Notices

***** Going turbo on D series****

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***** Going turbo on D series****

I have decided to boost my d series. What Type of head work should i go with?? Cam, springs, valves?? And how about the bottom end?? And how could i make the transmission better?? Need some suggestions.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: ***** Going turbo on D series**** (ThePest)

Honestly it all depends on your power goals.

I'm assuming you just want a mild build. Boosting about 10-15 pounds. With that said, this is what I personaly would do to the block/head.

Bottom end- Pistons (rings), rods, bearings, and have the crank micropolished and balanced (it will be easy since you have the bottom end taken apart already).

Head- Vavles, valve springs, retianers, turbo cam, a aftermarket intake manifold.

As far as the tranny is concerned. Honda manual trannies are actually really good. As long as you take care of it and don't beat the living **** out of it, you should be fine. The only thing I can think of as far as "building" it would to have the gears(internals) cryogenically frozen. This increases the life of the gears by nearly 10x there normal life.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ***** Going turbo on D series**** (SOHC4life 96)

Thanks man. I am lookin to hit at least some 13's, but the is mostly for autocross. What type of cam, valves, springs, retainers, pistons/rings, ect. is good for turbo? Cuz all i realy know is for NA set up. what brand have a good rep and are a good buy??
Old 01-23-2006, 11:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, don't think of your goals in seconds. Think horsepower. Try and figure a goal in horsepower, if that doesn't get you good times in the quarter mile then up the power. As far as parts, I'm not to sure. I've only looked into fully built products. CP pistons, Cunningham Rods....etc. That's what I was going to use on my fully built D series.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ***** Going turbo on D series**** (SOHC4life 96)

ok. i get ya. thanks
Old 01-24-2006, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've just swapped out to a d16 and I've been doing a lot of reading lately about it.. There are a lot of articles/write-ups about boosting a d-series... I know Banzai Mag has a 240bhp D16Z on boost... I think with a jag turbo... w/ NSX caliper brake set-up... But anyways, good luck and tell us how it goes... Lates...
Old 01-24-2006, 02:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ThePest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks man. I am lookin to hit at least some 13's, but the is mostly for autocross.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You sure you want to join that class? I hope you have or intend on buying a nice set of racing tires.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ***** Going turbo on D series**** (JimmyAtlantis)

0nce you figure out your power goals then you can worry about what needs to be done. My goals were 200 whp on a d16y7 with mini me swap and a z6 tranny. I made sure that the fuel was setup properly and it was tuned and didnt build it for my power goals. yours may be different.

autocrossing will be diff with a boosted d series and a lotta power, so be prepared to have lag, cause our stock limiters wont always be able to keep the snail on the boil.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:21 AM

Default Re: ***** Going turbo on D series**** (1dumbassscreenname)

for two hundred horsepower you shouldnt need to replace much to make it work
i was building a cheap setup for about 13's for around 250 hp
and i was using a homemade turbo kit and suzuki vitara pistons and ls rods
should work for about 13's
but i think you should start reading up on stuff to see what the best for you is
as said earlier
Old 01-24-2006, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ***** Going turbo on D series**** (egcivic)

I ran a 13.8 on a boosted stock y7. I don't care about building it. If it craps out on me I'll just buy another and boost it until it dies.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ***** Going turbo on D series**** (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I ran a 13.8 on a boosted stock y7. I don't care about building it. If it craps out on me I'll just buy another and boost it until it dies. </TD></TR></TABLE>
word u can get y7's for like 50 bux
Old 01-24-2006, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ***** Going turbo on D series**** (Ninefivejiggaja)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ninefivejiggaja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
word u can get y7's for like 50 bux</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's all about bang for the buck for me any more. I could afford to build a nice y7 or y8 and spend a couple grand on it, but honestly, I don't care to. I've been running 9 lbs day in and day out on this y7 for 2 and a half years now with minimal problems. I think I'm right about 150k on the motor now. If it goes, it goes and I'll slap another lower mileage one in and call it a day.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:44 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Well for 13's i think you can do it with less than the mods you posted in your first post..
Basically a Stock motor can do 13's

Stock pistons and rods will hold 200-210whp which should be enough to run 13's

I would only invest in a good fuel setup and tuning options.

