Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

What components are necessary in order utilize CROME on an OBD1 ECU? How do I tune?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What components are necessary in order utilize CROME on an OBD1 ECU? How do I tune?

So I bought a CXRacing turbo kit, and yes I know it is not top of the line turbo. I just have a simple question to ask. So I have all supporting mods my question is if I only run 8psi will I need a better MAP sensor if so where can I get one for a good price? Second can I still use my obd1 ecu to get tuned with the turbo or do I absolutely need to buy a management system like hondata and if so what should I buy? All this is going on my 98 b16a2 honda civic hatchback.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: What components are necessary in order utilize CROME on an OBD1 ECU? How do I tune?

Originally Posted by 1sic95accord
So I bought a CXRacing turbo kit, and yes I know it is not top of the line turbo. I just have a simple question to ask. So I have all supporting mods my question is if I only run 8psi will I need a better MAP sensor if so where can I get one for a good price? Second can I still use my obd1 ecu to get tuned with the turbo or do I absolutely need to buy a management system like hondata and if so what should I buy? All this is going on my 98 b16a2 honda civic hatchback.
If my memory serves me correctly, stock MAP sensors only read to 7psi. Your best bet would be converting to a GM 3-bar MAP sensor. Stock ECUs are not tunable, you'll need something like a Hondata in order to properly tune your setup. I'm going to be using a Hondata S300 in my 400whp build, which would work fine for you too.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: What components are necessary in order utilize CROME on an OBD1 ECU? How do I tune?

Originally Posted by IndyTeg
If my memory serves me correctly, stock MAP sensors only read to 7psi. Your best bet would be converting to a GM 3-bar MAP sensor. Stock ECUs are not tunable, you'll need something like a Hondata in order to properly tune your setup. I'm going to be using a Hondata S300 in my 400whp build, which would work fine for you too.
is that GM 3bar MAP plug-n-play? Also thanks for responding so quick.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is that GM 3bar MAP plug-n-play? Also thanks for responding so quick.
No, connectors are different, and it will have to be mounted in a different location. Here's a link with some info: https://www.hondata.com/tech3barmap.html
BTW, I did some rechecking, and stock MAP sensors are actually good to about 11 psi, so if you don't plan on ever going more than that, then you you should be fine with the stock one.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Stock map sensors read to about 10.5lbs so as long as your under about 9lbs you'll be able to set a boost cut at 10.5. You can have the stock ecu socketed on Crome and get it tuned by someone who has a good reputation and it will run solid. You'll want at least 450cc injectors, a Walbro 255lph fuel pump and a set of ngk bkr7e spark plugs part number 4644 gapped to .030". I'd stay away from a gm 3 bar map, they suck at reading vacuum and will cause the car to run inconsistently.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by IndyTeg
No, connectors are different, and it will have to be mounted in a different location. Here's a link with some info: https://www.hondata.com/tech3barmap.html
BTW, I did some rechecking, and stock MAP sensors are actually good to about 11 psi, so if you don't plan on ever going more than that, then you you should be fine with the stock one.
thanks
Old 10-18-2018, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
Stock map sensors read to about 10.5lbs so as long as your under about 9lbs you'll be able to set a boost cut at 10.5. You can have the stock ecu socketed on Crome and get it tuned by someone who has a good reputation and it will run solid. You'll want at least 450cc injectors, a Walbro 255lph fuel pump and a set of ngk bkr7e spark plugs part number 4644 gapped to .030". I'd stay away from a gm 3 bar map, they suck at reading vacuum and will cause the car to run inconsistently.
wow very good answer. Id need like 15 lines for the same content.

