Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Is there a way to use OBD Port to communicate with a JDM ECU in a OBD2B 2000 GS-R?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a way to use OBD Port to communicate with a JDM ECU in a OBD2B 2000 GS-R?

I'm running a JDM ECU in a 2000 teggy GS-R, OBD 2 can't communicate with ECU. Is there a fix or do I need to swap out to a USDM ECU? Help please, and thanks
Old 10-08-2017, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 795 Likes on 735 Posts
Default re: Is there a way to use OBD Port to communicate with a JDM ECU in a OBD2B 2000 GS-R?

You will need a USDM ECU... the JDM ECU's do not communicate through the OBD-2 diagnostic port on "B" series applications.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Is there a way to use OBD Port to communicate with a JDM ECU in a OBD2B 2000 GS-R?

There is a very convoluted method of reading JDM protocols, using Bluetooth adapters. I believe JDM ECUs use the protocol "ELM 327", there are several Bluetooth adapters that can be found on online. Using you're phone and certain OBD diagnostic apps you can configure the app to read the ELM327 JDM protocol transmitted by the Bluetooth adapter. I haven't tried it personally, but I've researched it enough as to where it would make sense as to how it would work. Also, it's cheap enough to give it a try.

You will need to get a USDM ECU if you're trying to pass emissions.

Found a link with a more detailed description of what I just stated. I hope it helps:
http://www.obd2cartools.com/jdm-kei-car-compatibility/
Old 10-10-2017, 06:46 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke Nutkicker
There is a very convoluted method of reading JDM protocols, using Bluetooth adapters. I believe JDM ECUs use the protocol "ELM 327", there are several Bluetooth adapters that can be found on online. Using you're phone and certain OBD diagnostic apps you can configure the app to read the ELM327 JDM protocol transmitted by the Bluetooth adapter. I haven't tried it personally, but I've researched it enough as to where it would make sense as to how it would work. Also, it's cheap enough to give it a try.

You will need to get a USDM ECU if you're trying to pass emissions.
The ELM327 is just a chip series that reads the J-protocol interfaces that can view diagnostic information and (Depending upon the series chip) offer PID commands through the OBD2 Port from ELM Electronics. That has little to do with whether or not the JDM ECU can be read or not. It's a standard that uses a cable or bluetooth. I use those as part of my job, and the Bluetooth version is a PITA to continue syncing. Plus, the software & firmware have to be right in order for it to make any adjustments to the ECU itself.

Here's a small write-up on the series that we use in certain test environments to use for cyber security systems on newer "connected" vehicles that are not OTA updates

This PDF White paper from ELM Electronics goes in-depth as to what the ELM327 OBD module is, how it communicates with the vehicle, what protocols it has the ability to view, and if necessary, manipulate in order to either update its software or assist in exposing an issue diagnostically. The ELM327 has become the standard unit for diagnostic OBD research and source code manipulation for professionals and enthusiasts alike

http://speedtrappconsulting.com/image/data/ELM327DS.pdf

I've also co-written a second white-paper on the two main protocols used for these diagnostic systems and the ELM327 chip vs. the higher end N1110 Chips.

But this depends upon the Year of the ECU. just because it is a JDM ECU doesn't mean it can be read/manipulated.

Your JDM ECU cannot be read on a standard 2000 USDM Integra Harness. The entire physical interface is completely different . If the Engine were also a JDM GS-R, you would need a JDM Distributor jumper harness in order to read timing.

So, this really depends upon what you did, or are trying to do. If you're trying to run Hondata off of a JDM ECU, there's options. If this is a JDM Engine with its harness FOR a JDM ECU, that's fine, but you'll need Hondata to manipulate it. ELM327 won't without the proper software in the OBD2B Port.

If you're concerned about emissions, dump the JDM ECU altogether.

We need more information of what your purpose is and what you're trying to use the OBD Port for.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there a way to use OBD Port to communicate with a JDM ECU in a OBD2B 2000 GS-R

Originally Posted by TheShodan
The ELM327 is just a chip series that reads the J-protocol interfaces that can view diagnostic information and (Depending upon the series chip) offer PID commands through the OBD2 Port from ELM Electronics. That has little to do with whether or not the JDM ECU can be read or not. It's a standard that uses a cable or bluetooth. I use those as part of my job, and the Bluetooth version is a PITA to continue syncing. Plus, the software & firmware have to be right in order for it to make any adjustments to the ECU itself.

