussain-vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: BAHRAIN
Posts: 330
Default Re: ***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug***

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisFerio View Post
Thank god i read this i had to go one stage colder
Good to hear that, i need a favor can you write about your Engine F/I or N/A & spark plug's your using before and after thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph11sec View Post
i love this! i am also a big fan on spark plug analysis when doing tuning!

unfortunately, its very very difficult to read plugs in the track (burn out, too much idle time and running lean (engine break on stopping), it cleans the plug for me to get a good read on!

there are other articles on this like how to determine detonation using 10x magnifier, etc.
There is an articles links available in the first post below,
Thanks for stepping by ralph11sec.

New Link's

Reading Spark Plugs
(This applies to Naturally Aspirated as well as Nitrous Engines)

http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/pontiac...Readplugs.html
hussain-vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #33
Honda-Tech Member
 
CrisFerio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: FL, Hialeah
Posts: 34
Default Re: ***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug***

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussain-vtec View Post
Good to hear that, i need a favor can you write about your Engine F/I or N/A & spark plug's your using before and after thanks in advance.
Welcome. I'm running a 97 B20B P8R head its stock internally. Only upgrades 60mm TB, DC ceramic 4-1, usual short ram, and a stock B1 Im, besides that exedy lightweight flywheel and stage 1 clutch. I'm using a chip P72. I live in south Florida always hot basically humid hot climate and I do alot of highway driving. Thank to this I figured out I had a small detonation when idk. I always use chevron or BP 93 only. As soon as i went stage colder I felt the difference in then higher rpm from 3500 all the to red line 6500 has a way smoother operation. I went from ZFR5F-11 to ZFR6F-11 best choice so far
CrisFerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #34
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
hussain-vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: BAHRAIN
Posts: 330
Default Re: ***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug***

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisFerio View Post
Welcome. I'm running a 97 B20B P8R head its stock internally. Only upgrades 60mm TB, DC ceramic 4-1, usual short ram, and a stock B1 Im, besides that exedy lightweight flywheel and stage 1 clutch. I'm using a chip P72. I live in south Florida always hot basically humid hot climate and I do alot of highway driving. Thank to this I figured out I had a small detonation when idk. I always use chevron or BP 93 only. As soon as i went stage colder I felt the difference in then higher rpm from 3500 all the to red line 6500 has a way smoother operation. I went from ZFR5F-11 to ZFR6F-11 best choice so far
Thanks CrisFerio for posting your set-up, feel free to post new test pics of reading spark plugs any time by practicing you will reach anywhere.
hussain-vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #35
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Posts: 10
Default Re: ***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug***

Great information & very detailed.
94_BB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #36
Honda-Tech Member
 
CrisFerio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: FL, Hialeah
Posts: 34
Default Re: ***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug***

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussain-vtec View Post
Thanks CrisFerio for posting your set-up, feel free to post new test pics of reading spark plugs any time by practicing you will reach anywhere.
Its like everything you learn more everyday
CrisFerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:42 AM   #37
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
hussain-vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: BAHRAIN
Posts: 330
Default Re: ***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug***

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94_BB1 View Post
Great information & very detailed.
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisFerio View Post
Its like everything you learn more everyday
Exactly.
hussain-vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #38
Honda-Tech Member
 
CrisFerio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: FL, Hialeah
Posts: 34
Default Re: ***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug***

Great news I able to average my MPG with the new plugs combined I'm ranging around 26-28, Hwy I'm looking at about 30+. With the old plugs I was getting a rough 22-23 combined and 25 hwy. Once again thank you for sharing this info and knowlegde with all of us.
CrisFerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:41 AM   #39
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
hussain-vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: BAHRAIN
Posts: 330
Default Re: ***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug***

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisFerio View Post
Great news I able to average my MPG with the new plugs combined I'm ranging around 26-28, Hwy I'm looking at about 30+. With the old plugs I was getting a rough 22-23 combined and 25 hwy. Once again thank you for sharing this info and knowlegde with all of us.
Your welcome.
hussain-vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #40
Moderator
 
crazes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: queens, ny
Posts: 3,234
Default Re: ***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug***

this is awesome post. I added it to the prelude FAQ's for people to understand how to do this correctly and what to look for
crazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #42
Honda-Tech Member
 
v8killaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: detroit, mi, usa
Posts: 2,694
Default Re: ***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug***

when tuning timing at wot. can i just use one new plug. then take it out and clean the strap with like a metal brush and run it again and again.
v8killaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:10 AM   #43
Honda-Tech Member
 
Honda Bull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 40.201N, 77.189W, PA
Posts: 4,744
Default Re: ***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug***

WELL ******* DONE!
Honda Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #44
DO IT ON ALL FOURS
 
OneBadTurboCRV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: IN Your Mind
Posts: 7,635
Default Re: ***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug***

Quote:
Originally Posted by tepid1 View Post
That magnifying glass above isn't any good. You need the right tool to do the job.