Also youll need a obd2 to obd1 adapter. If the car is not already converted to obd1.
Dont feel sorry about the cheap parts. It MIGHT work ok.
Over the time youll replace some or most things. But for a "first contact" cheapbparts are ok.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not sure what crime is as I just made my way into hondas. What I can tell you is right now I have an obd1 ecu that was chipped by some dude from ebay car runs good surprisingly. But with the turbo I'm definitely getting dyno tuned. Here is the link where I got it from. I also asked what he used to burn chip he said he used crome.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Remanufactured-P28-Chipped-Honda-OBD1-ECU-w-choice-of-basemap-Acura/371950754684?hash=item5699fe1b7c:g:03UAAOxyQ45Q~-Zz

I'm confused what I need to do if I have the obd1 ecu burned with crome. Any input is appreciated.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

not sure what crime is as I just made my way into hondas. What I can tell you is right now I have an obd1 ecu that was chipped by some dude from ebay car runs good surprisingly. But with the turbo I'm definitely getting dyno tuned. Here is the link where I got it from. I also asked what he used to burn chip he said he used crome.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Remanufactu...UAAOxyQ45Q~-Zz

I'm confused what I need to do if I have the obd1 ecu burned with crome. Any input is appreciated.
stock ECU can’t read boost properly and you will need larger injectors for the extra fuel which the stock computer also can’t adjust to. Chrome is a software that can’t be added to a stock Honda ECU which will adjust the computer to be able to read boost and except the larger injectors. Get somebody that understands and can program it properly or things can go south quick, but things will go south faster without a program like a Chrome or Hondata. I used chrome for years and ran up to 10psi on my stock MAP sensor
Old 10-18-2018, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboLScrx

stock ECU can’t read boost properly and you will need larger injectors for the extra fuel which the stock computer also can’t adjust to. Chrome is a software that can’t be added to a stock Honda ECU which will adjust the computer to be able to read boost and except the larger injectors. Get somebody that understands and can program it properly or things can go south quick, but things will go south faster without a program like a Chrome or Hondata. I used chrome for years and ran up to 10psi on my stock MAP sensor
thanks
Old 10-18-2018, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Re: What do I need?

^^ This.. Stock map sensor is good as posted here. Keep the CX kit at Wastegate, which should be 8lbs, you'll be fine.
You will, AT MINIMUM, need to socket your ECU as stated here also. Burn a chip, etc. Phearable.net offers a good deal for chips. When you upgrade your map sensor, omnipower is plug and play, but you'll need a way to adjust it. This is where Hondata or Neptune come into play. May be able to have the chip re-burned **shrug**
Old 10-18-2018, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
^^ This.. Stock map sensor is good as posted here. Keep the CX kit at Wastegate, which should be 8lbs, you'll be fine.
You will, AT MINIMUM, need to socket your ECU as stated here also. Burn a chip, etc. Phearable.net offers a good deal for chips. When you upgrade your map sensor, omnipower is plug and play, but you'll need a way to adjust it. This is where Hondata or Neptune come into play. May be able to have the chip re-burned **shrug**
Are you saying saying to keep the Watergate? Kind of lost me at "CX kit at wastegate".
Old 10-18-2018, 05:26 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Are you saying saying to keep the Watergate? Kind of lost me at "CX kit at wastegate".
I think he means keep the boost pressure of the CX racing kit that you're using at the wastegate pressure that the spring was set with when you received it.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

most wastegates will have different springs that can be installed for a starting point for your boost, most wastesgates springs are 5-8 psi as a factory standard. You can add a bigger spring later for a higher starting point or you could add a boost controller to increase the boost pressure. I have a 10 psi spring in my wastegate which means I’m always going to peak out around 10psi unless I added a boost controller and the lowest I could set my boost would be wastegate pressure or 10psi.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I think he means keep the boost pressure of the CX racing kit that you're using at the wastegate pressure that the spring was set with when you received it.
^^ This above.
Almost all the wastegates from CX come with an 8lb spring.
Just keep to that pressure and you'll be fine with a stock map sensor. I ran mine on wastegate pressure and stock map (8lbs) until I got a good boost controller. Then installed the 2.5bar omni and cranked up the boost during tuning.