Notices

The "CORRECT" LS/VTEC Headgasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The "CORRECT" LS/VTEC Headgasket

I've always been under the impression that LS/VTEC setups use LS headgaskets. When the car first dynoed, we made 540hp on the LS headgasket with the B16 head. The car ran perfect for about 5000 miles. Then, all of the sudden, the OEM headgasket gives up the ghost. Replaced it with a cometic LS headgasket, no bueno...car starts puking coolant in the the overflow (gasket is leaking).

Tore the car apart for the third time...talked to Tom @camp and he said that LS/VTEC motors should use the P30 headgasket (B16A). He said this is per goldeneagle.

Anybody care to confirm?
Old 03-13-2005, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The "CORRECT" LS/VTEC Headgasket (rondigs)

Uhm, No...
Old 03-13-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Re: The "CORRECT" LS/VTEC Headgasket (Suprdave)

so when using a golden eagle ls/vtec kit, you get a ls cometic headgasket?
Old 03-13-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: The "CORRECT" LS/VTEC Headgasket (boost fed ls)

Negative. Golden eagle uses OEM Honda headgaskets. Cometic is an entirely different company.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: The "CORRECT" LS/VTEC Headgasket (Suprdave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Suprdave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Uhm, No...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Doesn't seem right does it. Anyone care to enlighten....
Old 03-13-2005, 05:40 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rondigs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Negative. Golden eagle uses OEM Honda headgaskets. Cometic is an entirely different company. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I realize that golden eagle uses oem headgaskets and cometic is diff. company. What I am saying is, I bought a head that had the golden eagle dowl pins in it. I went out a bought a cometic head gasket for a b18b1. I was checking to make sure I bought the right one.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cometic actually makes a head gasket for ls/vtec...that should be a better fit than a ls or b16 one...
Old 03-13-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: The "CORRECT" LS/VTEC Headgasket (Jockobo)

whats the diff. between the cometic ls/vtec and ls headgasket?
Old 03-13-2005, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dunno...i juss trashed whatever was in the motor slapped the new one on and called it a day...didn't bother making comparisions...
Old 03-13-2005, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The "CORRECT" LS/VTEC Headgasket (Jockobo)

my old cometic headgasket was for ls and ls/vtec.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boost fed ls &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I realize that golden eagle uses oem headgaskets and cometic is diff. company. What I am saying is, I bought a head that had the golden eagle dowl pins in it. I went out a bought a cometic head gasket for a b18b1. I was checking to make sure I bought the right one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

When you got the b18b1 head gasket did you modify it accordingly? ... the GE headgaskets are oem headgaskets that have been modified to fit an ls/vtec set up.
(I just went to c-speedracing.com to get this)

"Here is a picture of the headgasket. The bottom left and bottom right hand corners are where the dowel pins go if you decided to use the second method. As you can see, the holes on the headgasket don't need to be modified. In some applications, the two brass rings labeled 'REMOVE' on a headgasket need to be removed, otherwise the head will sit on top of those and will not seal. Be absolutely sure you remove the two on the intake side only." - c-speedracing.com

Modified by vtec'n at 3:36 AM 3/14/2005
Old 03-13-2005, 06:49 PM

Default Re: The "CORRECT" LS/VTEC Headgasket (vtec'n)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec’n &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

When you got the b18b1 head gasket did you modify it accordingly? ... the GE headgaskets are oem headgaskets that have been modified to fit an ls/vtec set up.

