Notices

this "?" is about fuel systems, i`m listing my setup. what do you think is best ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this "?" is about fuel systems, i`m listing my setup. what do you think is best ??

TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK !!!!!!!!
i`m looking for fuel/control-management...

looking to stay within my meager student budget.

running=

-b18c1-rebuilt stock specs..better parts..
-3mm cometic headgasket; 8.5:1 compression ratio
-blox intake manifold
-missing link
-12:1 vortech fmu
-no-name fpr----don`t know if i`m gonna use this one
-garrett T3 .60/T4 .50 (.57trim i`ve been told)
-custom exhaust mani-equal length
-Delta 38mm; 5lb. spring (currently) i was told the turvo will perform better with the 5lb spring but i`ll probaly get something with a little less relief 7-14lb. (MAX.)
-greddy 6row FMIC
-highflow CAT, custom exhaust

with my 1996 rx-7 i ran a haltech ek6.. i don`t want to spend that much... what are you guys using ? feel free to post any input.. i just want to hear some learned knowledge and expertise... and maybe you`ve seen something on the market that i haven`t..

i was looking at
-V or S-afc
-greddy emanage
-hks afr
Old 07-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: this "?" is about fuel systems, i`m listing my setup. what do you think is best ?? (blacktegmd)

i was running uberdata while i was NA, now i will be using the aem ems on my new build
Old 07-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: this "?" is about fuel systems, i`m listing my setup. what do you think is best ?? (blacktegmd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blacktegmd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i was looking at
-V or S-afc
-greddy emanage
-hks afr</TD></TR></TABLE>

Look at something else...sell the Vortech FMU and take out the missing link. Do you have an OBD 1 ECU or OBD 2? Here is what I would suggest:

$89-$99 = Walbro 255 lph fuel pump
$40-$80 used DSM 450's or $289 RC injectors (440cc,550cc) or $339 RC injectors (650cc, 750cc)
$15 = ECU chipping/socketing supplies: moates.net "UBER 1" kit
$25-$75 = ECU socketing: moates.net does installation services as well as others on the net
$10-$45 = datalogging cable: Nokia or most cell phone cables, superdroids cable, moates.net Hulog

That right there is the minimum amount of work you need to do to make your car ready for Crome, Uberdata and I think Neptune too. Somebody can make you a basemap on a chip which you plug into your modified ECU. Then with that basemap you can drive the car (but dont boost it) to your nearest tuner and have it dyno tuned.

If you know how to do your own tuning here is some other stuff you can buy. Not all of it is necessary, and you can probably borrow it from people who are local to you. All you have to do is download your own copy of CromeFREE or Uberdata, both of which are free.

$$$ - laptop
$55-$85 = EPROM burner: ebay.com "Willem Enhanced" or moates.net "BURN 1"
$300-$330 - wideband setup: either a Innovate LM1 or PLX300 (DO NOT get a Zeitronix Zt-2).
$175 = Ostrich emulator: allows for real time tuning
$149 = Crome users upgrade from CromeFREE to CromePRO
Old 07-09-2005, 08:16 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Default Re: this "?" is about fuel systems, i`m listing my setup. what do you think is best ?? (BlueShadow)

i've got a p06 thats been converted to a p28 and is hondata/uberdata/crome ready
Old 07-09-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Re: this "?" is about fuel systems, i`m listing my setup. what do you think is best ?? (BlueShadow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Look at something else...sell the Vortech FMU and take out the missing link. Do you have an OBD 1 ECU or OBD 2? Here is what I would suggest:

$89-$99 = Walbro 255 lph fuel pump
$40-$80 used DSM 450's or $289 RC injectors (440cc,550cc) or $339 RC injectors (650cc, 750cc)
$15 = ECU chipping/socketing supplies: moates.net "UBER 1" kit
$25-$75 = ECU socketing: moates.net does installation services as well as others on the net
$10-$45 = datalogging cable: Nokia or most cell phone cables, superdroids cable, moates.net Hulog

That right there is the minimum amount of work you need to do to make your car ready for Crome, Uberdata and I think Neptune too. Somebody can make you a basemap on a chip which you plug into your modified ECU. Then with that basemap you can drive the car (but dont boost it) to your nearest tuner and have it dyno tuned.

