Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Using an F20b ECU in an Integra to pass emissions. Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 10:34 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using an F20b ECU in an Integra to pass emissions. Is it possible?

Hello,

I have a 94 integra with a f20b w/ h22 trans lsd, but I don't have a ECU yet and I prefer stock ECU just to pass inspection. In my state what is utilized is OBDII, but for this vehicle its is a going to be a two-speed test. Also if there is anything else I should be aware of after in regards to this swap?1981 – 1995Two-Speed TestTwo-Speed Test- The DMV technician will place the RPM sensor on the vehicle’s hood prior to beginning phase one of the test. Phase two the DMV technician will request that you increase the engine speed to 2,500 rpm. DMV shall not test emissions at a higher engine speed. To guide you through this process, the DMV technician shall direct you to follow the guidelines on the computer monitor located outside the driver’s door. The monitor shows your engine speed and indicates when you are in the acceptable range. This test takes approximately 2.5 minutes to complete.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Using an F20b ECU in an Integra to pass emissions. Is it possible?

you can either use an f20b ecu, or get a tuneable ecu and a professional tune that actually gets part throttle dialed in accurately. All your emissions testing will do is a sniffer test. It tests for: 1) CO (carbon monoxide), which is caused by running rich and/or incomplete combustion for various reasons potentially including less than ideal ignition timing, and caused by burning oil, 2) HC (hydrocarbons) caused by the same things as CO, and 3) NOx (nitrous oxides) which are caused by combustion temp being too hot, either from too lean or too much ignition timing, or several other things.

As long as the engine does not burn oil, it should be fairly easy to pass. If it fails, you'll get a printout of the test results. And in that case, you're welcome to post the results and we can tell you what to adjust to alter the readings and pass a re-test.
of course you'll want to have a decent condition catalytic converter installed to give you the best chances of passing too.