Notices

*******Ignitor Question********

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 07:04 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *******Ignitor Question********

I am not sure as to the effect of the ignitor on the ignition system as well as to how does the MSD replace the ignitor. Can someone please comment on this a bit more. Also what MSD setup would be required to get rid of the ignitor???
Thanks for all the help,

Rafal

Old 04-10-2003, 04:28 AM
Trial User

Default Re: *******Ignitor Question******** (Screamer)

ttt
Old 04-10-2003, 08:18 AM

MSD 6AL (or others) does NOT get rid of the ignitor. The ignitor is the little box inside the distibutor (not the coil) that actually "fires" off the coil.

To replace the ignitor, you'd need a manetic pickup on the crank with coil packs or something similar. (Electromotive setup) This would render the dist useless.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:55 AM
Trial User

Default Re: *******Ignitor Question******** (hybridsol)

As per this thread that I have started before it seems that there is a bit of confusion in regards to the ignitor.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=464869

hybridsol - that is exactly what I thought, but as per my earlier post that does not seem to be what others are saing, that is why I wanted to get a better explanation. If you read down toward the end of the post you will find some guy saying that you can get rid of the ignitor by attaching the yellow/green wire to MSD white wire. This is news to me so I wanted to confirm this. As well as find out which particular MSD setup would allow for this.

Can anyone straighten this up???

Thanks
Old 04-10-2003, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Screamer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As per this thread that I have started before it seems that there is a bit of confusion in regards to the ignitor.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=464869

hybridsol - that is exactly what I thought, but as per my earlier post that does not seem to be what others are saing, that is why I wanted to get a better explanation. If you read down toward the end of the post you will find some guy saying that you can get rid of the ignitor by attaching the yellow/green wire to MSD white wire. This is news to me so I wanted to confirm this. As well as find out which particular MSD setup would allow for this.

Can anyone straighten this up???

Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

That was me and Im not sure if it works on cars still running the stock ecu. Im using ems and it works for that, but honestly i dont see why you cant do it with the stock ecu.
Im using an MSD6A and Blaster SS coil by the way.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *******Ignitor Question******** (93LSivic)

So your MSD tach output goes to a blue wire on the dist, and the (MSD) white wire goes to a yellow/black? Wiring can be done outside of cap? That's it? Ignitor can be removed completely? Any changes to EMS?
Old 04-10-2003, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *******Ignitor Question******** (nolimits)

If this works, I just saved myself $300 bucks!
Anyone else using this MSD non ignitor setup?
Old 04-10-2003, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nolimits &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So your MSD tach output goes to a blue wire on the dist, and the (MSD) white wire goes to a yellow/black? Wiring can be done outside of cap? That's it? Ignitor can be removed completely? Any changes to EMS?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are wrong. The ecu signal to the ICM (ignitor) is white/green, that goes to the white wire of MSD. The black/yellow is switched 12V and that goes to the red MSD wire. The MSD black and orange obviously go to the coil.
Your right about the tach, thats the blue. All wiring can take place outside of the distributor. Take the ICM and stock coil and toss them in the trash!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If this works, I just saved myself $300 bucks! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually I just saved you $300. You can PM me on where to send half that money
Old 04-11-2003, 10:04 AM
Trial User

Just to confirm this will work without the EMS that you have??? Meaning we can do this on a stock ECU and eveything should be fine right???

Would you have a diagram or a picture to discribe what you did, I am still a little confused. Sorry for my .

Thanks
Old 04-14-2003, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hooked up the MSD white and red wires, everything works perfectly. Why would I need the MSD tach output?? I have a blue wire on the distributer side and the harness side....but they are in different locations in the harnesses (they don't connect into each other when the harness is plugged in). Which side did you take your blue wire from. (if I even need it)
Old 04-14-2003, 05:02 PM

Good thread I always wondered how to get rid of that pesky distributor.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:53 PM

The coil is whats going to have the biggest affect on the ability of your ign system to produce a adequate spark. The ignitor is really just a relay, which allows power to pass to the coil once it gets a low voltage signal from the ECU.

The ignitor does not have any effect on the "power" of the spark, thats the coils job.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *******Ignitor Question******** (rioninja)

But when the igniter fails, it can be costly ($100+). Eliminating it would get rid of a weak link IMO. And there's all that weight you lose!!
Old 04-14-2003, 08:27 PM

Default Re: *******Ignitor Question******** (AVATAR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AVATAR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good thread I always wondered how to get rid of that pesky distributor. </TD></TR></TABLE>

There are other sensors in the dist... CYP, CKF, and TDC. They basically tell the ECU where the crank is, it's speed, and the cylinder position at startup.

You can't just toss the dist just because you replace the ignitor (maybe on PR0 ECU?)

Yes the ignitor is just a switch, and they do occasionally go bad. the cost ~$173.68 from http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/

Bypassing this is a good idea, I guess...

I have a Crane HI6 in my car, still use the white/red(to black/yel) wires to fire the multi-spark from the ignitor. I also have the external coil. It's just wierd to hook the ECU directly to the box...
Old 04-15-2003, 04:38 AM
Trial User

Default Re: *******Ignitor Question******** (hybridsol)

Thanks for the great relpies.

Just to let you guys know my original problem was the fact that within a period of 1 year running on the MSD digital 6 with coil blaster 2 I went through 6 ignitors. This is also the reason why I got rid of the complete MSD setup and ever sice I had no problems. I do understand that the ignitor is only a switch, but even a switch has a certain ablility to flow current and obviously too much current (MSD) would burn it out. I am not sure if I am correct in assuming this, but this is what I came down to as an explanation to my problems. If someone can correct me or add extra as why this would be the case, it would be great.

Thanks,

Rafal