Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

OBD1 ECU COIL ON PLUG MODULE - TROJANTUNING

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OBD1 ECU COIL ON PLUG MODULE - TROJANTUNING

So, I need to buy a new distributor. Should I do this instead?
Old 05-25-2016, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

You need the variable reluctance sensors in the distributor working for this hack to work. So if you need a distributor, unless its just the rotor or cap, youre still going to need to replace it in order to run coil-on-plug.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SpeedRacerEX-R
Why is that a zip file? it's only 147 lines of code.
That is the first revision of the programming of the arduino microcontroller. wiring is not complicated but must be done right .
Old 06-11-2016, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by enzoferrari
Good job!
In later engines (such as F23's as I know), the sensors are located at the crank pully side of the engine. I think in those engine the dizzy is just working as a distributor and coil, not like the older ones which contain sensors too. If I'm correct, you could completely remove the dizzy in those engines; Which makes the bay more shaved and clear. What you think?
I love the idea , thats why my test car was a d17a2 civic 2002 , because I wanted to use the sensors that are already there , but I wasn't able to accomplish that , but still at work with that .
Old 06-11-2016, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Full_Tilt
You need the variable reluctance sensors in the distributor working for this hack to work. So if you need a distributor, unless its just the rotor or cap, youre still going to need to replace it in order to run coil-on-plug.
what do yo mean ? the only thing that is need it is the arduino connected , and original coil to be disconnected . (replaced with a 320ohm resistor for rpm to work) but thats it .
Old 06-13-2016, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In later engines (such as F23's as I know), the sensors are located at the crank pully side of the engine. I think in those engine the dizzy is just working as a distributor and coil, not like the older ones which contain sensors too. If I'm correct, you could completely remove the dizzy in those engines; Which makes the bay more shaved and clear. What you think?
I love the idea , thats why my test car was a d17a2 civic 2002 , because I wanted to use the sensors that are already there , but I wasn't able to accomplish that , but still at work with that .
At least, the distributor can be extremely downsized, because you are eliminating coil, cap, rotor, etc.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The coil switching with any high speed transistor? or mosfet? Or direct arduino wiring to the coil?
Old 07-26-2016, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A local tuner here in PR received a unit to test. Are these available for sale already or are you beta testing?
Old 11-18-2016, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 7rrivera7
A local tuner here in PR received a unit to test. Are these available for sale already or are you beta testing?
I'm sorry but we haven't given any unit to test to anybody , I belive Manolito from Puerto Rico requested one to us for testing when he came to Costa Rica, but we haven't talked about this clearly
Old 11-18-2016, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by majdi
The coil switching with any high speed transistor? or mosfet? Or direct arduino wiring to the coil?
directly to the coil with a diode just in case , remember 3 wire coils comes with a built in driver which is a high speed trans .
Old 11-18-2016, 07:22 PM
Trial User

What you using to connect INJECTOR and ICM (12v singal) to 5v arduino input? a zener diode ? I see on the picture something in black cover on the wire but have no idea what it is.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Krys Rein
What you using to connect INJECTOR and ICM (12v singal) to 5v arduino input? a zener diode ? I see on the picture something in black cover on the wire but have no idea what it is.

from ICM to the INPUT pin on the arduino Im using a 1k resistor 1/8w , also for the sync (INJ) , for each coil Im using a diode.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, Manolito was the tuner I spoke with as I prepare all of his chipped ECUs.

When will this be available for beta testing or sale?
Old 11-19-2016, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Curious which signal you are using for sync? Is it the CYP, TDC, or CKP output from the distributor? I'm building this up and will start playing with your code asap. Any interest in emulating the tach output? I think it would be worthwhile to simply do away with the entire distributor and have a 24-1 (or 36-1) optical wheel and use the arduino to emulate all the stock distributor outputs to the ECU. If done right we could do up a board to stuff it all inside a distributor-like device.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by flatblackdime
Curious which signal you are using for sync? Is it the CYP, TDC, or CKP output from the distributor? I'm building this up and will start playing with your code asap. Any interest in emulating the tach output? I think it would be worthwhile to simply do away with the entire distributor and have a 24-1 (or 36-1) optical wheel and use the arduino to emulate all the stock distributor outputs to the ECU. If done right we could do up a board to stuff it all inside a distributor-like device.
That will be A1 , first INJ , you can use any signal you want , in the code you set up which cyl goes after that SYNC signal .
Old 11-20-2016, 02:56 PM
Trial User

What about this issue above 7600 rpm ? How you solve this? Can you upload the new revision of code?
Old 11-27-2016, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I developed a new code . I will be posting it tomorrow.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I did some serious thinking about this over the weekend...If I'm not mistaken this can also be done with some CMOS logic. A CD4017 decade counter chip seems like a suitable solution. Anyone have thoughts on this? You'd use the tdc signal from the distributor to reset/sync the count. A circuit like this could be hidden inside a gutted distributor and the coilpacks wired directly to it.