If you know how to do your own tuning here is some other stuff you can buy. Not all of it is necessary, and you can probably borrow it from people who are local to you. All you have to do is download your own copy of CromeFREE or Uberdata, both of which are free.

$$$ - laptop
$55-$85 = EPROM burner: ebay.com "Willem Enhanced" or moates.net "BURN 1"
$300-$330 - wideband setup: either a Innovate LM1 or PLX300 (DO NOT get a Zeitronix Zt-2).
$175 = Ostrich emulator: allows for real time tuning
$149 = Crome users upgrade from CromeFREE to CromePRO </TD></TR></TABLE>

i appreciate your post...

my car will be running next week so i need something alittle more readily available.. and the car is a 1996 obdIIa and i prefer not to use a p28...
Old 07-09-2005, 08:46 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

why dont you want to use a p28? you dont have the secondary butterflies so the p72 is pointless.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blacktegmd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i appreciate your post...

my car will be running next week so i need something alittle more readily available.. and the car is a 1996 obdIIa and i prefer not to use a p28...</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you run an AFC hack then you're just asking for trouble. You can run the car on the FMU until you are ready to install all the stuff. One day of street tuning with somebody who has a wideband and you'll be set.

And like wantboost said, there is nothing wrong with a chipped P28. That's what I've been using to run my B18C for a long time. All you have to do is program your chip with a B18C program and plug it into your socketed P28 and it will run like stock. The only problem is if your motor and current ECU are both OBD 2, then you'll need to buy a OBD 1 ECU $100-$120 and an OBD 2 to OBD 1 conversion harness $90-$120.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:06 PM

well that is some of my dilema have a obdIIa, i`m actually looking at a tec 3 right now... as much as i don`t want to spend the money on a stand alone its always been the best... might as well do away with all obds`....
Old 07-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Default Re: (blacktegmd)

and obd2 conversion harness is like 75 bucks.

just get the aem ems. its pretty user firendly, and a lot of shops can tune it now
Old 07-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wantboost)

I'm confused now, first the guy wants a budget setup then here he is looking at a TEC 3?

Crome, Uberdata and Neptune is the closest you can get to a standalone without paying the same price as a standalone.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:57 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and obd2 conversion harness is like 75 bucks.

just get the aem ems. its pretty user firendly, and a lot of shops can tune it now</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah.. i know.. i tune all of my own cars, just most of the cars that i`ve sunk BIG money into haven`t been hondas`. tuning is not a problem. its what i`ll be using to do it that i can`t decide on... i like using p72`s for gs-rs` and p28s` for d-series honda made them that way for a reason.. <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you run an AFC hack then you're just asking for trouble. You can run the car on the FMU until you are ready to install all the stuff. One day of street tuning with somebody who has a wideband and you'll be set.

And like wantboost said, there is nothing wrong with a chipped P28. That's what I've been using to run my B18C for a long time. All you have to do is program your chip with a B18C program and plug it into your socketed P28 and it will run like stock. The only problem is if your motor and current ECU are both OBD 2, then you'll need to buy a OBD 1 ECU $100-$120 and an OBD 2 to OBD 1 conversion harness $90-$120.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is correct but, with me having a obdIIa getting a socketed p28 setup it will cost as much as a stand alone system. And keep in mind i will be tuning it so they will cost about the same... BlueShadow your think along the same lines as i`am as far as tuning but i`m straying away from the p28s` its just a personal preference unless i can be convinced otherwise..
Old 07-09-2005, 10:02 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

ok, first off.

the only reason the p72 is used on a gsr is because the p72 has the board to control the secondary butterflies in the stock gsr intake manifold... which you arent using. the p72 is basically a p28 with butterfly control.

second off.

a chipped p28 will run you 145 from a buddy of mine. a conversion harness 75. burner 50. wideband, 300 max.
thats 570 bucks.

im getting my aem from a buddy for 800. the tec3 is 1500 the last time p riced one out for a honda. motec is around 2500, so i dont know who you are getting pricing or your info from
Old 07-09-2005, 10:05 PM

Default Re: (BlueShadow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm confused now, first the guy wants a budget setup then here he is looking at a TEC 3?

Crome, Uberdata and Neptune is the closest you can get to a standalone without paying the same price as a standalone.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah.. as much as i look at the things you`ve listed i think i should just go all out... but thats why i`m asking for anyone and everyones input...
Old 07-09-2005, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no way it cost the same. even if you had to pay 200 for an obd1 p72, it would cost you like 100 for zif and datalogging with the cable at most, plus ubberdata (free) or cromepro which is 150, plus 100 for a harness thats $550 dollars. thats way cheaper then anything else thats out there and you can get it way way cheaper then the prices i listed. if you think they made them that way for a reason, you might as well keep it stock because they "made it that way for a reason" right?
Old 07-09-2005, 10:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, first off.

the only reason the p72 is used on a gsr is because the p72 has the board to control the secondary butterflies in the stock gsr intake manifold... which you arent using. the p72 is basically a p28 with butterfly control.

second off.

a chipped p28 will run you 145 from a buddy of mine. a conversion harness 75. burner 50. wideband, 300 max.
thats 570 bucks.

im getting my aem from a buddy for 800. the tec3 is 1500 the last time p riced one out for a honda. motec is around 2500, so i dont know who you are getting pricing or your info from
</TD></TR></TABLE>

well your paying too much...

