Notices

"Stealth Turbo Setup" ideas and tatics...??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 10:30 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Stealth Turbo Setup" ideas and tatics...??

I think I have decided that "sleeper" style is the way I want to go with my turbo setup. Especially since the car will be as close looking to stock as possible...

Here are some of the ideas I came up with to minimize the sounds of a good turbo system to keep it as stealth as possible... I know that there is no way to hide all the sounds, but keeping it quiet and less noticible is nice...

1. Flat black intercooler and piping (heatcoated)
2. By-pass valve instead of BOV
3. Turbo Wrap on the turbo housing in order to disguise the sizing of it... (slightly)
4. Stock airbox will be mounted and the filter for the turbo will be inside of it... (this will not hinder flow to much and will cut the intake sound alot...
5. 3" downpipe straight out the back, mandrel bent... (nothing can be done here...)
6. Wategate pipe will be blended into the downpipe.

This is a serious project, with some heavy numbers as goals... so please, serious posts only...
Old 05-08-2002, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Stealth Turbo Setup" ideas and tatics...?? (GSR_Hacker)

looks like you pretty much covered all aspects of it. since no one can see your engine bay unless you pop the hood, only the intercooler, exhaust, wastegate and bov sounds are indications of your car with turbo. oh yeah if you want you could get a dynomax 3" in/out muffler and it'll look totally sleeper since it looks stock except with a slightly larger tip
Old 05-08-2002, 10:35 AM

4. Stock airbox will be mounted and the filter for the turbo will be inside of it... (this will not hinder flow to much and will cut the intake sound alot...
i dont get how you will be doing that... there will be a piping coming from under your car into your throttle body and the pipe with the filter will be stuck to the turbo... cant really conceal the one w/ a turbo.

just dont ever pop your hood... look sleeper on the outside.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:42 AM
New User

Default Re: "Stealth Turbo Setup" ideas and tatics...?? (sushibug)

Actually, I can do it quite easily... All of my IC piping will be custom and I will dremmel the stock airbox to accomodate for it... I will also dremmel the side of it and have a pipe run from inside of it to the turbo. Basically the stock airbox will just be a basic "plastic" cover which will help with some of the resonation that takes place from the air moving so fast into the filter before going into the turbo...
Old 05-08-2002, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Flat black intercooler and piping (heatcoated)
Why not go with a air-liquid intercooler set-up, all you see is the fluid cooler from the outside.
2. By-pass valve instead of BOV
Which by-pass valve where you planning to use?
3. Turbo Wrap on the turbo housing in order to disguise the sizing of it... (slightly)
I always had bad luck wrapping exhaust headers (my old V8 days) and personally would not wrap a turbine housing. But to each his own. I'd jet-hot coat it black.
Good idea, when you get it mounted take some photos. I'm interested in how it will turn out.
5. 3" downpipe straight out the back, mandrel bent... (nothing can be done here...)
6. Wategate pipe will be blended into the downpipe.
Absolutly a good idea.

This may be a dumb idea but, what about looking into some sound deadening material to minimize the sound? I take apart Euro diesel engines in BMW's and M-Benz's and they all use alot of insulation to help decrease the noise from the turbochargers and injection systems. Hey, it might be an idea???
Old 05-08-2002, 10:47 AM

heh... i think the sounds of the turbo spooling and all that air being pushed through the intake piping will be really hard to cover up and not worthwhile. theres no way to conceal it 100%. just make your car look stock as possible... thats just my opinion.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:52 AM

Default Re: "Stealth Turbo Setup" ideas and tatics...?? (sushibug)

Yea but they said the same thing about covering up the noise associated with direct injected diesel engines a few years back. Now almost every Euro diesel engine in a passenger car is almost as quiet as a gasoline car.

Anything is possible....especially if you are BMW or M-Benz. Designing engines with a "blank check" must be nice.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:20 AM

Default Re: "Stealth Turbo Setup" ideas and tatics...?? (SLPR)

i dunno, if i were turbo... oh wait... i am... heh... i would make my engine bay look badazz. the more clean it is, the more props you get. after you beat some foo down pop your hood and watch his facial expression.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea but they said the same thing about covering up the noise associated with direct injected diesel engines a few years back. Now almost every Euro diesel engine in a passenger car is almost as quiet as a gasoline car.

Anything is possible....especially if you are BMW or M-Benz. Designing engines with a "blank check" must be nice.
Funny, I always thought brains solved that problem...
Old 05-08-2002, 11:36 AM

Default Re: "Stealth Turbo Setup" ideas and tatics...?? (X2BOARD)

Funny, I always thought brains solved that problem...
Yea, brains (engineers) do but only if purchasing (the check) allows them to. I'm sure any design engineer knows this too well.

Sorry to get off topic GSR_Hacker, good luck with your stealth project if that is what you want to do.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:56 AM
New User

no prob...

I'll post pics in around 60 - 90 days hopefully...!!
Old 05-08-2002, 12:11 PM
New User

routing the BOV back into the intake will help solve that noise, also, choose one that's not loud to begin with. A bypass valve won't work very well for you, I'll explain later.

A turbo does not really have that loud of a intake noise, so honestly I think that's a waste.

Remember that using a closed loop w/g system also sacrifices power.

Everything else sounds good man.
Old 05-08-2002, 12:57 PM
Trial User

leave the stock springs on the car, tint the intercooler with a light touch of black stove paint... remove clear corners and hide all the gagues except a huge tach on the apillar..

tach entices them into thinking your just like every other riceboy, your exhaust is kinda hard to hide... and all thats left is the smackdown....
Old 05-08-2002, 12:58 PM

Default Re: "Stealth Turbo Setup" ideas and tatics...?? (VaporTrail)

Hehe, trying to make your money back through street racing? Good ideas so far, and throw in a couple of resonators inline with the exhaust...