Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Honda HDS and cheap MVCI cables.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon3 Honda HDS and cheap MVCI cables.

So I got suckered by the MVCI xhorse copy... or so I thought. In HDS I could only access AT and PGM/FI. Just slightly more than a normal OBDII reader.

Today I found out that if you short pins: pin7(K-Line) and pin14(CAN-Low) on the connector/device you can access ABS/IMMO/SRS and read/clear codes, do tests, keys, etc. I also found that these cables cannot short SCS, pin 9 is completely disconnected and even soldering it back produces no short. I have a 2003... but maybe this can help someone else who bought a cheap cable.

What I can't access, however is body electrical. Is there something else I'm missing here. I thought that's where settings for lighting, etc were and I'd like to check it out. Can a real X-horse cable access that menu?
The following users liked this post:
Old 12-18-2017, 01:00 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Honda HDS and cheap MVCI cables.

The J-pins can only access so much prior to a CAN-BUS system being used. A 2003 car is not using CAN-BUS to fully access all of the PIDs including Body Electrical.
You could have accessed the ABS/IMMO/SRS using a generic RS232 integrated system. It's just a voltage parameter. No cable would have helped you.

Get a fully CAN-BUS vehicle, (2013+) then try it all again.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: Honda HDS and cheap MVCI cables.

So how does Honda HIM supposedly access body electrical? It also only connects via DLC. I don't think I could get a better scanner with access to ABS/SRS/keys for under $30. My elm reader doesn't do it. There's not much in the way of software for honda unless you reflash the PCM, even such an old one.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by h0twheels
So how does Honda HIM supposedly access body electrical? It also only connects via DLC. I don't think I could get a better scanner with access to ABS/SRS/keys for under $30. My elm reader doesn't do it. There's not much in the way of software for honda unless you reflash the PCM, even such an old one.
In a 2003 it simply doesn't. This isn't a matter of software for you to access the car, its that the modules do not exist in a 2003 car. No ELM or N1110 Reader or cable combination will see these readings. On a 2003, you are still on a traditional wiring harness system, and not a HIM, PID or other CAN-BUS Based parameter system.
Your PCM will not have access to that information either. It is a traditional wiring system with only ONE PCM, and no other modules. These readers and scanners are for post-production 2013-2014 models when CAN-BUS became a standard.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So it has the immo, srs, abs as modules over the L lines but no lighting control/climate module? They all have to be paired to PCM with HDS if swapping. I know the climate module has settings, turned off the A/C coming on with defogger and the car has a DRL option... I assumed that is the type of stuff in body electrical. Also the car had its ODO turned back and I wanted to see if I could read real VIN and mileage (purported HIM function). Supposedly HIM stopped at 2010 cars officially, newer HDS needs a patch to support it. My bootleg interface masquerades as a GNA600.

What is the second L line for, the one that would be CAN-high on a modern car? Since its a simpler system can the PCM rom be dumped through the DLC? It is rewrite-able.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:48 AM

The , SRS, ABS, and other lines are through independent wiring and brake lines that have a simple clip at the brakes to show voltage so that the ABS solenoids can operate. Even the ABS module isn't computer controlled in these years. The only thing ECM controlled is immobilizer. Lighting and climate control are independent of the ECU entirely, and their own part of the electrical wiring harness. No individual modules, no PIDs, PIMs, NOTHING of that regard. DRL , A/C and defogger are NOT ECM controlled. they have their own sensor module inside the dash itself, and is integrated with the Radio.

The Odometer doesn't go through the ECU either. None of the OBDSTAR hardware or OBDPROG MT401s you're seeing will not support Toyota or Honda even of the correct years. That has an independent chipset within the cluster that you access locally at the cluster with and not via hardware/software. (The only possibility for odometer change and correction is maybe with a Digimaster 3, but even then, that would work for Ford, GM, or SKODA, not Honda).

