Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Would the following issues listed point to a bad o2 sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would the following issues listed point to a bad o2 sensor?

I have a 96 Honda accord that's h22a swapped with a chipped p28 ecu. It's been a while now but when I got the car the a/f ratio gauge was working. After a while it began reading rich, basically pegged to the farthest point of rich and doesn't move. I'm new to diagnosing car issues but it would make sense if the o2 sensor was sending low to no voltage and the gauge was reading properly on the fuel side, then the gauge would properly read rich. I've had problems with the car sometimes, with no common circumstance, having a rough idle and borderline stalling it's self with the clutch pressed. More rarely than a rough idle, the car in first gear will rev up to 3k ish and the entire time feels like a loss in power then you tap the throttle a bit more and it regains its original power. My gauge conclusion seems reasonable, I've heard rough idles can be caused by lean conditions, and losses of power can also be related to lean conditions. It all makes sense in my head but am i coming to the correct conclusion? The only thing that makes me question the conclusion is that there is no check engine light but then again it's a chipped obd1 ecu so i could understand if it won't throw a code.
Thanks!
Old 04-19-2017, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default re: Would the following issues listed point to a bad o2 sensor?

A chipped ECU can still hit limp mode like a champ, but this doesn't sound like the case (?).. I would check your O2 wiring. Power and ground to the controller, etc. I had a similar issue with my LC-2. My power wire had come loose
Old 04-19-2017, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Would the following issues listed point to a bad o2 sensor?

Originally Posted by Txdragon
A chipped ECU can still hit limp mode like a champ, but this doesn't sound like the case (?).. I would check your O2 wiring. Power and ground to the controller, etc. I had a similar issue with my LC-2. My power wire had come loose
I know it is not limp mode because I have had the car in limp mode and it limits my rpms to 3800 and the CEL light comes on but this isn't the case when my car feels like it loses power. Maybe I can't feel it as much but it also only seems to happen when I am in first gear. I am going to check the wiring and see if I can find anything.