If it was my car i would do Fuel pump,Adjustable FPR, DSM injectors and Crome + the turbo oviously...That should be enough to make it into 13's and make it a fun car.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (fjt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fjt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well for 13's i think you can do it with less than the mods you posted in your first post..
Basically a Stock motor can do 13's

Stock pistons and rods will hold 200-210whp which should be enough to run 13's

I would only invest in a good fuel setup and tuning options.

If it was my car i would do Fuel pump,Adjustable FPR, DSM injectors and Crome + the turbo oviously...That should be enough to make it into 13's and make it a fun car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

200whp in an EG hatch will get you 12's, screw 13's.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

tight. thanks a bunch. I already have rc440cc injectors for ti they cam on the car when i bought it but i have to go have them rebuilt which is cheap. ok so the big question is what turbo?? i was thinking a garrett t3/t4??
Old 01-24-2006, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ***** Going turbo on D series**** (Ricey McRicerton)

just have fun with it and remember that anything boosted has many expenses and problems that you WILL run into so be prepared.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:23 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ThePest)

First set your power goals..then choose a turbo and the other components needed to reach that goal..

T3/t4 will be overkill if you want just 200-250whp and will also spool higher.T3/t4 are good for 350-400whp.. There are other Smaller turbos(and cheaper) that will be good for your goals.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ThePest)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ThePest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tight. thanks a bunch. I already have rc440cc injectors for ti they cam on the car when i bought it but i have to go have them rebuilt which is cheap. ok so the big question is what turbo?? i was thinking a garrett t3/t4??</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's a good write-up in Sport Compact Car that tells you how the different turbos spool. I suggest picking up the current copy for some good info.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JimmyAtlantis)

ya i want some thing with a quick spool for street. Someone told me the obx turbo kit is a ok kit for cheap.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: ***** Going turbo on D series**** (1dumbassscreenname)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1dumbassscreenname &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just have fun with it and remember that anything boosted has many expenses and problems that you WILL run into so be prepared.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldnt go that far. More like boosting something that was never meant for boost (Honda) WILL have problems.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey pest i like taco.

(freee bump for you buddy)
Old 01-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ***** Going turbo on D series**** (-Gambit-)

Also keep in mind, if you are going into auto crossing seriously, turbo may not be the way you want to go. I don't know how serious you are about it, but it would dump you into a way different class. Also, your power curve is drasticlaly different.

I have a boosted d, t3/t4, stock motor, planning on more this winter. HOwever i ran a 13.003, so you got that covered no problem. So, honestly you have to figure out what you want.

For autocross, your gonna want quick spooling, a t3/t4 will likely be too big for that. Your gonna need to do some research, figure out what cam's do what to your power band and so fourth.

Good luck though..... if you do go boost, i promise you'll love it
Old 01-24-2006, 06:51 PM

Default Re: ***** Going turbo on D series**** (coneheadsracing)

dont get a t3/t4 if u onli want 13's
http://www.homemadeturbo.com
read there it will tell you all u need for a budget turbo (the sport compact car writeup)
i was doing that setup and using a t25 turbo off either a nissan sr20det or the mitsubishi 4g63 off the older eclipses
Old 01-24-2006, 07:14 PM

Default Re: ***** Going turbo on D series**** (egcivic)

im running a boosted D right now using a t3/t4 57trim 48ar. i love the response of the turbo it would hit full boost at around 4500rpm.it should be great for drag and for sure would make low13's on a stock motor. but for auo cross it would be crap
Old 01-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ***** Going turbo on D series**** (turboeg77)

ya i saw the t25. that is smaller right?? So it seems ppl dont rec. turbo for autocross, right? I mean i could always go Bseries for autocross only or what about a no turbo d series they arent that good for NA? I mean they are small eng but so all are honds compared to domestic.

Quick Reply: ***** Going turbo on D series****