There's no computer control in those years until at least 2011-2013.

Simpler systems mean, they are harder to hack & control. Not impossible, but definitely can't use your run-of-the-mill hardware through an OBD Access port.

Start getting a wiring diagram and a Manual for the 2003 Civic instead of all of this guessing. I keep telling you that you DO NOT HAVE CAN-BUS ACCESS IN A 2003 CIVIC, SIR.

You have what is on the LEFT. What you think you have is on the RIGHT.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its a CR-V, not civic. I see what you're saying... but I can pulse ABS from the DLC port, I know its not CAN but the J protocol that turned into CAN? So basically I'm able to access IMMO, SRS, ABS independent modules but not the climate/lighting. I think in 2005 or 2004 the car got DBW but I still have the manual system. My options are borrow or buy a HIM or give up then? Unless the climate/lighting is on the other J pin.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:13 PM

Its a CR-V, not civic. I see what you're saying... but I can pulse ABS from the DLC port, I know its not CAN but the J protocol that turned into CAN? So basically I'm able to access IMMO, SRS, ABS independent modules but not the climate/lighting. I think in 2005 or 2004 the car got DBW but I still have the manual system. My options are borrow or buy a HIM or give up then? Unless the climate/lighting is on the other J pin.
​​​​​​Civic or CR-V, it makes no difference. What is important is your car is from 2003-2011, which means NO CAN-BUS AT ALL, sir.
​​​​​ABS had no independent modules. In fact YOU HAVE NO INDEPENDENT MODULES. It's one main solenoid in the bay, that has a harness plug through the ECM..Thats it. You're only seeing the main ECM via the OBD port. The main ECM just makes sure it is present by way of a voltage signal. there's no "controlling" it. What you're seeing in your software is the main ECM, and the main ECM ONLY.

2005 is when DBW was standards on all Hondas. You are 2003. Cable throttle body control.

Yes. Time to give it up, and go back to electro-mechanical diagnostics and control. You have a standard harness like the image on the left that I had shown above. No modules, nothing A HIM can access and control via software.
​​​​​

Nothing "turns" into CAN. A module was either present in the entire system or it wasn't.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

he main ECM just makes sure it is present by way of a voltage signal. there's no "controlling" it.
Then the main ECM can pulse the ABS (each wheel individually) and read/reset the abs codes. SRS can be read but not reset, you have to use 2p connector. And with the ABS its not just some imaginary software thing, the brake pedal moves.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:13 PM

Then the main ECM can pulse the ABS (each wheel individually) and read/reset the abs codes. SRS can be read but not reset, you have to use 2p connector. And with the ABS its not just some imaginary software thing, the brake pedal moves.
It will only pulse what portion of the assembly is connected . The ABS was solenoid activated, not computer/modularity.

Last edited by TheShodan; 12-23-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i realize this is a super old thread but I've upon it twice now and the person writing back trying to make the OP feel like a moron sounds like the moron in my opinion. the OP is exactly right about the fact that the Honda HIM tool can access all this info and even program modules. a car didn't have to be equipped with CAN bus for them to do all the diagnostics and programming and yes all from the DLC port!
i think this is a great question and know it all people who really don't know what they're talking about aggravate the **** outta me! oh and CAN bus was being used in Honda's well before 2013!! i know that the Acura TSX changed to CAN in either 06 or 07! I've got an 05 TSX and the wiring diagrams show that it's more like the image you showed for the CAN bus wiring than the other pic.. at least for things like ABS, PCM, SRS, and a few others i can't remember.. all those are connected with one wire between them and that wire is called CAN H! There's another CAN L that controls body electrical.
Being able to access all those parameters is super impressive for less than $30!! Also thx 4 sharing what you learned with others (about shorting pins 7&14 to access additional functions)! I always appreciate when others share $ saving tips rather than keeping them to themself.
Oh one other thing. sounds like our vehicles use the same interface (ISO9141-2?) I know that the CAN H and CAN L aren't wired all the way to the DLC but in my 2005 car it's possible to get a 2007 PCM & add a wiring adapter (2 wires) to a harness located around mid dash & attach to DLC 6 &14 and ultimately have a CAN bus.. so yeah you were on the right track with thinking that the cars made right before CAN bus was standard were already starting to implement the wiring.
another thing.. I'm not positive but i think the body electrical is controlled by something called the multiplex which is integrated into the fuse box that's in the drivers side foot well.
​​​​