i just sold a 0bdIIa p72 for $140 and a p28 for $100 yesterday and i have like 3 more p 72s`

tec3 is about $900 and i haven`t looked into the motec, haltek ek6 is about $1136 and a DOS/ or windows laptop is about $250 for any of the setups

i rather not pay that much but it looks like i`ll spend that much anyway from what you guys are saying..
Old 07-09-2005, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well since you need a wideband and laptop for any of them, it essential cancels itself out, your looking at 400 to 500 vs 900-1000.. not the same?i bought everything i needed for 550 which included a converted p06 with datalogging cable and zif, emulator,cromepro,chip burner.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:18 PM

"NepTune" the bug free system......And dont forget the "Ostrich" real time tuning....Nuf said.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Re: (milb16a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by milb16a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no way it cost the same. even if you had to pay 200 for an obd1 p72, it would cost you like 100 for zif and datalogging with the cable at most, plus ubberdata (free) or cromepro which is 150, plus 100 for a harness thats $550 dollars. thats way cheaper then anything else thats out there and you can get it way way cheaper then the prices i listed. if you think they made them that way for a reason, you might as well keep it stock because they "made it that way for a reason" right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

well Wantboost and you are correct i initially was not thinking about not having the butterflies... but, as far as things being made for a reason. Me and my uncle built my motor and created parts for my motor of better quality but, of the same specs and weight in the rotating assembly as to not interfer with balancing and the "physics" of the motor the way Honda designed it.. either way i`ll be deleting hondas` programing so i guees i shouldn`t be worring about the ecu`s... so then i guees my concern is assembling a ecu if needed ( because i haven`t done this yet) with what you all are saying to use.. or spending more money to have it done already with the standalone... so i guees my question is answered as far as what todo but, i`m still not sure on what to use...
Old 07-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

yes, you sold a stock p28 for 100 bucks. a chipped ecu generally costs more. people that try to sell virgin p28's for 150 are smoking crack.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by milb16a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well since you need a wideband and laptop for any of them, it essential cancels itself out, your looking at 400 to 500 vs 900-1000.. not the same?i bought everything i needed for 550 which included a converted p06 with datalogging cable and zif, emulator,cromepro,chip burner.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what about the wide-band, computer ????
Old 07-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

you can get an aem ems for 950 or around there. you can get a bosch wideband sensor for 79 bucks with the harness. you can hardwire that into the aem and voila... wideband. that would be your best bet
Old 07-09-2005, 10:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can get an aem ems for 950 or around there. you can get a bosch wideband sensor for 79 bucks with the harness. you can hardwire that into the aem and voila... wideband. that would be your best bet</TD></TR></TABLE>

well, voila... looks like i got me an answer..... and a few frustrated people on
H-t.com.. haha..

see another reason i stray away from the p28 is like i said, i haven`t messed with the socketting and chipping aspect. i would like to eventually get around to it but, its taken so long to develop what i have i would like to drive it. not take the short cut but, get it done. taking a few more weeks and summer coming to an end soon.. i want to drive my car the chipping can be a winter project...
Old 07-09-2005, 10:34 PM

i`m going to bed . so thank you everyone. i`ll be sleeping on it, i have some more reading todo on this but, i haven`t decided. so keep your opions and input coming..
Old 07-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

show me where you can get a aem ems with the wideband built in for 950?yes they go for 800-1000 but i havnt seen anyone selling the wideband equiped ones. yes the aem ems has more features then crome/ubberdata/neptune but they are in no way in the same price range. if you can get an ems with the wideband built in for 950, by all means buy it.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:56 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

its not a wideband equipped one.

the aem ems has an o2 sensor input which reads voltage. atpturbo sells a bosch 5-wire sensor for 79 bucks with a harness. the o2 sensor outputs a voltage... you wire that voltage into the aem's wideband input and scale the o2 sensor lambda valvues and you ahve a wideband.... at least thats how i think it works. me off of caffiene, plus pain killers and thinking at 3am isnt a good thing, plus i just had to chase off some ****** that keeps trying to take my **** (car, motor, etc)

i may be way off. but as i understand all of the boxes like the plx just change the voltage values into a readable display, im gonna see what works. because the aem will read the stock o2 sensor, which is basicallyjust a power and a ground to the sensor then the sensor has a return wire to the ecu that gives the ecu a voltage any where for 0 to 1v. same with a wideband, a power wire into the sensor, the body itself acts as a ground and then you have the return wire to the ecu for volatge reference...

like i said, i may be right or i may be wrong. remind me to look this up on the aem forums tomorrow.

the reason aem offers an ems with a built in wideband is so you can use their sensor and not have to worry about the o2 conversion chart values and also haveing to figure out where to wire the uego unit.

well, this is my brainchild for the day.. off to bed

Quick Reply: this "?" is about fuel systems, i`m listing my setup. what do you think is best ??