Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Questions about converting to Hall effect type sensor for cam/crank positions

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Questions about converting to Hall effect type sensor for cam/crank positions

Hey guys!
I am looking into converting from the magnetic pickup style sensors inside the distributor to a 3 wire hall effect type sensor. I am running the AEM EMS which is kinda picky about the cam/crank signals from the stock magnetic sensors. There seems to be alot of ways to do this. Some options Ive seen are AEM EPM, T1 race trigger wheel, MSD pro billet distributor, MSD "flying magnet" kit, and having an ATI damper custom made with magnets spaced evenly apart.
Im curious as to why some place the magnets in the crank pulley area while others are in the cam gear. Is one way better than the other? I would think the crank type system would be more accurate since it DIRECTLY corresponds with TDC and not affected by timing belt stretch or anything...
Since The EMS is fully programmable, should I go with more magnets so it can get a better "picture" of the cam/crank position? like 12 magnets every 30 degrees? or should i keep it simple with 4 magnets spaced 90 degrees?
I plan on using a Bosch hall effect sensor (free) and really just need advice on the magnet placement...Or should I just say screw it and buy a kit. Id rather build my own since it would be much cheaper and I could make it exactly how i want it. I only want to upgrade these inputs to the EMS, no COP for me just yet...
Thanks HT for any advice or suggestions!
Old 11-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about converting to Hall effect type sensor for cam/crank positions

If you make a crank trigger set-up, you'll still need to have a cam sync pick-up off the cam gear. If you dont you cannot fire the injectors in sequential, and have to run batch fire. Its a step backwards IMO. Both the EPM and T1 work extremely well, EPM forces you to run a COP or CNP style ignition, where the T1 does not. Belt deflection is not much of an issue if the belt is tensioned properly.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about converting to Hall effect type sensor for cam/crank positions

Thanks for the response boosted hybrid. I agree on the batch fire setup, definately a step backwards. So I guess I need to get my hands on a a T1/Golden eagle cam gear and go from there. I noticed the T1/golden eagle cam gear has 12 magnets (+1 for TDC). Would running more magnets give better "resolution" so to speak for more precise spark/fuel timing?
Thanks again for your input! Im def leaning towards the T1 setup..
Old 11-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any engineers or other smart people out there know if I can use Neodymium magnets? Or should they be of the Samarium-Cobalt "heat resistant" type?
Im starting to think you can DIY for not too much $
Old 01-03-2011, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

RRRRRRR it'ssss BACK from the DEADDDDD!!!

um yea so do more magnets in the cam gear
give any benefits? seems like it would if you can program the ecu to take advantage of it...