Last edited by Fr33spirit; 01-07-2020 at 12:06 AM. Reason: adding to what i said
The following users liked this post:
Old 07-08-2022, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got suckered by the MVCI xhorse copy... or so I thought. In HDS I could only access AT and PGM/FI. Just slightly more than a normal OBDII reader.

Today I found out that if you short pins: pin7(K-Line) and pin14(CAN-Low) on the connector/device you can access ABS/IMMO/SRS and read/clear codes, do tests, keys, etc. I also found that these cables cannot short SCS, pin 9 is completely disconnected and even soldering it back produces no short. I have a 2003... but maybe this can help someone else who bought a cheap cable.

What I can't access, however is body electrical. Is there something else I'm missing here. I thought that's where settings for lighting, etc were and I'd like to check it out. Can a real X-horse cable access that menu?

Really old but I have to try. Do you mean that you solder pin 7 and 14 together? Or 7 and 14 to ground? 5?

Old 06-04-2023, 04:53 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IT WORKED! short pins: pin7(K-Line) and pin14(CAN-Low) on the HDS cable, and I have access to IMMOBI finally! Programmed my key for my Honda Fit 2005
THANK YOU!

For those of you who dont know how to short pins

by soldering

by connecting with a wire (I used a Ethernet cable wire)

The pic is not 7 and 14. There are marks of numbers on the HDS cable.

Originally Posted by chemaskbg
Really old but I have to try. Do you mean that you solder pin 7 and 14 together? Or 7 and 14 to ground? 5?
I have done it! See my post
7 and 14 on the HDS cable
either solder or connect with wire

Originally Posted by Fr33spirit
i realize this is a super old thread but I've upon it twice now and the person writing back trying to make the OP feel like a moron sounds like the moron in my opinion. the OP is exactly right about the fact that the Honda HIM tool can access all this info and even program modules. a car didn't have to be equipped with CAN bus for them to do all the diagnostics and programming and yes all from the DLC port!
i think this is a great question and know it all people who really don't know what they're talking about aggravate the **** outta me! oh and CAN bus was being used in Honda's well before 2013!! i know that the Acura TSX changed to CAN in either 06 or 07! I've got an 05 TSX and the wiring diagrams show that it's more like the image you showed for the CAN bus wiring than the other pic.. at least for things like ABS, PCM, SRS, and a few others i can't remember.. all those are connected with one wire between them and that wire is called CAN H! There's another CAN L that controls body electrical.
Being able to access all those parameters is super impressive for less than $30!! Also thx 4 sharing what you learned with others (about shorting pins 7&14 to access additional functions)! I always appreciate when others share $ saving tips rather than keeping them to themself.
Oh one other thing. sounds like our vehicles use the same interface (ISO9141-2?) I know that the CAN H and CAN L aren't wired all the way to the DLC but in my 2005 car it's possible to get a 2007 PCM & add a wiring adapter (2 wires) to a harness located around mid dash & attach to DLC 6 &14 and ultimately have a CAN bus.. so yeah you were on the right track with thinking that the cars made right before CAN bus was standard were already starting to implement the wiring.
another thing.. I'm not positive but i think the body electrical is controlled by something called the multiplex which is integrated into the fuse box that's in the drivers side foot well.
​​​​
I have done it and it worked! Thank you from China

Last edited by tech8; 06-05-2023 at 05:32 AM.