Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Troubleshooting: B18 Running lean at higher RPM

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Troubleshooting: B18 Running lean at higher RPM

At idle it was running really rich and now that im fully warmed up and drove a little its at 14.5 at idle. if i accelerate it will lean out to about 14-15 and as i cruise if im easy on the gas itll be around 12 or so. but the more i accelerate it leans out more. I put a screwdriver to my injecotrs and i hear them all ticking so i dont believe i have a failiing fuel injector but i noticed at idle my fuel pressure is at 43 and will increase to about 46 but it looks like it drops to maybe 40 or so at higher rpms. I did put my fuel pump from my d16 in at one point but never drove like that. i ddi run the car a little but had issues that i realized was from the different fuel pump. the origional one is back in now so its better than the d series one but still i feel the loss of power. around 7k rpm it hesitated after hitting vtec. it really only did it at very high rpms though. is there a way to see if my injectors are clogged maybe or does it sound more like a fuel pump problem?
Old 04-29-2018, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Troubleshooting: B18 Running lean at higher RPM

This a quick video I took of how my gauge looks. It starts off rich but leans out as I continue on the gas
Attached Files
Old 04-29-2018, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

You need a tune.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you think if I add fuel that will help? I have hondata idk if that’s something I could just do myself
Old 04-30-2018, 02:00 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM_ego2033
Do you think if I add fuel that will help? I have hondata idk if that’s something I could just do myself
No. You need it actually calibrated on all cells.. Find a tuner, sir.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

agreed. Get a professional tune
Old 05-01-2018, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright so quick update. I found I’m actually leaking out my headers right off the head. It seems to be in the middle and no matter how many times I reset my headers it continues to leak. I snapped a bolt but I think I’ll be able to get it out it’s sticking out a little bit so I’m gonna try vice griping it, but also I have a couple gaskets. I got a felpro all metal one I picked up and I also got 2 of the thicker softer ones. I’m considering trying to double up on the gasket with maybe a metal against he head and then the softer one between the headers and the metal ones. Any suggestions?
Old 05-01-2018, 06:41 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: B18 Running lean at higher RPM

Originally Posted by JDM_ego2033
Alright so quick update. I found I’m actually leaking out my headers right off the head. It seems to be in the middle and no matter how many times I reset my headers it continues to leak. I snapped a bolt but I think I’ll be able to get it out it’s sticking out a little bit so I’m gonna try vice griping it, but also I have a couple gaskets. I got a felpro all metal one I picked up and I also got 2 of the thicker softer ones. I’m considering trying to double up on the gasket with maybe a metal against he head and then the softer one between the headers and the metal ones. Any suggestions?
Not really. I've always used metal gaskets for exhaust headers, but, both types have been known to work.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Troubleshooting: B18 Running lean at higher RPM

So I saw the headers have some of the old gasket on there that’s what was causing the leak. Now my issue is the snapped bolt though 😩 it’s the very center one towards he bottom and it sticks out a tiny bit. I’m trying to vice grip it but my grips won’t hold it. I’m seriously contemplating if the headers will hold without it and I just torque to spec in sequence but I don’t really wanna do that or even drive much with that bolt like it is I wanna get it out asap