Notices

"BACKDOOR" ?? with big PT intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "BACKDOOR" ?? with big PT intercooler?

has anyone modified their "big" (750hp model)precision intercooler to accept a "backdoor" style inlet on it? i was wondering because i know the intercooler is huge and was wondering how it fit on the car, etc. im trying to get rid of some of this intercooler piping.

thanks
dave

Old 11-27-2004, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that piping looks HUGE..
Old 11-27-2004, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lanojp1)

3 inch
Old 11-27-2004, 10:03 AM

Default Re: (Dturbocivic)

Don't worry about it. Trying to weld a flange onto cast end tanks is just going to be a headache. We went from an air-to-air intercooler setup to an air-to-water intercooler mounted behind the passenger seat in a friends car, and there was no discernable difference in spool time. That's adding a good 6 or 7 feet of additional piping to the system. People do the "backdoor" thing mostly for convenience (It probably doesn't flow as good, look how it comes into the IC, then just smashes into the other side of the end tank instead of using it's momentum to push through the core) so if you already have a good side-to-side setup going, I say stick with it.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b16coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't worry about it. Trying to weld a flange onto cast end tanks is just going to be a headache. We went from an air-to-air intercooler setup to an air-to-water intercooler mounted behind the passenger seat in a friends car, and there was no discernable difference in spool time. That's adding a good 6 or 7 feet of additional piping to the system. People do the "backdoor" thing mostly for convenience (It probably doesn't flow as good, look how it comes into the IC, then just smashes into the other side of the end tank instead of using it's momentum to push through the core) so if you already have a good side-to-side setup going, I say stick with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ive already welded v bands onto my intercooler. and if i go through with this(most likely will) im going to cut off my end tank. and fab up a sheetmetal end tank.

i doubt the flow will be hurt much at all because you are going from pipe to a tank... think about how the mississippi flows into the gulf.

this is part of the reason i want to change my setup, i dont like how it gets smaller going into and coming out of the intercooler
Old 11-27-2004, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dturbocivic)

i think you are going about it the right way in cutting off the end tank and fabbing your own, i would just cut it off so there is still some of the old weld so you have some good thickness to weld to, i think it will work out pritty well