Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Engine Management and Tuning (https://honda-tech.com/forums/engine-management-tuning-124/)
-   -   Is my ITR worth tuning? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/engine-management-tuning-124/my-itr-worth-tuning-2967452/)

mr_munro 08-10-2011 01:08 AM

Is my ITR worth tuning?

01 DC2R

Mods are: Titanium exhaust manifold (not sure of the brand but was told Mugen replica), with a 2.5" Fujitsubu Power Getter cat back exhaust and a Comptech ice box.

Now, with these simple mods, is it worth tuning? I ask because the VTEC comes on SO strong, it physically puts me in the back of my seat, so i was thinking maybe a good tune will be able to even the powerband out a little and perhaps lower the VTEC threshold. Yay or nay?

After tuning my GSR (I/H/E, Skunk 2 IM, 65mm TB) the VTEC engagement is at 3800rpm, and provides a lovely amount of torque in the mid-range and very smooth power delivery, where with my ITR its nothing then BAM at 5700rpm. I understand ITR cams are a lot bigger which may contribute, but any chance of getting similar VTEC crossover results of my GSR with a tune to my ITR?

One last thing aswell, what is this i hear about each ITR ECU is programmed specifically to the keys and immoboliser system, does this mean if i buy an obd1a ECU with the obd2a conversion harness to tune it with, the car will not start? Do i need to take it to Honda and get it re coded or something similar?

Not interested in VTEC controllers or anything else like that either.

Thanks

mtber 08-10-2011 04:47 AM

Re: Is my ITR worth tuning?

Proper tuning will generally yield a better powerband and overall power when you are comparing a stock ecu to a tuned ecu when you have intake/header/exhaust.

Using an obd2b to obd1 ecu jumper harness & chipped obd1 vtec ecu or hondata s300 system would be the ideal solution.
Review http://www.phearable.net/tech/efibeginnerguide.html for more information on this subject.

mr_munro 08-10-2011 06:14 AM

Thanks for that. I was just going to buy another P73 ECU, socket that and chip it and use that to tune, but after reading that link, why cant the p73's be chipped?

mtber 08-10-2011 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by mr_munro (Post 45813945)
Thanks for that. I was just going to buy another P73 ECU, socket that and chip it and use that to tune, but after reading that link, why cant the p73's be chipped?

Obd2 ecus are not supported by tuning software on the market.
You must use an obd2 to obd1 ecu jumper and obd1 ecu setup.

mr_munro 08-10-2011 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by mtber (Post 45818243)
Obd2 ecus are not supported by tuning software on the market.
You must use an obd2 to obd1 ecu jumper and obd1 ecu setup.

Ok thats that part cleared up, also one more thing..

What is this i hear about if i buy another ECU, i would need to take it to Honda to get it re coded to my keys and immobiliser system?

mtber 08-11-2011 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by mr_munro (Post 45819257)
Ok thats that part cleared up, also one more thing..

What is this i hear about if i buy another ECU, i would need to take it to Honda to get it re coded to my keys and immobiliser system?

No, using an obd1 ecu eliminates the immobilizer.

mr_munro 08-11-2011 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by mtber (Post 45820591)
No, using an obd1 ecu eliminates the immobilizer.

Thanks for your info, will post up some results once my tuner gets off his lazy butt.

zccr-xsi 08-11-2011 05:22 PM

listen to mtber
he knows he's shit when it comes to tuning.i feel he's one of the best tuners around.

mr_munro 08-11-2011 10:30 PM

Yea i dont doubt that...

Another thing, is there anything that needs to be done under the dash for the immobolizer transponder?

mtber 08-11-2011 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by mr_munro (Post 45826380)
Yea i dont doubt that...

Another thing, is there anything that needs to be done under the dash for the immobolizer transponder?

Nothing needs to be done to run an obd1 ecu. Simply plug & play the adapter harness and obd1 ecu setup.

zccr-xsi 08-13-2011 12:54 PM

[QUOTE=mtber;45826538]Nothing needs to be done to run an obd1 ecu. Simply plug & play the adapter harness and obd1 ecu setup.[/QUOTEalso u will need a obd1 dizzy and dizzy jumper harness,correct me if im wrong john.

mtber 08-13-2011 05:39 PM

[QUOTE=zccr-xsi;45834235]

Originally Posted by mtber (Post 45826538)
Nothing needs to be done to run an obd1 ecu. Simply plug & play the adapter harness and obd1 ecu setup.[/QUOTEalso u will need a obd1 dizzy and dizzy jumper harness,correct me if im wrong john.

No, obd2 distributor will work with obd1 ecu, no modifications needed.