This will actually allow you to see the base of the porcelin.
Anybody who has actually used that one knows it isn't good unless you are a cave (pitch black). The light is so weak, I tossed it in the trash the first time I used it. Not as fancy looking, but the Moroso one is much better...
OneBadTurboCRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:16 AM   #45
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
hussain-vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: BAHRAIN
Posts: 330
Default Re: ***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug***

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazes View Post
this is awesome post. I added it to the prelude FAQ's for people to understand how to do this correctly and what to look for
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Very impressive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Bull View Post
WELL ******* DONE!
Thanks all !
hussain-vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:17 AM   #46
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
hussain-vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: BAHRAIN
Posts: 330
Default Re: ***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug***

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8killaz View Post
when tuning timing at wot. can i just use one new plug. then take it out and clean the strap with like a metal brush and run it again and again.
Did you read the whole post ?
hussain-vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:18 AM   #47
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
hussain-vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: BAHRAIN
Posts: 330
Default Re: ***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug***

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8killaz View Post
when tuning timing at wot. can i just use one new plug. then take it out and clean the strap with like a metal brush and run it again and again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d View Post
Anybody who has actually used that one knows it isn't good unless you are a cave (pitch black). The light is so weak, I tossed it in the trash the first time I used it. Not as fancy looking, but the Moroso one is much better...
Thanks for the info Bud!
hussain-vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #48
Honda-Tech Member
 
v8killaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: detroit, mi, usa
Posts: 2,694
Default Re: ***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug***

now tell me is my timing correct or should i back off. i have a d16 20 psi and its pushing coolant(assume headlift)
everyone is saying back down on timing. and yes i know gap is too high. i threw one in and forgot to tighten the gap up. ngk 7's one quick pass. ill do more once i get a new headgasket and new set of arp. i think mine are just too old and stretching a bit.


v8killaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:16 AM   #49
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
hussain-vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: BAHRAIN
Posts: 330
Default Re: ***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug***

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8killaz View Post
now tell me is my timing correct or should i back off. i have a d16 20 psi and its pushing coolant(assume headlift)
everyone is saying back down on timing. and yes i know gap is too high. i threw one in and forgot to tighten the gap up. ngk 7's one quick pass. ill do more once i get a new headgasket and new set of arp. i think mine are just too old and stretching a bit.
Firs sorry for the delayed respond,
Second its a new set Spark plug so it will be tricky to read, but Where your Base timing at ?

Second the heat Rang is not clear to me in your posted photos i Think you
did this wot pass that is why it is not marked in the plug threaded side.

Third if your are tuning your car you should see and keep your Eye on the ECT and the IAT Temps they have to be same every pass on the same road to be on the right Track in tuning your Engine, lots of things you have pay attention for it.

Your plug gap will play a huge role in your map ignition timing, for Example if you motor tuned properly and lets say that you will fix a new set of Spark plug's, they should be the same heat range as the old one and gaped the same as well.

My advise is take it to Good tuner and ask him to guide you that is much better.

Hope that is serve you v8killaz !

Last edited by hussain-vtec; 10-13-2012 at 05:31 AM.
hussain-vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #50
Honda-Tech Member
 
ashb82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: sndy r, nc, usa
Posts: 1,238
Default Re: ***The Basics of Reading a Spark Plug***

there is way to many people tuning there own car here for this to be a post on H-T.
I have been tuning my car at the track. my sohc non vtec went [email protected] 1/8th on pump gas with out a dyno tune.i wanted to up the boost but it gets rich and i cant control the fuel. i dont see specs on the plugs but something is going on.
ashb82 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY: How to test for spark and to troubleshoot spark problems Former User Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) 17 08-19-2016 09:34 AM
Reading Spark Plugs - A Discussion blackeg Engine Management and Tuning 57 07-20-2016 11:38 AM
Detonation check list fly_high_gsr Engine Management and Tuning 1 02-07-2009 01:55 PM
Fuking POS Autozone Compression Testers DFW Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) 29 03-23-2007 05:47 AM
my spark plugs after track day... marc.ejay-twenty Forced Induction 36 03-08-2004 04:17 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:08 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send