Question about honing a cylinder - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Question about honing a cylinder

Old 01-09-2019, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Question about honing a cylinder

I have a 1991 Honda Civic Sedan DX 1.L. I need to do a tear down cause i am burning oil. No leaks. I have replaced the PCV valve. I am assuming the piston or piston rings. Anyway i know honing is delicate work so i was thinking using a flex hone 400 grit or 600 grit. Any thoughts? Should i go lower or higher grit?
Old 01-11-2019, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about honing a cylinder

this probably belongs in "Engine Machining & Assembly"

I've used flex hones on D-series and F-series with good results. they're easy to use and it's really all about visual inspection. if it looks good it should work fine. I'll take a look and see what grit i used and update later today.

for oil consumption from worn or stuck rings (clogged with carbon/sludge) just as important as the hone job is getting the pistons thoroughly cleaned. I have first hand experience with B-12 Chem dip and would recommend. soak them over night and they came out like new the next morning. i'm sure there are other similar products available too.

also confirm your cylinder bore taper and roundness with a dial bore gauge so you know you're working with an in-spec block.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: