Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

random misfire and egr code. to no start

Old 09-21-2017, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default random misfire and egr code. to no start

Hey there, i bought a 98 prelude about 2 months ago. i knew it was going to need work because when i bought it the car would fluctuate at idle (meaning rpm go from 700-1500 continuously) i spent about a month trying to figure out what the fluctuating idle was. I noticed one of the EGR vacuum hoses were unplugged so i figured that would've been the issue but after reconnecting that, nothing changed. I took the throttle body off, cleaned the IAC, FITV. neither of those worked. At this time the engine light was on with random misfire codes and an IAC code. One day just messing around i noticed a golden screw at the top left corner of the throttle body wasnt in all the way. i took it out and saw that it was all black on the inside(never cleaned or took a good look at it) and I just put it back in all the way. This stopped the engine light from being on for a while and it fixed the fluctuating idle. Until i drove it about 2 hours and the idle would fluctuate same as before, except it only happens some times. After i thought i fixed the idol, i got temporary insurance and plates till i get it certified and e tested. after a couple days of driving it all misfire codes came back but this time it was accompanied with an EGR insignificant flow code. i cleaned the egr and put it back together but the codes still came back after erasing them. Now my car is sitting in the parking lot, not starting. dash lights come on but the car does nothing when i crank the key. I'm going to start with that screw on the throttle body (which i think is a sensor or something). Any other ideas on what i should do or try??
Old 09-21-2017, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: random misfire and egr code. to no start

Does nothing when you crank the key include not turning over, or just no ignition? You posted on my post where I had similar issues, but now reading your post, I'm not sure if our cases are that alike (Mine was, in the end, a head gasket). The other problem I was having, that was unrelated to the head gasket, was blocked EGR ports, not just the valve. This problem will give you the 'EGR flow insufficient' code. To clean these ports is a pain, as you need to tap and remove the plugs in the intake. That being said, you may have something else causing the idling issue, as I've had these plugged ports for years and not had issues besides the code.