Here's a small write-up on the series that we use in certain test environments to use for cyber security systems on newer "connected" vehicles that are not OTA updates

This PDF White paper from ELM Electronics goes in-depth as to what the ELM327 OBD module is, how it communicates with the vehicle, what protocols it has the ability to view, and if necessary, manipulate in order to either update its software or assist in exposing an issue diagnostically. The ELM327 has become the standard unit for diagnostic OBD research and source code manipulation for professionals and enthusiasts alike

http://speedtrappconsulting.com/image/data/ELM327DS.pdf

I've also co-written a second white-paper on the two main protocols used for these diagnostic systems and the ELM327 chip vs. the higher end N1110 Chips.

But this depends upon the Year of the ECU. just because it is a JDM ECU doesn't mean it can be read/manipulated.

Your JDM ECU cannot be read on a standard 2000 USDM Integra Harness. The entire physical interface is completely different . If the Engine were also a JDM GS-R, you would need a JDM Distributor jumper harness in order to read timing.

So, this really depends upon what you did, or are trying to do. If you're trying to run Hondata off of a JDM ECU, there's options. If this is a JDM Engine with its harness FOR a JDM ECU, that's fine, but you'll need Hondata to manipulate it. ELM327 won't without the proper software in the OBD2B Port.

If you're concerned about emissions, dump the JDM ECU altogether.

We need more information of what your purpose is and what you're trying to use the OBD Port for.

Hmm, duely noted. I was always under the impression that JOBD protocols were the same, and we're accessible through the umbrella of "ELM 327." I updated my post and added a link. Is there any merit to the information presented in that small editorial?

Last edited by Luke Nutkicker; 10-12-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:20 AM

Default Re: Is there a way to use OBD Port to communicate with a JDM ECU in a OBD2B 2000 GS-R

Hmm, duely noted. I was always under the impression that JOBD protocols were the same, and we're accessible through the umbrella of "ELM 327." I updated my post anything added a link. Is there any merit to the information presented in that small editorial?
I guess I don't understand what you mean by your connotation of "merit". The information is there from the very sources at ELM Electronics, ZTE, and several other companies. I currently work with two law firms in Intellectual Property as a Legal--Techno consultant on this issue regarding over 20 different makes, including testing these devices at several facilities over the last 18 months.. There are several white papers on the subject via serious research on ELM and N1110 Protocols. Some online, some not.

Since you don't know me from "Adam" I suppose there's validity in questioning my answers. I guess I didn't count on anyone believing I would lie about this area or create "fake news" surrounding it. But I won't create an entire synopsis just for this forum to "prove" myself. If you doubt the validity, that's absolutely fine, as this is a web forum, and is not subject to fact-checking or vetting any research process.

I'm not offended in the slightest. Just didn't expect to be questioned on the validity of this basic principle considering that the information is easily available to the public for the most part.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You completely misunderstood my post. I stated that I edit my original reply after you commented linking an a web page that explained the usage of "ELM327". I figured since you seem well versed in this subject that you would be the perfect person to ask if the information contained in that link is valid or not. I'm not talking about the report you cited.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:07 AM

You completely misunderstood my post. I stated that I edit my original reply after you commented linking an a web page that explained the usage of "ELM327". I figured since you seem well versed in this subject that you would be the perfect person to ask if the information contained in that link is valid or not. I'm not talking about the report you cited.
My apologies. I misunderstood the context of your statement. Yes. The information that you provided in the link is valid, and you need Japanese Domestic Market Software to see the JOBD/ISO protocols.
My Japanese is a bit rusty, but I remember looking into those briefly. It was only to see which protocols that they used as their standard for the JDM market. They were mainly ISO. I didn't use/see any KWP protocols.

For those wondering what Luke Nutkicker and I are referring to, it's based upon this basic information.

"Protocols:
For starters, most of the free software for ELM 327 does NOT have JOBD protocols embedded into their coding. Therefore, the software is unable to connect and translate the data the device is being fed by the car ECU.
American automobiles use the SAE protocols, European automobiles use the ISO protocols and JDM automobiles use KWP protocols.
KWP protocols in Japan are these days limited to Sub compact cars since most of the sales are in Japan and not export market. KWP protocols are identical to ISO protocols except KWP uses a different mode of sequences of data to communicate. Hence different frequencies.

Solution:
There are not many English language JOBD software out on the market. You will find plenty in Japanese.
Only a handful of PAID software are available in English which are JOBD complaint. Yes! that means you have to buy them with REAL MONEY. Cost of PC based software ranges from $20-$800. Handheld based software are from $5-$400.