Reading an article from Hondata about tuning basics

Old 03-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reading an article from Hondata about tuning basics

http://www.hondata.com/techenginetuning.html

I dont really understand it. Where it says

"-Tune for 14.7 from column 1-5, and 6 for 13.6 up to VTEC or 6k or so"

If he says this, what is the need for a dyno? Cant you enter the values in stated above for an near stock NA engine with basic bolt ons, and your car is already partly tuned for running a good set of AFRs? Forgive me for the noobness but i'm going over MANY articles on tuning basics.

Another thing i dont get with that article demo, is why ISNT he making the mixture LEANER as he goes up the thorttle position columns? Wouldnt a leaner yield the engine more power/torque, hence colums 6 and up should be greater than 14.7 to maybe in the 15 range? Also where are these figures coming from, the o2 sensor that reports back to the ECU? Does this mean if o2 sensor is not operational or non existant, no AFRs would appear on the matrix?

Last edited by mr_munro; 03-27-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Reading an article from Hondata about tuning basics

Lean mixtures make less power. Burning fuel makes energy, so if you burn less fuel per cycle, you make less power. You make the most power when you can use all oxygen in the cylinder, which generally occurs when the mixture is 10%-15% rich. There are some exceptions though.

Those AFR targets are just rules of thumb. They won't necessarily be best for any engine and application. The only definite is that you'll need to target 14.7 at low-mid load if you need to pass an emissions test that measures NOx.

All of these AFR measurements can only be obtained by using a wideband oxygen sensor and controller, such as the Innovate LC-1, NGK AFX, AEM UEGO, etc.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ddd4114
Lean mixtures make less power. Burning fuel makes energy, so if you burn less fuel per cycle, you make less power. You make the most power when you can use all oxygen in the cylinder, which generally occurs when the mixture is 10%-15% rich. There are some exceptions though.
Ah ok that sums that up.
Those AFR targets are just rules of thumb. They won't necessarily be best for any engine and application. The only definite is that you'll need to target 14.7 at low-mid load if you need to pass an emissions test that measures NOx.
Ok, so that takes car of colums 1-5 say. I guess i won't be able to determine the other figures until i go to a dyno then to check the engines power?

All of these AFR measurements can only be obtained by using a wideband oxygen sensor and controller, such as the Innovate LC-1, NGK AFX, AEM UEGO, etc.
So if i plug the ECU into my laptop AT HOME and disable closed loop, does this disable the o2 sensor sending information to the ECU and i wont have any AFR figures in the matrix?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The rules of thumb are fine at first. AFR doesn't affect power that much as long as you're ballpark correct.

Disabling closed loop just disables feedback, not the oxygen sensor reading itself.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The rules of thumb are fine at first. AFR doesn't affect power that much as long as you're ballpark correct.

Disabling closed loop just disables feedback, not the oxygen sensor reading itself.
Ok so if i can get readings from the o2 sensor, then why is a wideband necessary? I mean, can the car still be tuned without a wideband?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No, look up the difference between a wideband and a narrowband oxygen sensor.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No, look up the difference between a wideband and a narrowband oxygen sensor.
Ok i see the wideband being more accurate as it reads 0-5v. I ask because i just wanted to have a look at the figures and see how the change under throttle in my driveway. I will not need to purchase 1 as my tuner has one built into the dyno.

My understanding is it replaces the o2 sensor. But some forums read that you only need the wideband in for tuning and you disconnect it after the tune and replace with the o2 sensor. Does that sound right?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would really encourage you to read a lot more about this subject, because it has been covered in great lengths many, many times before. A quick Google search will give you a lot of information about this.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea will do and have been, they just give me the same information, thanks.