Notices

*** anyone ever use a small PULLER fan behind there FMIC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *** anyone ever use a small PULLER fan behind there FMIC?

I was just thinking if it would be nice to have one. while your motor is idleing in traffic or in the staging lanes.

it would mainly be for AIDING the cooling features of a FMIC while in stand still.
My FMIC is mostlikely going to be the Precision "600hp" size of <U>31 x 8 x 3.5 </U>

do they make fans that small?...

what are your thoughts on this idea?
Old 06-30-2004, 10:29 AM

Default Re: *** anyone ever use a small PULLER fan behind there FMIC? (Charlie Moua)

I was just pondering this the other day.. They make fans that are like 5"x5" for car stereo stuff that might work.. I dont know how the cooling effort would work but its worth a shot..
Old 06-30-2004, 10:44 AM

Default Re: *** anyone ever use a small PULLER fan behind there FMIC? (tgreaves)

I think that is great idea, I was also doing the same thing as well.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:45 AM

What would it help? at idle your intake air temps won't be high, as your turbo won't be compressing anything.

What are you trying to help the intercooler do? Anything behind the intercooler will serve as an obstruction, unless it moves are much faster than your vehicle speed... see what I mean?
Old 06-30-2004, 10:51 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Mad Cow)

Only one way to find out. Log air intake temps before and after fan install.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:53 AM

But why? I don't understand.. what advantage does lower intake temps have at idle? They're only going to go up when you accellerate... what effect is this going to have once you stop idling, other than to serve as a restriction?

Am I missing something?
Old 06-30-2004, 10:57 AM

Well when your sitting your intercooler is still heating up since the hot air from the turbo is flowing through it and it isnt cooling any since no air is flowing through it..

With a "intercooler fan" it would keep the intercooler at a lower temp and when you take off you would be starting with a cooler intercooler.. If that makes sense..

The heat your trying to deter at idle isnt from air compression its from heat soaked intercooler pipes and compressor housing..

The only thing that scares me is that the fan would probably be an obstruction in flowing "moving" air though the intercooler.. But then again there is only one way to tell I guess..
Old 06-30-2004, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with Mad Cow on this one. Any impact those fans have at high speeds will be very minimal. And there will be no effectiveness at low speeds. Can't solve heat soak in the piping after the intercooler

Intercooler sprayer is much more effective.

damn it Mad Cow..... u got that same quote as me in your sig...lol
Old 06-30-2004, 11:09 AM

Default Re: (MachAF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MachAF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I agree with Mad Cow on this one. Any impact those fans have at high speeds will be very minimal.

Intercooler sprayer is much more effective.

damn it Mad Cow..... u got that same quote as me in your sig...lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

High speeds? do you mean the fans spinning at high speeds or the car moving at high speeds..

If you mean the car then the fans will have no effect while moving.. It might help just to kill heat at idle..

Put it this way.. If the air going through your intercooler at idle is 130 degrees.. If this fan idea works and works good then the air temp would be like 110 degrees at idle.. When you take off your starting will air that is 20 degrees cooler thus netting more power from it.. If you drive for 10 minutes lets say then the fans wont do anything and the temps will be the same with or without them since the air moving through the intercooler is more than what the fans can move and its over a larger area.. I would guess it would just be better for when your sitting in the stageing lanes idleing waiting to get to the line(no air movement)..

Im just guessing at the temp here btw..
Old 06-30-2004, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tgreaves)

I ran one on my wrx... however, it was much beefier than the ones that you are talking about. Mine was a spal 6in. it moved some decent air, but it was hard to say if it made any REAL difference. It did seem to keep the overall temp of the IC lower, and cool it off quicker after heatsoak, but otherthan that, I cant say that I noticed much.

On my street civic, Im likely to do the same thing tho. Because I am only planning to run a talon sidemount, and Im sure that it wont hurt to help it out in any way possible...
Old 06-30-2004, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (trboCIVICWRX)

great disccusion.

i do see where your coming from Mad-cow..

heatsoak is a big issue during traffice/stop & go just sucks..
Not to mention i have small turbo on my ef hb b18c so i get into boost very very soon.

you can also think of it as it venting the engine bay too, while in stand still.

Old 06-30-2004, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (trboCIVICWRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trboCIVICWRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I ran one on my wrx... however, it was much beefier than the ones that you are talking about. Mine was a spal 6in. it moved some decent air, but it was hard to say if it made any REAL difference. It did seem to keep the overall temp of the IC lower, and cool it off quicker after heatsoak, but otherthan that, I cant say that I noticed much.

On my street civic, Im likely to do the same thing tho. Because I am only planning to run a talon sidemount, and Im sure that it wont hurt to help it out in any way possible...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where was your intercooler located? If its in the stock position, fans will help because that thing it sitting right by the engine soaking up all the heat.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tgreaves)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tgreaves &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

High speeds? do you mean the fans spinning at high speeds or the car moving at high speeds..

If you mean the car then the fans will have no effect while moving.. It might help just to kill heat at idle..

Put it this way.. If the air going through your intercooler at idle is 130 degrees.. If this fan idea works and works good then the air temp would be like 110 degrees at idle.. When you take off your starting will air that is 20 degrees cooler thus netting more power from it.. If you drive for 10 minutes lets say then the fans wont do anything and the temps will be the same with or without them since the air moving through the intercooler is more than what the fans can move and its over a larger area.. I would guess it would just be better for when your sitting in the stageing lanes idleing waiting to get to the line(no air movement)..

Im just guessing at the temp here btw..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Small temperature changes like that do not add much power. However large temperature changes, such as 100 degrees change can add 40HP, depending on the engines volumetric efficiency.

My opinion: adding a fan is not worth the money.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MachAF)

If it's a front mount, then it's probably not worth it. I've heard of people using it on sidemounts tho ... I could be mistaken.