This is this signal diagram for the counter:

I think this could also handle the tach output as well?
Old 12-06-2016, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi guys, Adeel here hope you are fine. I have a honda City (SX-8 or Type Z ) swapped with a D17A engine and a manual ECU. I researched on ho to convert it into OBD 1 but having no background in coding or programming i am not able to break the barriers. However, here i can say that using a simple Logic IC cannot be a solution as Dwell Time is very difficult to set in this situation or fine tune. On the other hand we will be needing a simple code to tell the arduino that what a short pulse means but it is not that easy. Well the code that is posted over here is now working for my D15 test engine maybe it has some code missing.
we can use 4 VR sensors to trigger 4 coils instead of 4 wires but the circuitry will be complex. While looking around for answers i found speeduino.com where a member is using arduino as an ECU to run a D15 Vtec.
@amadeuscr can you please comment on the usability of the posted code or can you upload a complete version of it. or shed some light on it.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: OBD1 ECU COIL ON PLUG MODULE - TROJANTUNING

This is the new revision of the code , which includes min and max for dwell to be mapped into rpm , and it has OFFRET , which is to offset the timing for retard . and will do it in mapped microseconds level, right now its commented cause I have no need for it anymore , it looks like the timing its working properly.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
CoilOnPlugRe.zip (1.1 KB, 437 views)
Old 12-09-2016, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by flatblackdime
I did some serious thinking about this over the weekend...If I'm not mistaken this can also be done with some CMOS logic. A CD4017 decade counter chip seems like a suitable solution. Anyone have thoughts on this? You'd use the tdc signal from the distributor to reset/sync the count. A circuit like this could be hidden inside a gutted distributor and the coilpacks wired directly to it.

This is this signal diagram for the counter:

I think this could also handle the tach output as well?
Counters are good and fast processing the data , but the problem is that you will not be able to modify timings or dwell . or do you have any idea to resolve that ?
Old 12-09-2016, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Adeel Jalali
Hi guys, Adeel here hope you are fine. I have a honda City (SX-8 or Type Z ) swapped with a D17A engine and a manual ECU. I researched on ho to convert it into OBD 1 but having no background in coding or programming i am not able to break the barriers. However, here i can say that using a simple Logic IC cannot be a solution as Dwell Time is very difficult to set in this situation or fine tune. On the other hand we will be needing a simple code to tell the arduino that what a short pulse means but it is not that easy. Well the code that is posted over here is now working for my D15 test engine maybe it has some code missing.
we can use 4 VR sensors to trigger 4 coils instead of 4 wires but the circuitry will be complex. While looking around for answers i found speeduino.com where a member is using arduino as an ECU to run a D15 Vtec.
@amadeuscr can you please comment on the usability of the posted code or can you upload a complete version of it. or shed some light on it.

what exactly is what you can't do ? , I posted a write down and its not that hard to be honest. just patience . let me know what I can help you with ,

and I just posted the new revision of the code .
Old 12-10-2016, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to build this up and I need some help in installing the arduino and wiring. Do you have any images or diagrams or etc. to help us with it?
Old 12-12-2016, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://speeduino.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=206
Here it is .....

Hi, thank for your prompt response @amadeuscr ...... having some issues controlling dwell time ...... can you post a base map that ran D17. I have another project going. Converting a D17 into OBD-1 and my car too ..... any sugeestion which basemap/rom to use. If you could post it will really pace up my work, if you dont mind. i will also be trying the VR sensors hooked up to trigger coils no dwell issues .......
Old 12-23-2016, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Some kind of distributor Replacement? I believe I've heard of something like this coming soon.

Quick Reply: OBD1 ECU COIL ON PLUG MODULE - TROJANTUNING