"Here is a picture of the headgasket. The bottom left and bottom right hand corners are where the dowel pins go if you decided to use the second method. As you can see, the holes on the headgasket don't need to be modified. In some applications, the two brass rings labeled 'REMOVE' on a headgasket need to be removed, otherwise the head will sit on top of those and will not seal. Be absolutely sure you remove the two on the intake side only." - c-speedracing.com

Modified by vtec'n at 3:36 AM 3/14/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, the GE headgasket I originally used was machined to work accordingly (also used the full-race dowels). However, the gasket Tom said to use doesn't even seem close to fitting correctly. Just wanted to get some opinions. I don't see how the P30 gasket will work...
Old 03-13-2005, 08:31 PM

bump
Old 03-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The "CORRECT" LS/VTEC Headgasket (tRaCeBuStAbUsTeR)

Neither ones going to match,p30 is going to match the head,ls is going to match the block either way it's never going to match both so try oversized head studs for more sealing pressure.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:13 PM
TRC

Default Re: The "CORRECT" LS/VTEC Headgasket (dragline)

i havent had a problem using the oem LS head gasket. its been over a year now and no problems
Old 03-13-2005, 09:23 PM

Default Re: The "CORRECT" LS/VTEC Headgasket (TRC)

I sell a gasket specifically designed for LS/VTEC combos made by cometic.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The "CORRECT" LS/VTEC Headgasket (civicross)

We've always used OEM Head Gaskets for all our motors. Nothing else. Use LS for the LS-vtec applications.

There's been plenty of bad issues with the Cometic in the past and the OEM is just more reliable.
and these are recommendations are from EXPERIENCE. We just dont look at an application in a catalog and recommend whats in there.

Why do you think Exospeed and Golden Eagle use it? We've seen what works.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The "CORRECT" LS/VTEC Headgasket (exospeedAMcrx)

ive always used oem LS gaskets or else cometic LS vtec gaskets
Old 03-13-2005, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The "CORRECT" LS/VTEC Headgasket (exospeedAMcrx)

I was planning to use an OEM LS HG but I don't plan to modify it. The C-Speed how-to gives a second method of moving the dowel pins to fit the LS HG without modification .... as shown here

http://www.c-speedracing.com/h...c.php

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by www.c-speedracing.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The second method to relocate the dowel pins is simpler. On the intake side of the head there are two locations on the left and right that are good for putting the dowel pins. All that is required using this method is that you resize the holes to fit the dowel pins. The LS headgasket already has the correctly sized holes, therefore there is no need to modify the headgasket.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is there any reason not to just do it that way?
Old 03-14-2005, 09:22 AM

Default Re: The "CORRECT" LS/VTEC Headgasket (jfoster)

Just got off the phone with GE. They say to use the P30 (B16A) gasket...

Modified by rondigs at 12:41 PM 3/14/2005
Old 03-14-2005, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i am not sure how the b16a gasket will work it has to be ls is the correct gasket on the cometic did you get the mls gasket of the fire ring hp gasket
Old 03-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rondigs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just got off the phone with GE. They say to use the P30 (B16A) gasket...</TD></TR></TABLE>

same thing as a b18c1 , or b18c5 one , in that pic of c speed ., that gasket is facing the wrong way , i used a b18c1 gasket on mine , wich is a p30 , worked fine , along with the ge dowels,
Old 03-14-2005, 09:37 AM

Default Re: The "CORRECT" LS/VTEC Headgasket (b18bturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18bturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i am not sure how the b16a gasket will work it has to be ls is the correct gasket on the cometic did you get the mls gasket of the fire ring hp gasket </TD></TR></TABLE>

I got the MLS gasket. I was advised to stay away from the fire ring gasket.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Re: The "CORRECT" LS/VTEC Headgasket (vtec'n)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec’n &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Modified by vtec'n at 3:36 AM 3/14/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

that pic is wrong the head gasket is 180 degrees off. on the exhaust side in the pic the oval shape is for the oil control orfice...u need to make sure ur hg says up and the up is on the intake side so it says it upside down...i did it like the pic says n oil came out...BTW use a LS head gasket but when using an oem one u need to enlarge the dowel pin holes for the GE dowel pins.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The "CORRECT" LS/VTEC Headgasket (civicflnum1)

I moved my dowel pins instead of using a kit. Been using an oem LS gasket with 0 problems for 1 year.

Quick Reply: The "CORRECT" LS/VTEC Headgasket