Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

hondata s300 burnt up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hondata s300 burnt up?

I am having some problems with what i belive is the computer.

The car will start up and run great, i get it to operating temp and take it out for a ride.
It runs great for about 15 minutes and then goes into some sort of limp mode, no CEL, but wont pass 2500 rpms, it just sputters.

All the other parts are brand new, and its not throwing a code. I can rev it fine in neutral, and it will rev right to 9500, but soon as you try and pull away it sputters at 2500.

I took the top cover for the computer off and there is a burn mark right over the s300 box, im assuming an injector driver or something burnt out, anyone else had something like this happen? What could cause this? Any input is appreciated.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata s300 burnt up?

PICS PLEASE
Old 06-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 06-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well thats not good, but we need a pic of the board.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is that where that large capacitor is on the main board? It should be replaced before install of the s300 or any chip/rtp now a days. Where did you get your ecu from? You can try to replace that capacitor and see if your ecu will work again.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:22 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thread open again.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when there is 20 tuners that use this forum every day, i think i would get more support here
Old 06-29-2010, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not without a picture of the actual ecu board.

And the Engine management forum is where this belongs regardless of how many tuners come through here.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is no visual damage to the board itself, which is why i posted the picture of the cover and not the board.

and i already spoke with an administrator and the thread was reopened, so if you do not have something to say that will help me, please keep your comments to yourself.

I am looking for people that have every day experience with tuning, not a bunch of random morons who are reading every thread on h-t.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:24 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

a pic like that will not help get your question answered. Im moving this to a diff area
Old 06-29-2010, 08:29 PM

Just from the ecu cover picture it looks like you burnt q31 which is due to having your intake air temperature, evap purge, idle air control valve plugs mixed up. Your intake air temperature sensor maybe damaged now too.

The good news, the q31 component isn't really needed. Figure out the wiring issue & test your iat sensor.

Concerning your other issues, they maybe related to other problems with the car such as tuning or sensor issues etc.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slammedobd1teg
There is no visual damage to the board itself, which is why i posted the picture of the cover and not the board.

and i already spoke with an administrator and the thread was reopened, so if you do not have something to say that will help me, please keep your comments to yourself.

I am looking for people that have every day experience with tuning, not a bunch of random morons who are reading every thread on h-t.

Well, genius, I do tune and also chip ECU's. I can tell you that the metal didnt burn itself and there wuold be a corresponding conponent failure in that same spot on the ECU board, which is why everyone is asking you for that picture. Even if it is not evident to you that there is something burned it may be to us.

Even MTBER can't give you an exact answer becuase you didnt provide enough info so try providing what people ask in order to help youself next time.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the car was already tuned by cunha at clm racing, and all of the sensors are working correctly and the plugs are not switched.

like i said the car runs great and doesnt throw any codes, then randomly it will start to sputter. its nothing related to the motor/sensors, there is something happening inside the computer that is causing it.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

btw mr know it all turbo church your not helping me so get lost please.

others with actual knowledge and thoughts about what could cause this please chime in.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have actual knowledge and a thought. Post a damn picture of the board, directly under the burn mark.

Is this really that hard to do so that we can help you?
Old 07-01-2010, 12:07 AM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

i will be locking this thread soon if the pic of the board isnt up
Old 07-01-2010, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by locash
I have actual knowledge and a thought. Post a damn picture of the board, directly under the burn mark.

Is this really that hard to do so that we can help you?
Thanks Joe... See, I'm not the only one.

Yeah, I have knowledge of the subject and seeing as you are so persistant to prove that there is nothing wrong with the car, then take it to Cuna and have him fix it.

That is where you should have started to begin with.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ im not persistant to prove there is nothing wrong, i obviously know there is something wrong, i just wanna hear from someone who actually knows something, not just some random bullshitter.

sorry the second one is sideways
Old 07-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you get a picture of the whole ecu? I think you have the wrong end that the burn spot is from. I could be wrong though.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it just me or is there something wrong with the smaller chip on the second page? Ive had one burn and it was due to a small hair line crack due to trying to pry out.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by mtber
Just from the ecu cover picture it looks like you burnt q31 which is due to having your intake air temperature, evap purge, idle air control valve plugs mixed up. Your intake air temperature sensor maybe damaged now too.

The good news, the q31 component isn't really needed. Figure out the wiring issue & test your iat sensor.

Concerning your other issues, they maybe related to other problems with the car such as tuning or sensor issues etc.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i guess i will recheck all the sensors, they are all brand new tho and i know for a fact they are wired correctly.

like i said it started doing this out of no where, the car has been tuned and running amazing for a couple hundred miles.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:25 AM

ok i guess i will recheck all the sensors, they are all brand new tho and i know for a fact they are wired correctly.

like i said it started doing this out of no where, the car has been tuned and running amazing for a couple hundred miles.
Without a full picture of the ecu in detail, posting your questions on here will get you nowhere.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man, we all want to help you.. and I am being serious.. Sorry to have been alittle rude but what you posted really didnt help anyone prove the ecu or the wiring or the sensors for you yet.

We are speculating based on the burn spot that its a component at the other end of the ecu ( near the car wire harness.) This is based on the location of the burn spot and its relation to the center hole which tells you the orientation of the lid on the ecu. If you would please take a picture of the entire ECU from directly above it with fairly good quality ( as you did above) we can help narrow it down.

Also, by telling you what is burned, we can provide you the "why it burned" part and then tell you how to fix it.

Most of the time someone mis-wires something like IAT & purge control and it burns up a component in the ecu and the car will for the most part run very well so you have some of the symptoms of a mis-wired sensor around the intake manifold.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good news doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the computer. Checked everything out today and the pin for the cel was bent which is why it wasn't throwing a code, the ecu cover must have been burnt prior to the s300 being installed.

Datalogged it to find out that it's reaching temps of 220 degrees. So now I have a new problem to solve, thanks tho for trying to help, I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: hondata s300 burnt up?