Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

NYS OBD2 (non K series) inspection/emissions/tuning discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NYS OBD2 (non K series) inspection/emissions/tuning discussion

I'm hoping to start a discussion thread about passing New York State inspection with modified OBD2 cars. I'm not looking to discuss K series cars because they can run Kpro and thats a whole different story. I'm talking here about B/D/H/F series motors, anything that requires you to run a jumper harness down to an OBD1 ECU to tune your modified engine.

For those that do not know about NYS inspection

-for any 1996+ vehicle they connect their computer to your OBD2 port. If there are any CEL's, you fail.

-If there is more than 1 (maybe 2, cant remember) monitor(s) not reading "OK" you fail.

-If you have an OBD1 ECU, you fail.

-no tail pipe sniffer or anything like that, just OBD2 port scanning.

Now for my situation, I have an 2000 Integra that I am building a motor for. I DO NOT want to run a bogus inspection sticker off of another car. So that leaves me with only one option to pass legally: get the motor to run on a stock OBD2 ECU long enough for it to pass inspection. I guess for me it boils down to two questions:

1. What internal engine modifications can I get away with on a stock ECU for a couple hundred miles of driving? Higher compression? Cams? Obviously The car can't throw any codes.

2. Has anyone else had experience passing an OBD2 car in New York? Please share!

It is VERY unfortunate for us New York guys that there is no true OBD2 tuning solution for B/D/H/F series motors.

Thanks ahead of time for the input guys
Old 09-21-2013, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: NYS OBD2 (non K series) inspection/emissions/tuning discussion

I pass OBD2 inspections in NY every year for my brothers car, a friend and mine. My brother's setup is a turbo D16Y8 400+whp on race gas, ID1000 injectors, S300, no cat, etc. We put the stock ecu on each year along with the stock injectors and map sensor and drive around for a few miles. Since this car is 00 or older they are allowing 2 "not ready". We usually go with 1 not ready, I think evap or cat takes the longest. The compression is very close to stock 9:1 and stock cams so drive-ability is not an issue. As for the no cat, we used one of the o2 sensor step offs and it works.
I also converted a JDM ITR motor to usdm spec, CKF, vtec press, evap, secondary o2, everything. Car even has a high flow cat and I pass with a USDM P73. The rest of the year it runs S300 with ID1000s.
It possible if you have the knowledge and patience, it also helps when someone else doesn't hack the car up and leaves all the emissions parts intact. Unfortunately most of the people I mean children doing engine swaps ignore and remove all of these parts and run an OBD1 ecu, killing all chances of passing.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As for pulling an inspection sticker off another car, that's fine for 2 years. But when the inspection station doesn't send your legitimate inspection back to the DMV they will not let you register the car.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sicones
I pass OBD2 inspections in NY every year for my brothers car, a friend and mine. My brother's setup is a turbo D16Y8 400+whp on race gas, ID1000 injectors, S300, no cat, etc. We put the stock ecu on each year along with the stock injectors and map sensor and drive around for a few miles. Since this car is 00 or older they are allowing 2 "not ready". We usually go with 1 not ready, I think evap or cat takes the longest. The compression is very close to stock 9:1 and stock cams so drive-ability is not an issue. As for the no cat, we used one of the o2 sensor step offs and it works.
I also converted a JDM ITR motor to usdm spec, CKF, vtec press, evap, secondary o2, everything. Car even has a high flow cat and I pass with a USDM P73. The rest of the year it runs S300 with ID1000s.
It possible if you have the knowledge and patience, it also helps when someone else doesn't hack the car up and leaves all the emissions parts intact. Unfortunately most of the people I mean children doing engine swaps ignore and remove all of these parts and run an OBD1 ecu, killing all chances of passing.
Thanks for the response! The car was bone stock when I got it so I have all the emissions equipment for it still. The problem really lies in wanting to go with higher compression and cams I guess. I don't think a stock ECU would like that even if I return the injectors, MAP, ETC back to stock for inspection. I hope I'm not stuck with rebuilding the motor with basically stock specs
Old 09-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I never tried with a motor very high compression and big cams, it might pass depending on the usdm ecu you use. Worst case you can swap in the stock cams in just a few hours. Then adjust the fuel pressure and idle for the higher compression.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sicones
I never tried with a motor very high compression and big cams, it might pass depending on the usdm ecu you use. Worst case you can swap in the stock cams in just a few hours. Then adjust the fuel pressure and idle for the higher compression.
^this^ is what I would suggest.

a day spent installing the stock cams and stock injectors, and simply retarding the distributor a few degrees, should take care of it
Old 06-14-2017, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have high compression pistions on my acura and S2 stage 1 street tuner series cams on my car and i run the stock ECU with no problems at all no check engine light or nothing no cat did the 02 sensor trick car been running fine