Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Please Explain: "Disable VTEC Spool Error Check"

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 04:47 AM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please Explain: "Disable VTEC Spool Error Check"

So I'm getting ready to place my car on the market. I had issues with it being undriveable due to bucking issues that I couldn't explain. I didn't really care since I had another daily driver. Anyways, after replacing nearly everything it seems to have come down to being a faulty ECU. It has a Hondata S300.

One problem still remains which is I get a CEL 21 VTEC Spool Valve anytime that VTEC engages. During the process of replacing stuff described above both the solenoid and pressure switch were replaced even though I believed both were in functioning order. The new ones also function the same. I can hear VTEC engage just fine at 4400rpm as it should but about 500rpm later I get the CEL 21 code forcing me to let off the throttle. I can clear the DTCs with the SManager but it'll do the same thing next time VTEC engages.

So explain the reason why someone would check the box in SManager to "Disable VTEC Spool Error Check." I'm thinking this would solve my problem, but I don't want to check a box without understanding it and what problem could arise. For the time being I've disabled VTEC and the car functions perfectly normal. VTEC is kind of wanted since it adds roughly 100hp...and is the main reason for doing an LS-VTEC in the first place lol.

...Or is this something I should give to a shop to figure out why it's giving an CEL 21? Unless it's easy to troubleshoot I have no interest in doing it. I just want to make the car function correctly and then it's going up for sale.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Please Explain: "Disable VTEC Spool Error Check"

Well all I can say about that is on my EM1 I use to get that code periodically while driving around, I would clear it on S300 and go about my life. I ended up moving somewhere that requires emissions test, so I had to swap in my stock ecu, injectors, etc...so I could pass the plug in test. But on the stock ecu it was throwing the vtec malfunction code constantly. I ended up replacing the pressure switch, cleaning the solenoid and finally replacing the wiring from the ecu to the vtec solenoid and pressure switch and my problem went away and never came back (this was over two years ago). The old wiring was broken inside one of the plugs and I would assume was making a poor connection.